Pocosin Trail

Pocosin Trail is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Stanardsville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 426 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pocosin Trail meanders down a fire road from Skyline Drive in Shenandoah park. Along the trail is an old cabin and the ruins of an old missionary in the Shenandoah hills. Around mile 59.5 on Skyline Drive, you will see a small gravel road leading to a parking lot on the eastern side of the trail. Park here, cross the chain, and walk down the fire road to start the trail.

Turn on to the fire road to park! Missed it the first time, had to turn around at the overlook. OK trail, gravelly fire road gives way to rocky fire road, slippery and damp. All downhill with little to see until ruins. Ruins were cool though, if you like abandoned stuff. We liked them. Only 1 other group on a hot midday in October. For the not terribly seasoned (ahem-us and our dogs) it was a haul getting back up the hill.

A super easy hike for kids. Neat ruins at the end, but watch out for rusty metal and broken glass.

Great hike on a beautiful day. Cool cabin and missionary ruins. Trail is easy, our 4 year old had no problem with it.

Relatively accessible trail for young & old. Great sites to explore - boarded up cabin is very soon after the start; the old missionary ruins are at the very end. Downhill on the way in and uphill on the way out, but manageable. Highly recommend!

Easy walking trail to do with little kids. The road gets very muddy after rain and area tends to be buggy. Not a lot of people in this trail, so it's a quite walk in the woods. On the way back, walked up on a black bear crossing the hiking path. As for the ruins, there was a broken down wood shed, a small piece of a stone wall and a few rusted pans lying around. Nothing interesting to see. My kids were bored and still talk about the time I took them to see the 'ruins.' But if looking for a quiet, quick easy walk with only the forest for scenery, this is a good walk.

This is a nice easy trail with not a lot of traffic. The cabin and old building further down were really cool. We saw a lot of wildlife, turkey, salamanders, and a few bears.

Couldn’t find trail but gravel road was fun

Getting some miles in on the dirt road

Boyfriend loves me a lot

Sat Jun 23 2018

I walked this trail with my two year old son riding in my pack. It was a little more treacherous than I would have liked, considering such. The rain washed out a good portion of the road and it gets pretty slippery. But the ruins were really neat and worth the short hike.

Tue Apr 24 2018

We were able to bring our dog for an easy hike. Nice forest setting but not too much else to see.

Tue Oct 17 2017

Steeper than I expected on the way back up. Ruins were great to explore

Mon May 15 2017

Good for family hiking

Fri Feb 27 2015

This is a very nice hike/walk. I ran the trail a little to increase the workout. If you continue past the old mission moving south along the trails there are some really cool artifacts there. I uploaded a few pictures. It's worth walking an extra half mile.

Sat Aug 20 2011

Good easy hike. Something to see if you need an easy day.

Tue Nov 27 2018