Overall Run Trail

Overall Run Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Just finished hike. The swimming hole is nice. It is about 200 yards to the right when you get to loop. The view of the large water was amazing about 3 miles straight up to left. The rest of the hike is really just in the forest with the bugs. Did see rattle snake which I posted picture of and two snakes on the water fall above the swimming hole. Have to say very disappointed in the hike and think there are way better hikes at Shenandoah then this. I recommend swimming hole then drive to top and see water fall from Matthew's Trail as other poster said. Last this is not moderate, it is hard.

Absolutely gorgeous hike! Definitely need waterproof shoes if you're not one to like getting your socks wet. I hiked in chacos and loved it!

I wouldn't rate this trail as moderate though. It's definitely a toughie. For inexperienced/out of shape hikers, I would recommend going straight to the waterfall. I throughly enjoy backpacking and do it often so am in shape enough for the full loop, but I was with my dad this time around and was not an easy trail for him.

View is totally gorgeous and lots of fun swimming trails too! We brought our dog and she had a blast!

A quick and easy one night trip for two best friends and two dogs. Very close to the trail’s head we ran into two other hikers who claimed to have gotten lost from the campgrounds and weren’t prepared to be out as long as they were. One of them was sitting slumped against a tree, sweating and looking pale. The crushed beer can and cigarette butt next to him made us wonder if that was the real reason he got sick. But we shared some of our snacks and water with them before hiking on. It was a little discouraging to see how nonchalantly people can mistreat nature, but they were the exception to the rule and everyone else we encountered on the trail was friendly and respectful!

The hike was absolutely beautiful, although the very best moment came within about the last mile when we saw a black bear and her four cubs playing on a log! I definitely recommend this one to anyone who wants a little bit of everything.

Make sure to follow the directions to the location from the app; do not use the name to search directions on google maps. You will not end up at the correct location.

Once you use the correct directions, you will end up at a great and challenging site. Waterfalls, rattlesnakes, butterflies, rabbits and a great terrain to give you a challenging hike.

Once you park, you will walk up to a mile marker that allows you to go left or right. Make sure to go left for an easier hike and right for an intense uphill workout. Have fun, check yourself and pets for ticks before you get in your car!

Pretty good ! Hiked with my 15 and 16 year old daughters . Had a flash flood warning yesterday and it rained the entire hike today so needless to say most of the “creek” crossings were just about swimmers . Waterfalls were SUPER COOL with all the runoff and pressure from a few days of rain. Unless you’ve done it before use the app as it gets a little wonky when the Belcher (yellow blazes) runs in with the Blue’s but nothing crazy ! Overall we had a blast even though I don’t think I’ve ever been wetter haha !

Not bad

Great hike for a hot day because nearly 100% shaded. The elevation map was accurate with the highest elevation and hard work over about halfway through the hike and the downhill getting the knees. Saw a bear a ways off the trail. Then at the end rewarded ourselves with a dip in the swimming hole. Wonderfully refreshing. Light traffic except for the swimming hold area which was very popular. Two lovely waterfalls and a beautiful valley view. Moderate is correct but the mileage made it into hard if you aren’t used to longer hikes.

awsome hike took the right instead of the left gradual incline vs step incline waterfall and scenic pictures were worth it

Very difficult but very rewarding. It’s worth the hike

Took this trail when I was backpacking and it was pretty good. The waterfall was nice but nothing really special. Average Shenandoah views.

Awesome hike. Amazing views, full waterfalls and rivers after a week of heavy rains. Definitely recommend.

Beautiful! Bring a snack though!

Long hike but it was totally worth it. The waterfall was breath taking. We found some small waterfalls in the beginning and there was a slide in the waterfall that you could slide down into a pool of water (I posted a picture of it). My wife and I were not completely prepared for the hike but we still pushed through and made it through in about 5hrs.

So I love gorgeous views when I hike. The only good view on this hike is the two waterfalls. Don't get me wrong they're breathtaking, but no views where you can see for miles and miles.

Good hike, went clockwise, meaning the best views were in the first third of the hike. You can add a couple miles by going a little farther up to Skyline Drive. The "waterfall" was a bit disappointing but the overall hike was great. I saw a mama bear and two cubs along the trail which made the hike extra interesting. Only one really good view along the hike but was worth the hike. The climb is very smooth and not too taxing.

Good trail, but the actual length is closer to 10 miles. We hiked counter clockwise, which put the biggest waterfall near the end of the hike. The trail is easy to follow, but the markings are confusing.

nice views but gps threw me off and only got to AT post and turned around.. I would have kept going now that I know it was the right way..

This is a really nice hike because it is not too difficult and has a little bit of everything - several river crossings and water fall areas as well as a few great views. Most of the trail is thin and goes through a tunnel of woods. Its very rocky and very slippery when the leaves are down. We went counter-clockwise. Many trails connect with this one and the blazes switch from blue to yellow and then back to blue. It’s a little confusing, but with the app it’s fine. I look forward to checking it out in the spring.

Great hike, but I visited in late fall when the leaves were off the trees and the water levels were low. The falls were impressive but definitely need to see them at high water level or when it's frozen this winter.

The hike clocked in at 9 miles according to my friends gps watch. We took the counterclockwise route which was a gradual to somewhat strenuously uphill hike for the first third, maybe the second third spent on the ridge line walking somewhat level, then a steep decline over the last 1/3 of the route.

Beautiful hike. We did the loop CCW from Thompson Hollow Rd. Densely wooded, scenic streams, historic stone walls, and amazing waterfalls. Climbs for most of first half. Very rocky near waterfalls. Well marked and maintained.

Have done this hike multiple times now but on our most recent outing we took a different route. We entered from Shenandoah National Park(route above) which decreased the distance to around a six mile hike instead of 11. The first three miles are straight down to falls and overlook. It hadn't rained in awhile and the river was bone dry with the waterfall. The view was still great but we came for the waterfall. It made for a very long 3 mile hike back up and out.

We did this on a Sunday. Not too many other people out. We did start clockwise and that did make the hike more challenging. Our Fitbit watches clocked this at about 9 miles round trip from the truck and about 200 flights of stairs. We did see a couple of bears in the large brush. Pretty views and a good workout.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Down then up! Decent hike that allows you to run early on the downhill and then a steady climb coming back. I got stuck in a rain shower but the canopy of the trees keeps you almost completely dry. The streams were dry and the falls were just a trickle that wet the walls so not very scenic for august hike. I figured it would be dry. Some of the climbs are long and steep so be prepared to grind it out.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

We had planned on hiking up to the falls. The Alltrails map showed it as a 2.5 miles up to the falls. Turns out its more like 3 miles. We did the hike at the end of July. The creek beds were dry even though it had rained the day before.

We got to the parking area at 8am, and were the 3rd car there. When we finished 3 hours later, the parking area was full with cars parked along the road for a few hundred feet.

If there had been water in the creeks it would have been better. Without the water, it was a hike through the woods on a trail that is covered with rocks. You need good footwear to avoid turning an ankle and/or bruising the bottom of your feet.

The last mile up to the waterfall is pretty steep. I calculated it around 18%. So its a doozy.

Friday, July 07, 2017

very difficult but amazing views and lots of fun!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Challenging trail with rewarding views and waterfall. Dense brush near the top on the southern side and very narrow path in some places. Advise long pants if you plan to hike the entire loop. Watch for bears. I startled one near the top ridge at approximately the halfway point and was within 100 feet. Hiked 6/18/17.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Steep climbs (up and down), great views and nicely shaded. But felt longer and (pedometers said it was longer) than 7.3 miles.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Pretty trail through the forest along a wonderful stream. The views of the falls at the end are from afar but still pretty!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Amazing hike, but with a few important notes...

We went counter-clockwise and it wasn't a very fun hike for the first 5 miles. It wasn't hard, just honestly pretty boring with nothing to look at or terrain changes.

The waterfalls are spectacular! We climbed up and down the side trails and along the water, enjoying the dramatic views.

I'm a fan of long hikes and am always trying to push for more miles, however I would honestly recommend not doing the full loop. Take the trail straight to the top of the falls, hike around there for a while and work your way back out. The ridge portion of the loop feels like a drag and just doesn't seem worth it here.

(Rating: Loop trail 3 stars, Falls portion 5 stars)

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great hike, but be aware that this loop is definitely more than 7.3 miles! Eyeballing the much more useful map here (https://www.nps.gov/shen/upload/Overall-Run.pdf), I'd say it's more like 10-12 miles. Also, it's not called Overall Run the whole way, so make sure to check that map above and know which trails to follow. Basically you take Thompson Hollow, left at Overall Run, after the waterfalls keep climbing and then right onto Matthew's Arm which feeds onto Beecher Ridge trail, then right onto the Beecher/Overall connector trail before meeting up with Overall again and picking up Thompson Hollow to return to the parking area. It sounds complicated but it's really not as long as you have the NPS map handy.