Poor Mountain Trail

Poor Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Roanoke, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beautiful hike we hiked it counter clockwise ,a little strenuous toward the end very steep but very doable ,2 waterfalls,a few overlooks loved it

Great Hike. Definitely better to do the loop counter clockwise. Not much parking.

This was an awesome trail! Upon arrival we found that there is an easy 1 mile trail loop and a 4 mile more difficult loop. We did the more difficult loop with some snow on the ground and it was beautiful! Many places with gorgeous views of the mountains and lots of waterfall “rapid” spots to admire! Absolutely loved this trail, one of the best I’ve been on!

I started out doing the pirate bush trail which was a breeze, so I decided to go for the whole loop. I enjoyed it! It was a lot more strenuous than I was expecting with a one year old on my back, but I would recommend it! It took me about 4 hours to do the pirate bush loop and then loop around the whole 3.7 mile loop with frequent stops.

I would like to add that the GPS directions linked to this site are incorrect. Google Poor Mountain Preserve and that will bring you right to the parking lot.

Unfortunately weren't able to make it to the cascades but the Outlook Trail was best part of this hike! Beautiful view but was a pretty strenuous hike overall and was a bit muddy as a couple parts.

Decent trail, a couple of nice views of the valley.

Hiked the Piratebush loop, cascade, and overlook portions of the trail. The cascade was a bonus. But was only especially unique because it was frozen over.

Parts were strenuous. The gps will lead you to the wrong place. Put the name “Poor Mountain Natural Area Preserve” in your gps to get to the right parking area.

Probably would do the overlook portion again but nothing else.

I’m sorry but for me it was just ok. I have been doing a lot of hiking lately and I probably wouldn’t do it again.

A very nice trail run. Some technical parts and some nice down hill running. A very nice loop. GPS will lead you to wrong location.

Beautiful hike!

Great trail! Easy to follow. Great workout

Fun hike! We took the longer loop trail down to the creek at the bottom and back up. I wanted to hike it counter-clockwise as recommended in some of the reviews but I was outvoted. Strenuous at times but not a killer by any means.

Quiet hike with serene views!

Great loop of trails! The trail goes down the mountain and then back up. Excited to head back sometime to explore when I have more time.

I found it a little boring..not the greatest views...also not eady to find..

Went on the blue trail which was very clearly marked all the way through, no chance to get lost. Beautiful view, and my 13 year old loved climbing on the cascades at the bottom. The hike back up is a little steep, and strenuous, but it is definitely worth the views. Will be doing it again in the fall.

Nice short hike that is family friendly, with a nice view at the top!

Opted for the longer loop. Not the most scenic hike, creek was nice for the dog but no great area to relax and take it in.

Overgrown. Leads down to a creepy old abandoned barn. Didn't love the vibe and backed out.

I love this trail! it is somewhat quick, convenient, and provides a little sense of accomplishment. The trail is in good condition. The 2nd half of the loop is a bit strenuous. The overlook is beautiful year round. Also, you can spot some nice wildlife.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Nice hike, 3.8 miles total. Not the most scenic.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

I did the Blue trail which was very well marked but challenging for the rocky terrain and elevation change. The trail was well maintained and had a few benches at the outlook points, also a few streams for the dogs to get a drink. The parking lot was 1/2 mile from the gps directions but again well marked and easy to find.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Fun family hike.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Did the 4 mile loop (blue blaze) turn right just past the signs for trails going this way Help I have an older lab Who has trouble with stairs so the exit was steep but no stairs. Good views from several different places. Good for a trail this close to Roanoke.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Great trail with breathtaking overlook. Only saw a handful of other hikers on the trail. Walked the red, then blue trail and it seemed longer than 4 miles. Fitbit recorded over 5 miles. Great leg work out.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Solid trail. Good leg exercise for the "strenuous trail". Cell service was nice to have, and several clearings in the trees afforded great views of the Roanoke valley!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Definitely a good place to walk the dog. Only did the Red trail this time. Looking forward to going back