Learn more

Overall Run Loop is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bentonville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.7 mi Elevation gain 2,011 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Forest Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Rocky
Description
Waypoints (10)

Please note: do not park in unmarked areas at this trail. Hikers have reported witnessing many cars being ticked and towed away for very high fees.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (270)
Photos (666)
Recordings (214)
Completed (558)
Cara Achterberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020
HikingRocky

We took the loop clockwise leaving from the Thompson Hollow Trailhead. Pretty Ricky and a lot of up until you reach the top but coming down on the other side the trail is pretty open and easy and you can make great time, plus you finish at the pools in case you want to take a quick dip to cool off! Great trail- we’ve seen bears on earlier hikes.

Erin Towner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 12, 2020
HikingBugs

I did this hike this past Sunday in mid-90s heat as a loop. I started from the Mathews Arm Campground, continued past the falls on the Tuscarora-Overall Run Trail, and came back via the Beecher Ridge Trail and Mathews Arm Road. I started around noon and ended by 5. There are lots of cute little swimming spots along the trail. I think the falls may be more impressive in spring or winter. Right now they are a trickle. I believe the loop that I did is much longer than the 8 miles listed here, but I'm having a hard time determining how far exactly my route was. If you have insight on that, please share!

Bretton Keating
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! Did it clockwise with my dog...steep climbing with amazing views and then went to the swimming hole on the way back. Got a late start (2:30pm) and we finished well before dark in August. I recommend wearing long pants because of poison ivy.

View Bretton's Recording
Kevin Fernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

went clockwise. very steep start but nice to have the swimming hole at the end

View Kevin's Recording
Rose noland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Lot of poison ivy and trail narrows. hiker beware!

View Rose's Recording
Virgie Mae
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Great day! Thank you for not towing my car. That water hole was EVERYTHING after that 8 mile hike

Jojo Gomez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

trail is nice but be very careful where you park now. we saw police and tow trucks all over the place when we got there. we got the chance to talk to a nice officer. we were told that property owner complained and they had to come over to tow all the cars. it was just crazy. from the reviews below this seems to start from last weekend. if you cannot park in marked spots, go somewhere else.

Mohammad Salim Yousufzai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

It was an incredible hike we really enjoyed it, although it was the first hike for some of my friends, we successfully completed the loop. The only thing that really bothered us was returning to the parking lot. Two Sheriffs were partnering the towing company, they were towing any parked cars on the side of the road. They towed one of our vehicle and tried to charge us for taxi, luckily one of our vehicle was still there so they were not able to change us there, but the towing company charged us $265, stating that $150 will go to the sheriffs. I am not sure if the state is paying their salaries or it has became kinda side job for them on the weekends, they have towed over 22 vehicles 22 X 265 = 5,830. So half day they made $5,830 plus taxi. I kindly request anyone who can to report this to the county.

Julie Detomo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingRocky

I agree with everything written about this loop including the fact that if you do it counter clockwise, it’s a more moderate level hike. I have nothing to add about the hike so here’s the reason I felt compelled to post a review.... When we left the trail to get into our car around 2:45, there was absolute mayhem in the parking area. There was what I can only describe as a tow truck / sheriff sting operation afoot as they were towing every possible car parked on the grassy side areas. They had flatbeds, traditional tow trucks and auto carriers holding several cars at once! It was a crazy scene. I thank my lucky stars that we arrived early and easily found a spot in the outlined areas. But the grassy sides of the road were not totally marked with “no parking” signs and certainly no stern warnings of towing. I would have thought it was ok to park on the side if we found it crowded. So, the whole scene shocked me and my husband. I understand that there is a lot of private property right at the base there. But be warned: don’t park in unmarked areas at this trail. They are not playing in Bentonville!!

Cody Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Parking area was pretty crowded, but it seemed most people just went to the swimming holes. We completed the loop clockwise, which was a steep ascent and gradual descent. Nice view at the Overlook of the valley and the large waterfall. There's a good climb that you can take down to the bottom of the falls. Also, we saw a mama black bear and her 2 cubs a little ways before the 2nd to last intersection, and a small snake closer to the swimming holes.

Mitch Litwiller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
HikingMuddy

The water was great. Would recommend water shoes or sandals with straps on them for the trail leading to the water (very muddy).

Alan Hansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
HikingBlowdownFloodedMuddy

Limited views, great waterfalls and cascades. Saw a large male black bear and a copperhead snake.

View Alan's Recording
CK Berrymann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
HikingRocky

We did the trail in the clockwise direction. The first 1/3 is along streams and then you have good views of the mountains and waterfall when you reach the top. The next 1/3 is pretty flat and through woods. Not much traffic there as the trail is pretty narrow and brush all along the sides. The last 1/3 gets back close to water. There were a total of 5 creek crossings which were interesting since it’d recently rained.

Jessaca Campbell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 26, 2020

Steep 3 mile incline, so worth the view! Gorgeous! Great Hike!!

DRucH .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2020
Hiking

this trail is NOT hard, it is more intermediate. the hardest part was some very small parts of scramble that were not challenging because of their short length. imho it also fairly boring. there is really only one view that is amazing. it does have a waterfall along with rolling hills into the distance down from the waterfall that are pretty epic however. I went counterclockwise and the first 66% is hardly interesting so...

View DRucH's Recording
Brittany Aaron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 29, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Good views from the ridge. Only ones there at 7am but ran into people on our way back to the trailhead around 11am. Lots of teenagers clearly not practicing social distancing, no parking left by 11:30am. If taking the trail counterclockwise, take the yellow blazes to the left at the split. This was unclear during our hike and we had no cellular service to that point. The split was not noted on my downloaded AllTrails map. I’d rate this as moderate.

Stephanie F
Hiking

Hiked clockwise, falls flowing well after several days of rain. Crowds at the falls but otherwise very little company on the trail. Quite rocky, had to go off trail on Beecher Ridge to avoid fallen trees a few times.

View Stephanie's Recording
Victoria Bloom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Victoria's Recording
Kat Martin
HikingBugsMuddy

We went clockwise and chose to do a shorter, but steeper, climb. Definitely feel we made the right decision because the other route would have been a slow steady uphill grind. Beautiful waterfall. Beautiful vista view.

View Kat's Recording
Mai Her
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 19, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

First 1/3 of trail was incline. It got easier once you get past it.

View Mai's Recording
Peter Bonnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 14, 2020
Hiking

Nice trail. Not that hard. Two vistas and some water.

View Peter's Recording
Sarah Bergmann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 26, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

I enjoyed this trail a lot. I would rate it moderate to difficult in the beginning but easy after you reach the top. Difficulty rating is also due to how rocky the trail is. The scenery is beautiful though. It rained last night so the trail was very very muddy today. Two stream crossings were also nonexistent because of the high water so you have to bushwhack it in some places (kinda fun!). I will definitely hike this again in the spring or summer when the trees are green.

View Sarah's Recording
Wayne Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 21, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugsMuddy

Not a bad trail for a work day

View Wayne's Recording