Powhatan Trail

Powhatan Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chesterfield, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Richmond, VA: Pocahontas State Park is in Chesterfield County, about 20 miles south of Richmond. From I-95, take Exit 61 and go west on Route 10 to Route 655, Beach Road; or take Exit 67, go north on Route 150 to Route 10; go east to Beach Road. The park is four miles on right; or take Route 288 from I-95 to Route 10 East and go one mile to Beach Road. Follow Beach Road to the park entrance. Turn right into the first parking area and the trailhead is located there.

Nice trail around the lake but did not feel like more then 2 miles, and seems to be a connector trail for the campers staying at the park or an easy way to a longer bike loop trail which is misleading on the map, we had to turn back. Also not a fan of the disconnection off the trail with the street crossings.
Forest exploration and Beaver are much better trails for walking.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

I made a last-minute decision to hike this trail instead of Beaver Lake Trail, and it was a little disappointing. Pretty enough, but not much challenge.I followed one turn-off that took me to a camping area, and it was an out-and-back trail, so I had to spend time retracing my steps and finding a longer/better section to hike. I picked up Beaver Lake Trail after a couple of false starts on this one, and then I was happier.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

This path was quiet with some hills and mostly gravel, not a fan of it crossing onto the road a little ways in. I did go off the beaten path by taking a bike trail the added some length to my hike.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Nice trail. A bit of elevation change gives it some bite and the hardwoods are pretty. Quite a bit of mountain bike traffic.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A beautiful woodland trail, but it was a workout.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A very nice walk in the woods. There is enough up and down to make it seem a little longer if you are from the flat lands. It is a beautiful crisp fall day with bright blue sky and sunshine.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017