Petersburg National Battlefield Park Trails

Petersburg National Battlefield Park Trails is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hopewell, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I spent about 7 hours hiking the trails here and still didn't see all of it. There is great scenery and history, but the map is inaccurate otherwise this would be a 5.

Love this place!!

Great hiking trails. Flat. Good for bikes as well.

Great hiking trails. Flat. Good for bikes as well.

I truly have enjoyed running through the park. Have run the Road Tour. Good shoulder for bikers, walkers and runners.
7+ miles for round trip. (Many trails that could be explored as well)
Good challenge. Some decent hills along the way, both ways.
Beautiful, peaceful scenic road lined with trees. Seen multiple deer while running.
If in the Colonial Heights area and want a very nice place to get some miles in, make sure to visit this park.

great walk

Nice hike through a historic area. The entire trail is well marked as well.

Great trails for running or hiking with the family.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Great and safe for running; easy for hiking.

Friday, October 21, 2016

Beautifully maintained wide trails. Friendly and helpful staff. Superb educational value. Very convenient for soldiers.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Sunday, May 03, 2015

The Petersburg Battlefield- Eastern Front is a nice easy drive with lots of opportunities to get out of the car and traverse the historical battlefields. Lots of areas to park and take in some of the provided historical markers and information, including the Battle of the Crater. Definitely more "user friendly" than the Western Front.

scenic driving
Tuesday, December 31, 2013

We drove the front roads of which there are about 25 miles.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

From 1988 to 1991 I ran the trails of the park on a daily bases. At the time, I was assigned to the 85th Evacuation Hospital, and attached to Kenner Army Hospital. The park was just across a parking lot from Kenner and I would run every day after work. We soldiers had no idea we were trail runners at the time, it was just getting our miles in for the week. Since that time I have met many trail runners on trails in Georgia and Florida. I admire them for their skill. A great park for hiking and trail running. History is all around you.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

This is our go to trail. Not sure too many people know of the 12 miles of mostly single track (some jeep type access roads) that run through the park. See runners and horse back riders, but seldom run across mountain bikers back in the woods. I would rate it easy to moderate, some steep climbs and good turns, not many roots.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Great run including some steep hills. It offers a fantastic workout with a great background. I had to stop to check out the earthen structures used during the civil war, very cool .

Saturday, July 21, 2012

I hike but my favorite thing to do is horse back riding. The trails are great here. I love the bridges and streams to cross. Only negative is the rocks. I know why the park does it, but its a little tuff on bare feet.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Petersburg is more of a driving tour than a hiking tour, but there are easy, scenic and educational walks at several points along the three auto tour routes. You can walk the roads - the Eastern Front route being only about four miles long (point-to-point), and the Western Front route being about 16 miles (point-to-point). Personally, I find the Eastern Front tour and walks to be more interesting.

recorded Bike ride