Otter Creek Loop

Otter Creek Loop is a 1 mile loop trail located near Monroe, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'd rate it closer to easy.

Great easy trail to hike with children. We were looking for a simple trail with hopes of some wildlife for our 4 year old. We loved crossing the creek and the little streams along the trail. Took us about 45 min with a child. Tons of butterflies spotted. If you are traveling the parkway this makes a great stop.

Otter Creek Trail is 3.5 miles long. It follows the Parkway and creek from the Otter Creek Campground to the James River Visitor Center. I completed the scenic 0.9 mile Otter Lake Loop section. I also completed two trails at the visitor center. The 0.4 mile Trail of Trees has signs that identify many of the trees and shrubs of the river valley. It also has a wonderful view of the James River water gap. The 0.4 mile Canal Lock Trail crosses the James River on a walkway beneath the bridge. It is then a short distance to the restored Battery Creek Lock, one of nearly 100 locks that made this canal a major transportation corridor before the Civil War.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Monday, September 19, 2016

53 year old, pack a day smoker. Very hard but doable if you go slow and rest. View at the top totally worth it.

Monday, July 07, 2014

I have long loved this series of trails for its variety of visual beauty and ease of access.

Sunday, July 06, 2014