Riprap Trail

Riprap Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Crozet, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

This trail is the best. My boyfriend and my dog and I went clockwise and near the end were able to enjoy the stream that lead us to the natural pool. It was so hot until you got to the stream and we had to ration our water because we didn't bring a filter. There was a lot of foot traffic on this beautiful Saturday afternoon. We really took our time on the loop and we're able to enjoy the sunset at the summit. It took us about 7.5 hours and my walking app said we traveled 13miles total. I don't know if it was accurate. There were plenty of blueberries and blackberries side by side so be careful which ones you eat (I don't eat them at all). This app said the trail was dog friendly and mentioned nothing about leash laws. Although we let our dog hike without a leash, you are NOT allowed to have your dog off leash. Even though this trail is very narrow and at times too steep for a leashed dog. All in all I had a wonderful day.

Shenandoah Entrance Fee: $25 for 7 day pass
I did not find the camping permit location but several people were camping at the bottom of the trail near the stream.

We did it the reverse way and enjoyed having the views at the end.

Fun hike. We did it clockwise so we hiked the AT & Widcat Ridge portion first. This section was mostly uphill but at a very gradual ascent. There wasn't much to see or do and the trail was very narrow (throughout the entire hike). None the less it was a nice hike through the woods (we went clockwise to do this part first and save the waterhole and views for the end). We did pass some hikers that encountered a bear and a rattlesnake not far from we were but we didn't see either. The swimming hole was refreshing on the hot day and the view points were a nice place to chill for awhile. Some steep uphill climbs to get to those views but it was worth it.