Learn more

Red Wing Park Gardens

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(41)
Redwing Park

Red Wing Park Gardens is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Virginia Beach, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 0 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

This is the front section of Red Wing Park Gardens, where the gardens actually are. You will find a Japanese garden, rose garden, aroma garden and beautiful wooded trails. Red Wing Park Gardens has three very different areas: the back section is wooded and very wet after a rain. It ends back at the river. The middle section contains sports fields a dog park, the ranger station and zillions of people. The front section contains the beautiful gardens and nice trails.

East trail, well maintained park. Looking forward to coming back in spring to see the cherry trees

Very easy paved trail around the park. Lots of picnic tables, some dogs and kids. Very family friendly! We loved the Japanese garden especially the fish pond. We also went through the forest in the back of the park and followed a few trails. The directions on AllTrails is perfect!

I’m not sure I would call this hiking, more like walking.

nice park, I went walked around and got some good photos. if would have remembered bug spray would have stayed longer than an hour. but very nice park.

Sat Apr 06 2019

Easy & short hike. We went in early April and there were tons of blooming cherry trees that were gorgeous!

bridge out
private property
Thu Apr 04 2019

Forget

Sun Jul 29 2018

At the very back of the park, behind the picnic area, there is a collection of poorly marked but easily navigated trails. There are white blazes, and green blazes and tin medallions embossed with a “hiker” logo. I couldn’t make sense of any of them, but honestly you don’t even need them. My guess is that these trails were created for picnickers to walk off an afternoon of hotdogs, potato salad and beer. Nothing challenging here, but if you don’t like walking on cement, this is a decent alternative. The front of the park has a nice Japanese garden and a well groomed trail through pines and azaleas. Certainly not a “destination” but if you are in the neighborhood it makes for a decent afternoon or morning.

Thu Aug 17 2017

perfect spot to relax with friends or take photographs

Sun Mar 26 2017

tried but, could not find. can anyone give me details. these directions did not get me there.

Sat Feb 18 2017

Nice walk to do with your four legged friend.

Fri Dec 23 2016

Not bad, don't expect to rack up many miles. Tried to find trail all the way to the lake to the NE, but it became hard to follow and I had to stop due to water/swamp. The portions closer to picnic area are nice, dry, and well marked, with occasional sitting spots (benches) in the woods. Be aware that there is some deer hunting activity going on back there. I saw the typical signs, and I believe a few people are allowed to archery hunt there legally.

Wed Dec 07 2016

I took my prom pictures here, in their cozy little Japanese garden. Also, this is no trail, just a large area for sports rec.

Sun Jun 26 2016

Beautiful hiking trails and very easy on our two year old daughter to walk. We loved hearing the birds and we were alone on the trails. Nice playground but REALLY needs to be cleaned and updated.

Thu May 12 2016

It was an easy run.

Mon Mar 30 2015

Nice trail when it's dry. Summer heat brings lots of mosquitoes from the river.

Mon Mar 30 2015

Nice and easy 2.5 mile loop trail around this beautiful park. The Japanese garden is a perfect spot for photo shoots, the woodland trail is well groomed and the river section is sure to have water fowl and sometimes otters and beavers.

Sat Jun 15 2013

This is a really beautiful garden and trails. It was all beautiful and tranquil but I liked the aroma garden best.

Fri Jun 14 2013

The front section of Red Wing Park Gardens is beautiful! It might not be Norfolk Botanical Gardens, but then it is free. The local garden clubs maintain the gardens. I really loved the wooded trails in this section.