Overall Run Trail

Overall Run Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, but I visited in late fall when the leaves were off the trees and the water levels were low. The falls were impressive but definitely need to see them at high water level or when it's frozen this winter.

The hike clocked in at 9 miles according to my friends gps watch. We took the counterclockwise route which was a gradual to somewhat strenuously uphill hike for the first third, maybe the second third spent on the ridge line walking somewhat level, then a steep decline over the last 1/3 of the route.

Beautiful hike. We did the loop CCW from Thompson Hollow Rd. Densely wooded, scenic streams, historic stone walls, and amazing waterfalls. Climbs for most of first half. Very rocky near waterfalls. Well marked and maintained.

Have done this hike multiple times now but on our most recent outing we took a different route. We entered from Shenandoah National Park(route above) which decreased the distance to around a six mile hike instead of 11. The first three miles are straight down to falls and overlook. It hadn't rained in awhile and the river was bone dry with the waterfall. The view was still great but we came for the waterfall. It made for a very long 3 mile hike back up and out.

We did this on a Sunday. Not too many other people out. We did start clockwise and that did make the hike more challenging. Our Fitbit watches clocked this at about 9 miles round trip from the truck and about 200 flights of stairs. We did see a couple of bears in the large brush. Pretty views and a good workout.

Down then up! Decent hike that allows you to run early on the downhill and then a steady climb coming back. I got stuck in a rain shower but the canopy of the trees keeps you almost completely dry. The streams were dry and the falls were just a trickle that wet the walls so not very scenic for august hike. I figured it would be dry. Some of the climbs are long and steep so be prepared to grind it out.

We had planned on hiking up to the falls. The Alltrails map showed it as a 2.5 miles up to the falls. Turns out its more like 3 miles. We did the hike at the end of July. The creek beds were dry even though it had rained the day before.

We got to the parking area at 8am, and were the 3rd car there. When we finished 3 hours later, the parking area was full with cars parked along the road for a few hundred feet.

If there had been water in the creeks it would have been better. Without the water, it was a hike through the woods on a trail that is covered with rocks. You need good footwear to avoid turning an ankle and/or bruising the bottom of your feet.

The last mile up to the waterfall is pretty steep. I calculated it around 18%. So its a doozy.

very difficult but amazing views and lots of fun!

Challenging trail with rewarding views and waterfall. Dense brush near the top on the southern side and very narrow path in some places. Advise long pants if you plan to hike the entire loop. Watch for bears. I startled one near the top ridge at approximately the halfway point and was within 100 feet. Hiked 6/18/17.

Steep climbs (up and down), great views and nicely shaded. But felt longer and (pedometers said it was longer) than 7.3 miles.

Pretty trail through the forest along a wonderful stream. The views of the falls at the end are from afar but still pretty!

Amazing hike, but with a few important notes...

We went counter-clockwise and it wasn't a very fun hike for the first 5 miles. It wasn't hard, just honestly pretty boring with nothing to look at or terrain changes.

The waterfalls are spectacular! We climbed up and down the side trails and along the water, enjoying the dramatic views.

I'm a fan of long hikes and am always trying to push for more miles, however I would honestly recommend not doing the full loop. Take the trail straight to the top of the falls, hike around there for a while and work your way back out. The ridge portion of the loop feels like a drag and just doesn't seem worth it here.

(Rating: Loop trail 3 stars, Falls portion 5 stars)

Great hike, but be aware that this loop is definitely more than 7.3 miles! Eyeballing the much more useful map here (https://www.nps.gov/shen/upload/Overall-Run.pdf), I'd say it's more like 10-12 miles. Also, it's not called Overall Run the whole way, so make sure to check that map above and know which trails to follow. Basically you take Thompson Hollow, left at Overall Run, after the waterfalls keep climbing and then right onto Matthew's Arm which feeds onto Beecher Ridge trail, then right onto the Beecher/Overall connector trail before meeting up with Overall again and picking up Thompson Hollow to return to the parking area. It sounds complicated but it's really not as long as you have the NPS map handy.

great trail. very steep steps and intense hike at times but safe trail. I went out and back on the waterfall side which has places to sit and watch the waterfalls.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Pretty nice trail, not very many people on it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Absolutely beautiful! After I parked, I started my walk to the trail. I saw quite a few "no trespassing" signs on either side of the road, which made me nervous, but I continued on straight and I found the trail. The trail is public, and marked with blue lines on the trees so you know you're still on the right track.
There was 1 other person on the trail by the "pools". After chatting with her, I found out she lives there. She was impressed I found it, but the directions were spot on!

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Really rocky hike with lots of uphill climbing. About a mile in, we ran into overall run pools which is an awesome place to go swimming. On the rest of the hike, we ran into three more waterfalls, one of them being the tallest one in the Shenandoah National Forest. We even saw a bear! Take plenty of water and a snack.

Monday, June 20, 2016

really rocky hike, but waterfall and view is worth it

Monday, June 06, 2016

Mostly uphill and a lot of Rocks. I would do it again but where we started was really wet and muddy. I think you definitely need a good pair of hiking boots.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Long hike with lots of uphill climbing. The view though, makes it all worth it! Amazing!!!

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Hiked this with the family 2 years ago. The Overall Run pools (Seven Pools) is amazing, cool, and refreshing. Take a dip in the pools or a leap into the the big pool (about 9 feet deep but pull your legs up.) This hike and swim was worth it. Be mindful of the Timber Rattlesnake that may be in and around the trail.