Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail

Raven Rocks via Appalachian Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bluemont, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2040 feet

Moderate hike, great views - very well maintained & well marked Trail!

rocky but not terrible. nice view, camped .5 before heading up to raven rocks

Very nice hike! It was pretty crowded.

Good hike lives up to rollercoaster name!

Great hike

Great trail! Not much to see after the cliffs. The horse flies are quite active when I hiked the trail.

Nice stretch of trail. Part of the well named roller coaster AT section. Plenty of good water sources and camp sites. Only 4 stars because there is only one nice overlook, but that one is very nice.

Had a great time hiking this section, wish it had more views but nice challenge and glad I got to experience some of the AT while on a work trip.

Blackburn was a great site for hikers.

Super rocky in places but great on a dry sunny day! Difficulty level is moderate to high for seasoned trail hiker / runner.

Saturday was windy and low 20's, love running in the cold. It didn't take very long to heat up with all the elevation. Started off very rocky and hilly but after about 4 miles in, we could pick up the pace. Great views along the way, passed about 20 other people from hikers, dog walkers to runners. We turned around just before Blackburn and did 14 miles out and back with 3700ish' of elevation. Excellent trail, easy to follow, scenic and I'd rate it moderate/difficult IMO, we had an awesome time and would do again if I'm in the area.

They don't call this trail roller coaster (or portion of it) for nothing. We started at Blackburn Trail Center, finished at Route 7 commuter parking lot, total 7.5 miles (one way, not out and back). A good workout. We also reached Bears Den Rock Overlook to the south of the commuter parking lot by adding another mile (out and back) to the total distance. This is part of the Appalachian Trail Virginia section hike.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This is a pretty basic trail but it is has plenty of elevation changes.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

I loved this rigorous hike. Good hiking shoes are a must, on this hilly rock laden part of the AT. I almost ran out of water today and it was a sunless breezy day (brought 36oz, should have doubled, as this would have not had enough on a hotter day). I look forward sharing this special hike with friends and can't wait to do it again.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Excellent trail. Very well marked. Some difficult, rocky terrain. A lot of up and down hills. Loved it.

Monday, April 25, 2016

We backpacked from Blackburn trail center to Ashby Gap through the Rollercoasters in two days. Approx 5500 feet of vertical and carrying 30+ pound packs made this trail challenging. I'm over 50 in ok shape and it took two 11 mile days with 7 hours of hiking each day. There aren't huge mountains but the continuous up and down adds up. We took our two Labradors and they made it ok; very tired like their owners. The trail is well maintained and well marked. There is a mix of rocky, sandy, smooth dirt, gravelly, small stream crossings, great overlooks...basically a small sample of everything you can expect to see on the AT. There were many good water sources, shelters and campsites. Overall I enjoyed the challenge of completing this section and imagine it would be much easier doing an out and back day hike, but then you miss the opportunity to enjoy an amazing sunset and sunrise camping on one of the overlooks.

Tuesday, February 09, 2016

We did this trail last summer on a perfect hiking day.Challenging but doable for our 65+ ladies. I want to plan another similar hike on AT in April. How is this trail different than the Snickers Gap to Blackburn Trail Center?

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Great up and down , up and down workout.
Hight is only 1200 to 1500 feet but not 4800 feet. All trails add wrong height for this track.
Beautiful view from top in WV once we are in that area.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

This is a fun hike. I would personally say its not a a very strenuous hike even though I am just a beginner hiker.

I also dont think there was a 4800ft elevation - can someone please comment on this information.

This was definitely not a loop trail, I am not sure why it says so - its very misleading. For all those who are planning on hiking this one - please be advised that its about 7 miles one way. So if you want to get back to your car parked on Route 7 its about a 14 mile hike and you will ve to retrace your steps.

Something I found out at the end of the hike is that the ATC offers shuttle service. Look up the ATC website for more information - you might ve to contact them a week or so in advance to use this service.

I hope this information helps a few hikers and please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.