Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1300)
Bluemont, Virginia

Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,617 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a moderate to hard 4-view trail with the final view point being the most magnificent. This out-and-back hike -- which some locals call "the roller-coaster" -- winds up and down several ridges, some of which are fairly steep. Please note that parking is scarce.

32 minutes ago

Very crowded, but sufficient parking available. Rattlesnake in parking area, killed by a passer-by, tossed into a plastic bag, tossed into his car, then he drove away. I was shocked at how many trees were dead - I estimated well over half of all trees over 25 years of age for about a quarter mile of hike were standing dead carcasses. I had never seen anything like it. As a result, the forest floor was incredibly thick with trees that were less than 30' high and less than 6" in diameter. Perhaps a blight?

Took 5 kids on the trail. Made it all the way to the way to the top with minimal tears. If you’re on the fence about going with kids because the trail is labeled as “hard,” don’t go. The youngest kid was 5 and she had a hard time. It took about 5 hours with stops for snacks and water breaks. Great trail conditions. Park at the lot across the highway.

A good hike with great views! The trail narrows at points so if you’re with a dog keep it in mind.

Great trail. The incline is steady but challenging. The view is immaculate! It’s a little rocky but with the right shoes you’re fine! Check out my IG @Giovonnigifft for videos and pictures!

Good trail, hard but fun

Rocky with continuous ups and downs. The view is nice at the top, not much to see before. Nice hike with the pups!

The roller coaster is accurately nicknamed. Lots of up and downs, but good trail conditions and rocky but not too rocky. There's a really pretty stream crossing before the last uphill push. Crowded trailhead, and troopers were actively towing vehicles parked on the road, and people were parked illegally, blocking other vehciles in in the actual lot. Trail was great, the ups and downs were worth the beauty view from the lookout. (Don't go all the way to the 'summit' at the end where the app has Raven Rocks labelled, there's zero view up there.)

It's a fun hike. Not good for young kids, but perfect for teenagers. There's a big parking lot across the street of route 7, but watch out the traffic when you cross the road. Don't park along Pine Grove, we saw tickets on people's cars when we were out.

Watch for snakes, saw a couple copperheads on 5/23. The trail is fun, lots of ups and downs. One short segment of pretty steep bouldering but easily done. Saw plenty of kiddos and dogs doing fine. View wasn’t the most impressive but very nice. If the lot at the trailhead is full, it’s easy enough to part across Rt 7 at the commuter lot. I arrived on a Saturday at ~8:30 and the parking lot was nearly full. When i left around noon it was paaacked and so was the commuter lot.

This was a great trail to hike on. I would recommend getting there very early on a weekend - we arrived by 9 and got one of the last real spots in the parking lot. The weather was great and there weren’t too many people for the first two hours of the hike. The last hour there were definitely more people. Most were good about stepping off the trail to allow for social distancing, but there were a few who were not as the groups grew larger. We tried to find good places to pull off to allow groups to pass, but definitely wished we had started maybe an hour earlier. With respect to parking, getting out was a nightmare. People illegally parked behind the properly parked cars, making it near impossible to get out. Please do NOT do this!! Park further down the road, or wait until another day if the lot is full. Had to enlist the help of 3 people to do a 30 point turn to get out, and at one point thought it was going to be impossible and contemplated calling a tow truck. Other than that, gorgeous day, moderately challenging hike, fantastic views. We saw maybe 15 people at the lookout point, but there was enough room to keep a proper social distance.

Great trail, when they say hard they aren’t kidding. I took my 6 year old with me.. we made it to the overlook. I will definitely be going back.

Didn’t know what I was getting myself into with this being my first one. A lot ups and downs aka roller coaster trail with plenty of rocks. Be in good shape because I wasn’t, and wear proper shoes, because I didn’t. None the less I made it through round trip with a great view in the middle. Will be better prepared the next time, God be willing. Great home none the less.

One of my favorite hikes. So beautiful and a good work out.

Great trail to bring the dog on! I read a few reviews about the trailhead being closed due to COVID-19 but we had no trouble - the lot was open and there were multiple cars parked there. It was not incredibly crowded, but we passed a few groups along the trail. Views were great from the top - somewhat steep and challenging, but we saw some kids doing it just fine (slowly but surely). We were two relatively fit people with a dog, and it took us 3 hours round trip including 30 mins for lunch at the top (we also were slow passing folks to respect the 6 foot rule!) Highly recommend this hike to get outdoors.

beautiful trail in the woods. the street noises disappears about a half mile in and then it goes into slow rolling hills throughout. it is rocky but manageable and a beautiful overlook is the reward. parking lot is small so get there early

Good workout for your legs. Bring good shoes for the rocks and there are a couple of streams that run though. Great overlook. Parking is limited and definitely better to go during the week than the weekend. Tried to go over the weekend but no parking at the time I went. Went on Monday again and had no problem.

This is a great “roller coaster” trail. It’s short enough to knock out in a couple of hours and has a great view at the end. The trail is rocky at times, so use boots to support ankles and pets may have some challenges. The parking lot is open as of this date and no real issues on the trail.