Pyrite Mine Loop Trail

Pyrite Mine Loop Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Triangle, Virginia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

Explore the Pyrite Mine ruins and catch some terrific waterfalls, wildlife, and a good hike. Not into hiking? Put on the bathing suit and bring an innertube and float away on the river (nice and slow). The trail starts out with small steep sections, and plenty of bridged water crossings. The trail gets muddy after rains, so bring a hiking stick as necessary, and bug spray. Most of the hike is along a river or stream. Along the Pyrite mine section of the trail, you can see and explore ruins with interpretive signs.

Not a crowded park - great for peaceful walks with the dog.

Easy hike with lots of water points at campgrounds along the trail.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Well maintained for a nice and easy hike. Lots of shades.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Easy trail with awesome creekside stretches. Perfect for pups. Decently crowded even in winter months.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I loved this trail and will be going back. Despite this National Park being almost in my backyard, I have never been here before and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

One thing you should know is that the Prince William Forest Park has a lot of trails in it. Korie (below) is right - it's really a series of trails that make up the Pyrite Mine Trail Loop. The trails are well maintained and are a mix of flats and moderate hills. Trail markers are a combination of typical color markings on trees and at trail intersections there are [sometimes] easy to read indications as to which direction to go on. It's easy to get turned around and on the wrong trail so I would highly recommend stopping at the visitor center and getting one of the good trail maps they have.

The Pyrite Mine placards were very informative and reveal quite a bit of history about the area that I was completely ignorant of. It was fascinating to see a new forest grown over what had been an environmental blight. But the mine served its purpose and with help from mankind the forest has reclaimed the area.

The Visitor Center was great and there are some excellent displays of local wildlife, a relief map (which was very cool) and some supplies and t-shirts and such to buy. The Ranger we met there was super-informed, very friendly and really seemed to know what she was doing.

BTW - if you're interested in orienteering, there's an orienteering kit you can get at the Visitor Center and a log-book so you can record your tracks.

I would definitely recommend this and will be going back again. Great trails.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Perfect for a fairly flat relaxing hike

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Two important things to know about this trail: 1. It is within a National Park (Prince William Forest Park) and includes a $7 fee per car, and 2. There is no actual Pyrite Mine Trail Loop. PMTL is a cluster of trails , which grouped together, make up this loop. They call this larger loop made up of trails, PMTL to honor the former mine that was shutdown in the 20s and underwent natural restoration by FDR. There are a number of sites along the trail providing history and certain aspects about the former mine. Make sure to go to the info center to have the park rangers highlight the trails/loop that make-up PMTL. Also, be sure to take a map with you. The paint markings on the trees are for the most part helpful to guide the way; however, there are a few confusing patches where trees don't have markers, and we found the map to be a bit of a lifeline for navigation.The loop itself is delightful. It is entirely covered by a canopy of trees. The forest is lush and green. This is a moderate trail with a number of challenging patches, but completely doable. So far, this has been the best hike we have done. I recommend it to those looking for a bit of a challenge (not major) and who love dogs (tons of people bring their pups out on a hike or run.)

Have fun!

Saturday, July 02, 2016

This is a very nice park for the DC area. It wasn't crowded even on the main trail on a holiday weekend. Normally, you feel like you're in a shopping mall the trails are so crowded. There are a bunch of others that are more remote that we are going to go back to hike. There is also tent and car camping areas we will check out. The visitors center is nice and the rangers are helpful in planning your hike. Lots of creek for your dogs to cool off in with a few spots deep enough for swimming. It isn't the most challenging hike and there are no amazing vistas, but in the DC area finding a place that doesn't feel overwhelmed with humanity is truly amazing.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

We enjoyed this park/trail. Not a lot of people which makes it very peaceful.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

I couldn't find any of the attractions

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Interesting terrain, good workout.

Friday, February 27, 2015

This is one of the most interesting trails in PW Nat'l Forrest--with many off-shoots that will catch your interest. I usually access the trail from the 1.5mi. road leading in from the parking lot near the bike trail. You can custom fit this trail to your fancy very easily. The trail from the Laurel Loop through the Pyrite Mine is my favorite way to go. It's a great way to check out the origins of some the area's industries from days gone by. On the lower-end of the moderate spectrum. A real beaut!

Friday, July 11, 2014

Had many trails that could be taken to lengthen or shorten the hike but it offered well shaded paths, nice scenery, clear trails, some wild life spotting, some challenges (for you adventure types), and there's a paved bike trail as well. You will need a map to assist in navigating the routes you want, but that is obtained at the ranger station near the visitors center.

Friday, April 25, 2014

My son and I actually started out on this trail (Pyrite) then branched off. There are many trails within Prince William Forest Park and we did a bit over 20 miles one day over Spring Break. You can hike from Pyrite Mine Loop up to Laurel Loop, South Valley Trail, North Valley Trail and further to reach the falls and many areas go from quite easy to very hard climbing. The trails were all well marked and not very busy at all. The entire area can definitely be customized to fit the hike you want that day from easy to hard.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I am currently recovering from an ankle sprain and this was the first hike I've done since the sprain. The trails were well worn and clear of most obstacles. I felt sure-footed the entire time despite the old injury. Not sure how crowded it normally is on weekends since I did this one on a Monday, but the park is pretty big and this hike starts near the back (parking lot D on the park map) so maybe it still wouldn't be so bad. It was extremely peaceful. The cascades are beautiful, although not quite what I was expecting. The old mine isn't much to look at and the informational signs are a bit of a joke, but it's still an interesting destination. Plus - plenty of rocks to climb over for the more able-bodied folks. Overall, it was a very enjoyable,easy-to-moderate hike.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Prince William forest park is an awesome place to hike. I have done 3 different trails over the weekend. I recommend getting a map. it is also a nice place t I ride ur bike.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Right off I-95, this is easy to get to... I have hiked this trail many times in different segments and all the seasons.... I love the stream/creek... it is quiet out there... We esp. love in the cold winter-- This last winter... we went during the freeze, and the creek had frozen.... The trail is clean, not many tree roots to watch out for.... When I go alone with my 2 dogs I feel safe.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

This was a easy side of Moderate trail that I would do again. It was a nice day outdoors and fairly close to home. Check out our blog for pictures and more information about this trail.http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=430591391775737775#editor/target=post;postID=8488928969672176867

Thursday, July 19, 2012

My son and I hiked this trail and we also took a different route. Started in the Pine Grove picnic area ( Park at the bottom of the lot and walk across field to find trailhead) We took the south valley trail, to the north valley trail then up to the pyrite mine trail and back. Not sure how long it was.

Loved the trail, very pretty. A lot of the trail follows the creek. I would say this is a moderate/intermediate trail.

Next time my son a I do this trail I would like to continue on the north valley trail up to Quantico cascades trail

Monday, August 08, 2011

Hiked around this area using various trails. Definitely stop by the ranger station and get a map. Note: some entrances are now closed due to cut through traffic. The open one is close by I-95. A little difficult to find trailhead. Trails are well blazed though.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

5 stars for an everything hike! waterfalls, deers that run you over, mine ruins, great scenery, good trail length!