Potatopatch Mountain Loop

Potatopatch Mountain Loop is a 13.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wintergreen, Virginia. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Coming Soon

This was ok, but I expected more views. It was some good exercise though

We hiked clockwise and for the first 4 miles or so it was fine. Lots and rocks and definitely tough footing but doable. Then we had to cross wintergreen ski slopes...definitely would check what their season is if doing this hike in the winter. We had to hike across a snowy slope. It was cool, but luckily the season had not started yet. About a mile after wintergreen, the trail became extremely difficult to follow. Lots of different trails intersecting, downed trees and just a general lack of directions. We had GPS but it was tough to figure out where to go. We ended up turning around and hiking back the way we came, so I don’t know anything about the hike past about 5 miles in. If someone else has hiked this, please post your review...don’t think I’ll be hiking this one again due to lack of directions. I will say, the beginning of the hike was beautiful with the waterfall and dramatic rock features.

I started counter clockwise and was fairly easy at first, but after a few miles became more difficult. There was definitely a lot of steep inclines and declines. I wasn't expecting to see houses in the start and end of the trail, but the trail quickly became pretty remote. Probably the hardest one day hike I have done anywhere around this area. Some great views and nice waterfalls.

The trail is in pretty good condition, but some sections are treacherous. This trail isn't for you if you hike for scenic views, as there are only a couple and you're in the woods the entire time. "Hard" is an understatement for this trail's difficulty. Overall, it's a good, challenging trail.

Monday, May 29, 2017