Powhatan Trail

Powhatan Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chesterfield, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Richmond, VA: Pocahontas State Park is in Chesterfield County, about 20 miles south of Richmond. From I-95, take Exit 61 and go west on Route 10 to Route 655, Beach Road; or take Exit 67, go north on Route 150 to Route 10; go east to Beach Road. The park is four miles on right; or take Route 288 from I-95 to Route 10 East and go one mile to Beach Road. Follow Beach Road to the park entrance. Turn right into the first parking area and the trailhead is located there.

I made a last-minute decision to hike this trail instead of Beaver Lake Trail, and it was a little disappointing. Pretty enough, but not much challenge.I followed one turn-off that took me to a camping area, and it was an out-and-back trail, so I had to spend time retracing my steps and finding a longer/better section to hike. I picked up Beaver Lake Trail after a couple of false starts on this one, and then I was happier.

This path was quiet with some hills and mostly gravel, not a fan of it crossing onto the road a little ways in. I did go off the beaten path by taking a bike trail the added some length to my hike.

Nice trail. A bit of elevation change gives it some bite and the hardwoods are pretty. Quite a bit of mountain bike traffic.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A beautiful woodland trail, but it was a workout.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A very nice walk in the woods. There is enough up and down to make it seem a little longer if you are from the flat lands. It is a beautiful crisp fall day with bright blue sky and sunshine.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014