Poor Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Roanoke, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike. Was a bit foggy when we left. We only made it about 3/4's of the way on the long loop as we ran across a very aggressive copperhead and had to turn back. Otherwise, a great hike!

This trail had nice views but was pretty shaded by trees. I ended up taking a much longer loop which was both positive and negative!

the hike was really pretty. it was very shaded. the overlook was amazing, just not enough places to sit and enjoy the view besides one tiny bench. overall i really enjoyed it.

Fun hike, kind of tough. Great views. Saw a bear. it is the end of summer so many places on the trails are starting to get tight due to vegetation. It is obvious that a lot of time and effort has gone into making this accessible and safe. Not a beginner's hike. I recommend coming after the leaves have fallen, the views would be breathtaking. A little rocky so wear good shoes.

Hiked blue loop counter-clockwise in 2 hours. Pleasant overlook toward beginning of hike. Then steep descent. Cascading water falls toward middle of hike. Then gradual ascent. Trail clearly blazed and well-maintained with numerous benches for breaks. Small parking area at start. Have to hike in a bit before reaching map.

Wonderful walk in the woods with a great view and waterfall. I walked it counter clockwise, the end was steep but did not take long. Took about 2.5 hours. The only difference I would make is to go clockwise so I could have seen the sun set at the overlook. Very peaceful trail

Fun hike with a little bit of everything. You get wildlife, waterfalls, and some scenic views. The uphill climbs can be a little challenging but over all it's worth the hike.

Short 3.5mile trail with many switchbacks, perfect for trail running

Great hike for our family! Our two boys (ages 9 & 5) had no trouble navigating the smaller Red Loop trail. We also hiked out to the overlook on the longer Blue Loop trail (about .3 miles) and although it was definitely more challenging for the boys they handled it no problem and we were rewarded with some awesome views! I highly recommend exploring these trails! The only downside is that the parking lot is relatively small and tight so I would recommend getting there in the morning especially if you’re planning to hike these trails on a weekend.

Great hike down to a stream. Mostly switchbacks on narrow paths. Beautiful views along the way! Puts me in a great state of mind each time

Beautiful, relatively short hike. We hiked it counter-clockwise, which made for a steeper descent (occasional rock stairs) and fairly smooth, gradual climb. It’s worth taking both spurs — one to the vista/viewpoint and the other to the (smallish) waterfalls.

beautiful hike we hiked it counter clockwise ,a little strenuous toward the end very steep but very doable ,2 waterfalls,a few overlooks loved it

Great Hike. Definitely better to do the loop counter clockwise. Not much parking.

This was an awesome trail! Upon arrival we found that there is an easy 1 mile trail loop and a 4 mile more difficult loop. We did the more difficult loop with some snow on the ground and it was beautiful! Many places with gorgeous views of the mountains and lots of waterfall “rapid” spots to admire! Absolutely loved this trail, one of the best I’ve been on!

I started out doing the pirate bush trail which was a breeze, so I decided to go for the whole loop. I enjoyed it! It was a lot more strenuous than I was expecting with a one year old on my back, but I would recommend it! It took me about 4 hours to do the pirate bush loop and then loop around the whole 3.7 mile loop with frequent stops.

I would like to add that the GPS directions linked to this site are incorrect. Google Poor Mountain Preserve and that will bring you right to the parking lot.

Unfortunately weren't able to make it to the cascades but the Outlook Trail was best part of this hike! Beautiful view but was a pretty strenuous hike overall and was a bit muddy as a couple parts.

Decent trail, a couple of nice views of the valley.

Hiked the Piratebush loop, cascade, and overlook portions of the trail. The cascade was a bonus. But was only especially unique because it was frozen over.

Parts were strenuous. The gps will lead you to the wrong place. Put the name “Poor Mountain Natural Area Preserve” in your gps to get to the right parking area.

Probably would do the overlook portion again but nothing else.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

I’m sorry but for me it was just ok. I have been doing a lot of hiking lately and I probably wouldn’t do it again.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

A very nice trail run. Some technical parts and some nice down hill running. A very nice loop. GPS will lead you to wrong location.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Beautiful hike!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Great trail! Easy to follow. Great workout

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Fun hike! We took the longer loop trail down to the creek at the bottom and back up. I wanted to hike it counter-clockwise as recommended in some of the reviews but I was outvoted. Strenuous at times but not a killer by any means.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Quiet hike with serene views!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Great loop of trails! The trail goes down the mountain and then back up. Excited to head back sometime to explore when I have more time.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

I found it a little boring..not the greatest views...also not eady to find..

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Went on the blue trail which was very clearly marked all the way through, no chance to get lost. Beautiful view, and my 13 year old loved climbing on the cascades at the bottom. The hike back up is a little steep, and strenuous, but it is definitely worth the views. Will be doing it again in the fall.