Overlook Trail

Overlook Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This has a couple of views and is a good "warm-up" to the rest of the park. My young son (not above 7 yrs.) made the 'up and back' walk with no real energy expended.

Unfortunately, we only had time for a quick stop on our drive up to D.C. We took this short trail from the beautiful visitor center to the Everett Cullers Overlook and back. The views of the Shenandoah River, Valley and surrounding mountains are wonderful (though I am sure they are even better in the winter without the leaves). I would have loved to turn this into a large loop and hiked down along the river. Maybe on the next trip.

the overlook trail is a nice trail good for those who are not ready for moderate and hard trails. good running trail but there is loose gravel and dirt in some areas.
I took my 7 year old out on this yesterday and completed only a portion from visitor center to camp ground trail to total 3 miles. We did not have any other users so made teaching fun. He loves this trail because he can run and it is not too strenuous. the bench makes a nice lunch or snack break spot with very nice views of the river.
I recommend this trail highly especially for kids and anyone looking for a nice time in the woods without crowds.

Nice place but felt more "manufactured" and less organic. Hiking trials to close to the roads, buildings, and picnic areas. Nice views though and my dog got to swim in the river. Probably be a great place to drop a kayak into the river and spend an afternoon on the water but hiking was just average at best.

This trail is part of several loops all of which are well-maintained and with a good mix of flat, hills and a beautiful walk along the Shenandoah River. When my boys and I were there (2/20/17) there were virtually no other hikers so we had the place to ourselves.

The Overlook Trail is actually shorter than shown in the description above - it's about .6 miles and goes from the very nicely done Visitor Center to the Overlook Parking Lot. It hooks up to the Campground trail which is a moderate descent on good paths to the campground area (which is great for trailers, RVs and people wanting to stay in a few quaint cabins).

From the campground, work your way down to the river (there's a road and a couple of short trails) and use the stairs to get you right to the riverbank. We didn't know there were stairs there and went down a relatively steep short path that has been used by a lot of people. The stairs are about 100 feet from there - they're useful. :)

Heading back to the Visitor Center we took the Bluebell trail which is flat as a board and follows the river. It's a very easy walk and the river looks just beautiful. The entire path is shaded.

We ended up taking the Hemlock Valley trail back up to the visitor center where our car was parked and it was a fairly steep incline but not particularly difficult.

If you're not particularly in shape or have ambulatory issues but still want to walk in this beautiful scenery, park in the lower lot (past the Visitor Center) and take the Bluebell trail to the campground. It'll be a nice flat walk of about 1.2 miles in one direction.

I have to say that the Visitor Center here was surprisingly nice. There's an excellent display of animals found in the area and some interactive displays where you can pick up binoculars and look out over the Shenandoah River valley. The Rangers that were there were very friendly, knowledgeable and seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

I'd definitely recommend this set of trails for a short day-hike.

Monday, October 10, 2016