Overall Run Loop

Overall Run Loop is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,011 feet Route Type: Loop

great hike. clockwise is a burner at the beginning but makes the rest of the hike a breeze. also makes the end a great time to jump in a few swimming holes.

Plenty of streams, cascades, swimming holes, and a couple waterfalls on the Overall Run trail, but Beecher Ridge trail is mostly a trail in the forest. See hike report at: https://travel2walk.com/2019/07/10/virginia-hikes-overall-run-beecher-ridge-loop-july-5-2019/

Really enjoyed doing this loop. I went clockwise for a shorter & steeper incline and was not disappointed. You reach the summit quicker this way, which leaves 2/3 part of the hike going downhill. Also, plenty of nice camping spots with a few of them near the top.

Great hike, steep all the way down to a beautiful overlook. I unfortunately got sick at the bottom and decided not tonstay the night and turned arpund and went back up. Tough hike if youre not in shape or feeling ill. My 8year old dog did it no problem. Definately more difficult than shenandoah’s online trail recommendations made it seem.

MASSIVE TICK ACTIVITY. We had plans of backpacking overnight here on 5/17 but turned around after an hour due to the amount of ticks we found on ourselves and our dog. Beautiful hike, and the falls are wonderful, but will not be returning this season if the ticks stay this bad. Currently up to 40 ticks picked off... and counting :(

Really great trail, definitely go clockwise, I ended up extending it up to the AT for more of a vista and increasing the elevation change. Definitely muddy after all the recent rain. There are about 5 stream crossings just FYI and definitely look out for ticks, had on my sock when I was finished.

Challenging hike with epic reward at the view and waterfall. The stream crossings made the hike a lot slower but the obstacles were fun(a hiking stick or poles would help a lot on crossings). I wouldn’t recommend doing this near dark, safer during daylight

Definitely recommend this hike for great views, a heart-pumping ascent (agree that clockwise is the way to go) and fewer crowds than the marquee waterfall hikes in Shenandoah. Saw a curious smaller black bear on the Beecher Ridge section. Be prepared for mud and deep stream crossings if there have been recent heavy rains.

Hiked it clockwise and recommend that course. If you are looking for some camping spots there are some awesome ones after the initial switchbacks that look out west toward the valley.

One of the more strenuous hikes I’ve been on. The 2300 feet of switchbacks well worth the view of the 93 foot waterfall.

private property

Great trail for the novice climber looking to up their game. The trail was very easy outside of the vertical climb going clockwise starting a mile before where the waterfalls are located. Outside of that, nice and easy goes the loop. The waterfall payoffs are sweet so it’s worth the hike if just after rain or snow is melting.

Went to the right for the harder uphill climb. The waterfalls were a great treat for the end of our hike and the views are wonderful. Took about 3.5 hours total. Wasn’t as muddy as I would have though given all the snow and rain, so it was a great hike.

Still very muddy, and saw a black bear near the entrance!

Did this hike December 30. Lots of recent rain and much of the lower elevation portion was super muddy. No big deal but of note. Few small stream crossings. Even with recent rain they were easily passable with careful footing. This was a delightful hike! Quiet on the Saturday that we went. Views were terrific- especially on the eastern portion. Waterfall is awesome. Great spots for lunch with a view of the falls. Trail is well marked. Blue blazes to yellow blazes to blue.

Did this trail a few days after snowfall in SNP. Skyline Drive was closed so needed a good access point into the park. This was it. Snow. Lots of it. I should’ve brought my spikes, but didn’t think nearly the entire trail would be snow. I’d say 95% of the trail was snow. The rest was mud. I did this route counterclockwise. I’m a fairly in-shape hiker and am glad I did it that way. Grabbed more gradual elevation gain in the forest (felt like the forest went on forever) and was rewarded by a decent vista and view of the falls. Not sure I’d do this one again. Might be better in the spring/summer.

Good day hike. We went to the right/CCW. After a short down hill there’s a steady ~3 mike uphill climb. Back 1/3 had a steep decline but it was on the short side. Awesome view of Shenandoah at the larger waterfall. Pretty muddy given all the recent rain. Tree cover along entire trail. About 5-6 stream closing that were easy but fun.

Hiked this with a buddy and his dog. It was a nice drive out there. You hike about a mile out to the loop. We went left or clockwise and it was pretty muddy from rain the previous day. The first 2 miles of crossing creeks was a warm up for the real creek crossings and then the haul up a biggg hill. There were some campers at the first view of the waterfall. Looked beautiful and would camp there. The next mile and half were diff camping/view points with breath taking views. The last 5-6 miles was calming and very cool to walk thru. Made a rock tower in the little creek/dam/island area a mile from the start was awesome to chill in after a long hike.

Chose this trip to check the box on the tallest waterfall in SNP. Chose to go CW and knock out the elevation gain quickly. Mile 1 and 2 were nice gradual inclines through rocky dry stream beds. It was hard to make good time through this area. Mile three was quite the accent almost 1000 ft. The view of the falls is from the top. Not a lot to see with all the foliage still on. Unfortunately not trails access the bottom of these falls. If you are looking to just see the falls I would recommend an out and back. Another option is an out and back from the Mathews Arm area. Given that I always opt for loops and mileage I continued around and down the Beechers Ridge Trail. Not much to see here just steady declines and forest. There are tons of good places for backcountry camping along this route. I finished the trip with a visit to a few nice pools were the access trail meets the loop. Based on the number of bathing suit clad folks I passed on the way out I believe it is a popular swimming destination.

Just finished hike. The swimming hole is nice. It is about 200 yards to the right when you get to loop. The view of the large water was amazing about 3 miles straight up to left. The rest of the hike is really just in the forest with the bugs. Did see rattle snake which I posted picture of and two snakes on the water fall above the swimming hole. Have to say very disappointed in the hike and think there are way better hikes at Shenandoah then this. I recommend swimming hole then drive to top and see water fall from Matthew's Trail as other poster said. Last this is not moderate, it is hard.

Absolutely gorgeous hike! Definitely need waterproof shoes if you're not one to like getting your socks wet. I hiked in chacos and loved it! I wouldn't rate this trail as moderate though. It's definitely a toughie. For inexperienced/out of shape hikers, I would recommend going straight to the waterfall. I throughly enjoy backpacking and do it often so am in shape enough for the full loop, but I was with my dad this time around and was not an easy trail for him. View is totally gorgeous and lots of fun swimming trails too! We brought our dog and she had a blast!

A quick and easy one night trip for two best friends and two dogs. Very close to the trail’s head we ran into two other hikers who claimed to have gotten lost from the campgrounds and weren’t prepared to be out as long as they were. One of them was sitting slumped against a tree, sweating and looking pale. The crushed beer can and cigarette butt next to him made us wonder if that was the real reason he got sick. But we shared some of our snacks and water with them before hiking on. It was a little discouraging to see how nonchalantly people can mistreat nature, but they were the exception to the rule and everyone else we encountered on the trail was friendly and respectful! The hike was absolutely beautiful, although the very best moment came within about the last mile when we saw a black bear and her four cubs playing on a log! I definitely recommend this one to anyone who wants a little bit of everything.

Make sure to follow the directions to the location from the app; do not use the name to search directions on google maps. You will not end up at the correct location. Once you use the correct directions, you will end up at a great and challenging site. Waterfalls, rattlesnakes, butterflies, rabbits and a great terrain to give you a challenging hike. Once you park, you will walk up to a mile marker that allows you to go left or right. Make sure to go left for an easier hike and right for an intense uphill workout. Have fun, check yourself and pets for ticks before you get in your car!

Pretty good ! Hiked with my 15 and 16 year old daughters . Had a flash flood warning yesterday and it rained the entire hike today so needless to say most of the “creek” crossings were just about swimmers . Waterfalls were SUPER COOL with all the runoff and pressure from a few days of rain. Unless you’ve done it before use the app as it gets a little wonky when the Belcher (yellow blazes) runs in with the Blue’s but nothing crazy ! Overall we had a blast even though I don’t think I’ve ever been wetter haha !

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Not bad

Sunday, July 01, 2018

Great hike for a hot day because nearly 100% shaded. The elevation map was accurate with the highest elevation and hard work over about halfway through the hike and the downhill getting the knees. Saw a bear a ways off the trail. Then at the end rewarded ourselves with a dip in the swimming hole. Wonderfully refreshing. Light traffic except for the swimming hold area which was very popular. Two lovely waterfalls and a beautiful valley view. Moderate is correct but the mileage made it into hard if you aren’t used to longer hikes.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

awsome hike took the right instead of the left gradual incline vs step incline waterfall and scenic pictures were worth it

Friday, June 15, 2018

Very difficult but very rewarding. It’s worth the hike

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Took this trail when I was backpacking and it was pretty good. The waterfall was nice but nothing really special. Average Shenandoah views.