Overall Run Trail

Overall Run Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

2037 feet

Challenging trail with rewarding views and waterfall. Dense brush near the top on the southern side and very narrow path in some places. Advise long pants if you plan to hike the entire loop. Watch for bears. I startled one near the top ridge at approximately the halfway point and was within 100 feet. Hiked 6/18/17.

Steep climbs (up and down), great views and nicely shaded. But felt longer and (pedometers said it was longer) than 7.3 miles.

Amazing hike, but with a few important notes...

We went counter-clockwise and it wasn't a very fun hike for the first 5 miles. It wasn't hard, just honestly pretty boring with nothing to look at or terrain changes.

The waterfalls are spectacular! We climbed up and down the side trails and along the water, enjoying the dramatic views.

I'm a fan of long hikes and am always trying to push for more miles, however I would honestly recommend not doing the full loop. Take the trail straight to the top of the falls, hike around there for a while and work your way back out. The ridge portion of the loop feels like a drag and just doesn't seem worth it here.

(Rating: Loop trail 3 stars, Falls portion 5 stars)

Great hike, but be aware that this loop is definitely more than 7.3 miles! Eyeballing the much more useful map here (https://www.nps.gov/shen/upload/Overall-Run.pdf), I'd say it's more like 10-12 miles. Also, it's not called Overall Run the whole way, so make sure to check that map above and know which trails to follow. Basically you take Thompson Hollow, left at Overall Run, after the waterfalls keep climbing and then right onto Matthew's Arm which feeds onto Beecher Ridge trail, then right onto the Beecher/Overall connector trail before meeting up with Overall again and picking up Thompson Hollow to return to the parking area. It sounds complicated but it's really not as long as you have the NPS map handy.

great trail. very steep steps and intense hike at times but safe trail. I went out and back on the waterfall side which has places to sit and watch the waterfalls.

Pretty nice trail, not very many people on it.

Absolutely beautiful! After I parked, I started my walk to the trail. I saw quite a few "no trespassing" signs on either side of the road, which made me nervous, but I continued on straight and I found the trail. The trail is public, and marked with blue lines on the trees so you know you're still on the right track.
There was 1 other person on the trail by the "pools". After chatting with her, I found out she lives there. She was impressed I found it, but the directions were spot on!