Rappahannock River Trail

Rappahannock River Trail is a 8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fredericksburg, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

Miles and miles of trails that follow the Rappahanock River and surround the rock quarry. There's a tunnel that goes under I-95, trails made of logs, nice over look points, and cardiac uphills. Not a very fast trail, but technical at times with a lot of roots, rocks, and drainage problems.

not too bad of a trail for my first hike. definitely looking forward to my next adventure

A great dirt trail along the river. There are a few places ideal to take a break and wade in the river or just sit on the larger rocks.

A lot of easy and flat but also some more technical sections with a couple of climbs.

Easy and scenic hiking for two amateurs. Missed most of the fall foliage but still beautiful.

Nicely marked, lots of shade, & access to the river.

Wonderful time spent on the Rappahannock River Trail. We did the asphalt loop and then ventured off down the hard packed gravel road along side of the Virginia Outdoor Center to the trail head. We were able to squeeze out 10.42 miles in just a few hours and we didn't even hit all the trails. Very well maintained trails that we rode and enjoyed every moment! They had gotten a little rain the night before but it was manageable. Kudos to those who maintain this system because it's a gem! We'll be back...Thanks

Fun trail. make sure to read other reviews on where to find the entrance but a nice trail to walk. Called for rain so very little traffic for us. Nice washed out rocks to sit on along the river. Def will be my local trail to hit on the reg.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great paved trail with opportunities to go off into unpaved trail areas. Beautiful views of the river on the south side of the bridge where the current is much stronger. Great trail my kids enjoy and the location is wonderful for families with Old Mill Park nearby.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Easy way to get away from it all as it's close to downtown. Very little incline unless you break into the woods at the far west end, so great for people with bad knees. Path will be mostly muddy with slight rain in area.

I've done this trail a handful of times and I love the sound of the river makes this feel like you're further away from town.

The trail has quite a few bikers and it gets narrow at times, so beware.

For the full experience, start out by parking in small parking lot at corner of Fall Hill and Normandy. There is a paved path that takes you under Fall Hill road where you can walk over to tubing/kayak company. Stay on gravel/dirt road on left side of those businesses for about a half mile with the canal water on your left. You will go through some gates made of one bar and hit the trail portion at a circular clearing.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

A very nice trail for a quick 8 mile run!

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Enjoy this trail!!!

Monday, November 14, 2016

Absolutely LOVE these trails! Myself and my husband have been running these trails for years and there are far more than the 8 miles of trails listed. These trails are the very best is the Fredericksburg area, there are nice easy trails for beginners along the river, and much harder trails with good incline throughout the trails by simply heading "left" off the main river trail. I'm pretty sure this All Trails website is incorrect though, pretty certain these trails are not horse friendly... I wish they were!

Monday, November 07, 2016

Very clean and safe, lots of bikes and people. Interesting geocaches and lots of birds

Friday, September 09, 2016

Fantastic running trail! Super tough on some of the uphill portions but great views. Definitely watch out for bicycles.

Monday, September 05, 2016

The beginning from Old Mill park is an easy paved trail. Great for walking/running/rollerblading/scootering/strollers and easy bike riding. Too many people for avid cyclists to get any real speed. The trail splits from the Heritage Trail after the Rappahannock River Center. If you follow the Heritage Trail it stays paved as above, if you follow the river trail it is unpaved single track great for hiking/trail running/off-road cycling.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Wasn't crowded. Single pass trails. Stay alert for bikers!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Had a great time on the trail this morning. I walked 6 of the eight miles nice views of the river all the way through.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

I had a wonderful morning hiking six of the eight miles on the Rappahannock River trail. Most of the trail offered splendid views of the river with some very close to the water. I saw a Blue Heron sitting quietly on a rock and at a small movement of mine the big bird swooped off down the river. I started my hike at the Virginia Outdoor Center where the Friends of the Rappahannock are on Fall Hill Avenue and eventually got on the river trail when I reached a quarry. There was some road construction on Fall Hill Ave and it wasn't easy to find the beginning of the trail as marked at All Trails. I parked on a side street just across from the Friends off of Fall Hill Ave and I think it was Normandy Avenue. As I was making my way up to the quarry I came upon a sign that said the trail was closed because a bridge was out but I just walked around to left and was able to continue up to the quarry. I did the hike in August and was out on the trail by 7:30 A.M in order to escape the high temperatures that would arrive later in the morning. I would definitely do this hike again because I love river hikes. During my hike I only saw one other person who was cycling.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Scenic river walk. Paved & marked.

Friday, June 19, 2015

This is a good trail for running providing wide and single tracks.

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Fun trail, went up and down every passage we could find and it was about 9 miles total, some of the trails are roped off (wondering if that's where the other 6 miles of trails are) but it was fun. Ticks are rough right now and the quarry trail was closed. Entrance was difficult to find but we eventually made it. A good hike, relatively level terrain most of the way through.

Monday, September 15, 2014

I come to this trail about once a week on the Mountain Bike. Depending on my mood and activity level that day there are a multitude of trails to choose from for an moderately easy cruise to strenuous uphills and treacherous downs that are not for the faint of heart or inexperienced.

The trail overall is well kept singletrack with log obstacles and little rock jumps here and there. No man-made banks but the constant riding does a good job at curving high speed corners. The trail isn't marked as far as trail heads and where things split so head to my helpful link below and download and print the map from FAMBE. Even with it it's hard to know which path is which if your not good with navigation.

That being said, if you do get lost just follow the water downstream to get back to the I-95 bridge or upstream to get out over by Celebrate Virginia and Wegmans. So its not hard to be found! Also watch out for the Quarry, the water is nice but plenty have taken tumbles into the drink and I've seen police dragging it with nets so be aware of what you might be falling into!

As with any trail there are other's on it, so be careful in spots, the sound of water or people with headphones make it hard to hear oncoming bikes that may be speeding through. There are several blind corners where I could foresee someone flying through and plowing into a less skilled rider or hiker with headphones.

I believe FAMBE is going to head out to post trail head signs or tag them with colored ribbon or something so it is easier to identify which head is which so stay tuned.

AS always clean up your trash! Lots of beer drinking litterers around there leaving cans and smokes in spots and knocking branches into the path. Be respectful to those who MTB, one loose stick could spell disaster!

Monday, January 20, 2014

Nice hike. Hard to find parking. Also trail entrance hard to spot. Walk along the water. Go back to quarry then hit the trails. Pretty steep in some spots. Loved it!

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Steep ravines and washout didn't detract from this fun hike w my daughter and her Beagle. Plenty of flat-- the steep ravines can actually be avoided if you prefer. Locals know more than one way into the trail and can be shorter or longer depending on the time you have to devote.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Amazing sight to visit doesn't really all the vibe it deserves roots rocks washed out spots over all it has allot of mtb problems and way more activities around it also check out alum springs great spot not to bike but climb and hike

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Great hike, nice scenes, log hops.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nice trail for the area. A lot of different routes to choose from. Still has some trees down, bad root patches, and a lot of log hops. It's overall a good trail. Still worth the drive to go to fountain head though.