Red Trail

Red Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Powell Corner, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I agree the trail is poorly marked. I ended up using gps of the trail to stay on track. Very runnable in spots. Quite and peaceful.

Poorly marked

The red trail, aka Wilkins way, was a good hike, but I have one complaint which is why I didn't give it five stars. The trail was poorly marked in several spots and to make matters worse, the trail map is inconsistent as well. The red trail actually meetes the yellow and brown trails in places which isn't reflected on the map and that combined with poor markings at these locations can be a little confusing. I had to backtrack a couple times. Other than that, it was a great hike!

Parked in the first parking lot. Did the Red Trail loop counter-clockwise. Trail is very nice and "walkable" (not too rocky). Much of it is runnable...

Great trail for walking. I brought a baby carrier for our 6 month old, as this is 95% NOT jogging stroller friendly. It is fun, and is a challenging trail but there are no views. Also make sure to bring lots of water on warmer days.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Decent trails. Well maintained, but no real scenic views. Paths were shared with cyclists, but in most places it was too narrow to share. We took Wilkins Way which was the longest path, but I wouldn't say it was hard. Maybe other trails at the park are more difficult for hiking, and I could see them being difficult as bike trails.

Sunday, February 26, 2017