Flat Top Mountain Trail

Flat Top Mountain Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bedford, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The views are spectacular but this trail is very popular due to it's proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Fun hike. Moderately difficult. Very nice forestry and wildlife. Diverse trail including flat and rocky areas. While getting a view at the top is harder than it’s twin mountain, Sharp Top, the top has 2 rock tops you can stand on to see around offering nice views. Definitely recommend for those who want a mountain hike without the intensity

The hike yielded incredible views of sharp top with a great spot for sunset! The trail never gets too steep and is clearly marked! Highly highly recommend this one!

Great hike! It’s a nice walk up and the trail is well maintained. At the the top we hung out on a few boulders and had some snacks. I would definitely recommend it

Amazing trail! Steep at times. Lots of rocks. But a very wonderful hike !

easy in and out. switchbacks most of the way.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great leisurely hike! Views at the top are grand and the trail is definitely not as busy as sharp top.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Longish and leisurely hike. It was nice to have people direct us as they were coming down and we were nearing the top on how to find the best view from the summit. The sign at the top is heavily covered and can be misleading that you made it to the summit but are still in the woods. Loved the benches for a break every now and again.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

This trail is well maintained, and is a relatively easy climb. Although it is not a short one. Just a nice stroll through the woods really. A bit long for my 5 year old, so we carried her back down. The views from the rock outcropping is spectacular, although extremely difficult to get to, and dangerous. Unfortunately we had to turn back at that point due to my bad knee, so we were not able to summit. I would say a good trail for children that may be a bit older (only because of length), and also great for dogs.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

We only had a few hours before we had to leave town, and this hike fit the bill. The trail is well-maintained and there was clear signage. Plus the view at the top was great! I definitely recommend it in winter as you have a view most of the way. Enjoy!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Flat Top is a good alternative to its neighbor, Sharp Top. Not near the crowds with a more steady ascent. Smooth start through some beautiful woods gives this a great warm up. Unfortunately this is not a bald peak, like Sharp Top is, so your views will be obstructed by trees most times. Go in the fall or winter, when only some or none of the leaves remain - this should help give you more views.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

I rated the trail moderate for the distance. It transverses the Mtn. So the climb I felt was easy. In comparison to Sharp Top which has a steep incline but much shorter . I would rate Sharp Top moderate.The trail is well marked and as you get to the top there are various trails. Going to the summit the large boulders on the left give you the best all around view. Would love to go there on a clear day. Trail starts off the Blue Ridge Parkway with parking at the trail head.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Excellent hike. Pretty hard though. Either I found the top or only an outcropping, but what I reached was very small. Bring lots of water. It's a longer hike than you'd expect.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Excellent hike but very strenuous. Take it slow. Best for kids too. Very safe imo.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great experience. A lot of diverse life on trail. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I've been up there a few times. Not a whole lot to see on the way up there but once you get there there's an incredible view from three different places. It's best to see it late fall when the leaves have fallen on a clear Day you can see a long way. The last time I went I saw a bear! Not to worry black bears are more afraid of you than you are of them. Definitely wear your hiking boots.

Saturday, July 08, 2017