Powhatan Wildlife Management Area Trails

Powhatan Wildlife Management Area Trails is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Powhatan, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Please note this is a Wildlife Management Area. There are marked trails in the park, but other activities such as hunting and fishing are also popular. Ensure your safety by wearing bright colors and staying on or around the trails. Many of the trails are overgrown and ticks are common. There may be times you'll need to go off trail abruptly and also note, certain trails may be closed to horses.

Did about half the trail that is shown on the AllTrails website for this management area. Some previous reviews stated that they had to backtrack because they could not cross a specific Creek. I was able to do so easily due to the lack of rain that we’ve had lately. Everything was bone dry. I’m sure this is a beautiful and very scenic Trail in the spring once all the flowers and trees bloom. There were at least 4 to 5 creeks that I crossed during this hike, but the biggest one of all was by the Lily Pond, which again, would have been difficult if not impossible to cross if it had recently rained. Hard to believe but for the several hours it took me to hike this trail, I only saw two other people, and they were turkey hunters exiting the park as I was entering. I did not see another living soul for the entire hike.. I must admit that at certain times, this trail was quite challenging, Especially on the long uphill climbs. I will most certainly sleep very well tonight! :-)

The trail does not connect the way it is shown on the map. It dead-ends resulting in 4 miles of backtracking.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This was an easy hike but the trail ends just before the end. Maybe there was a trail but we couldn't find it. Did see two turkeys but there's not much else to see except the ticks (which were plentiful)

Saturday, February 04, 2017

The map for this hike is very inaccurate. At one point the route takes you over a wetlands area labeled as "no crossing" on the DGIF maps. I kinda enjoy that sort of thing, but be advised. There are a few other spots that don't add up, but the navigation locator within the map is very accurate and that made it easy to follow. One also needs an Access Permit to use this area.

Despite that this was a great hike. It's all turf/ gravel access roads except the portion mentioned above. I didn't see a single person and to be able to hike that far in mature upland forest free of invasive species - all within 40 minutes of Richmond - that was just awesome! You cross many small creeks, through meadows and past ponds and a swamp. I saw turkey, deer, an owl, grouse, and a Pileated Woodpecker. I will definitely be back in the spring and fall.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Nice for solitude. The trails aren't marked too well, but it is hard to get off them.

There are a couple of ponds that are beautifully filled with lily pads.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Not very scenic this time of year. (December) Maybe was expecting more after a two hour drive???

Saturday, October 08, 2011

If there's one thing a "wildlife management area" (WMA) screams, it's hunting and fishing - especially hunting. That IS HOW they manage that wildlife. I didn't know that we had coyote and bobcat in Virginia - black bear, yes. So you always need to be on the lookout just in case. If you're going to use a wildlife management area for hiking in the fall, then you need to be wearing clothing and gear that makes you VERY visible. My Camelbak is a bright yellow, so I was safe in that regard. I hiked on a Friday afternoon/evening, so I didn't encounter a whole lot of traffic. But toward sunset, I DID hear gunshots, so I was glad to be finishing up. ---

From the areas I hiked, it would seem that most of these trails are grass - which means that IF you chose to hike during peak tick season May through September, you need to wear long pants and use insect repellent. The trails are reasonably maintained, but in many areas, the grasses can be 4 to 6 inches long. In many places, the ground had a softer feel to it than other hiking trails I've been on, and so in combination with the grass, it made for a tougher hike - I felt the need to step higher - almost like a marching gait. The terrain on the trails I took was a good combination of flat and rolling and provided what I would consider a good venue for fitness hiking. ---

There are 5 main trails running through the WMA: Powerline, Fescue (the longest), Arrowhead, Dogwood, and the CCC, which is more of a dirt road to allow vehicle traffic to and from the single residence there. Most of the other trails connect off these five. There is a good combination of open and forested areas, so if you want to get some sun while you're hiking, this a good place. I also noticed quite a number of corn fields (yes, corn fields) throughout the area. ---

There are also 4 ponds positioned through the center of the area plus 2 lakes north of Route 60. A number of streams criss-cross the area as well. There are numerous parking areas surrounding the WMA - 7 lots south of Route 60 in strategic locations (2 off Route 60/601, 3 off Route 627 and 2 off Route 13), where the majority of the WMA lays. From the map, it appears that most (if not all) of the gates at the parking areas are closed to vehicle traffic, so you have to hike in. ---

All in all, I really enjoyed discovering the area, which was new to me. I had to drive about 20 miles further west than I'm used to, but it was thrilling to discover a new trail system to add to my repertoire. It was through AllTrails.com that I even found it. I plan on going back for a longer venture.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

I went riding today for the first time at this park and was disappointed that several trails were closed to horses. Due to the closures we had to back track twice as there were no connecting trails to make a nice loop. The trails were wide and some were shady but the grasses were a tad long and I flicked ticks off of myself and my horse during our ride. We also came across a down tree that was impassable that needs to be removed.

Monday, July 17, 2017