Orkney Springs Trail

Orkney Springs Trail is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near Orkney Springs, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy to find trail head near Bryce Resort and plenty of parking. First half is wooded and crosses a stream. Second half is steep and loose rock. No real view at the summit (we even continued along the ridge line for a spell), but the gas line clearing provided some nice vista on the way up and down. FYI, the teens made it to the top, but the dog and seniors turned back.

Overall despite the rocky trail after past a half mile in, the view at about 1.75m was quite amazing and worth the challenge to get there. There was no real sign saying when the turnaround was so I kept up Trail and then I noticed the markers changing from purple to red orange. I wasn’t sure how much my GPS was off so for good measure I stayed on and was super happy to find another great view about 4.8m in. I had no idea where this would end so to be safe I turned around. On way back, I saw others and warned them of the rocky NOT EASY trail especially since 2 were older adults with their children and their teen grandchildren along with a dog already gasping for air. Nice challenge with a great view to reward you and another if you continue on unknown trail connection. For runners out there it’s an ankle roll potentially leading to fall nightmare. I only had a 15:51 moving pace unless that 1.75m view was the end or actually 2.45m since we know GPS accuracy can be questionable on trails etc. To new adventures!
Tim Greenville NC

This trail was great, although I wouldn’t rate it as easy. I took my 10 and 6 year old, and they got through the whole thing, but I would say they are more experienced hikers than their peers. It does get pretty rocky about half way up.

Gorgeous hike with lots of shade and stream crossings...wouldn’t consider it easy maybe more moderate especially toward the end. All in all a nice clear your mind kind of hike

I wouldn’t rate this trail as easy. It gets pretty rocky half way in and you have to step lightly. I wouldn’t recommend taking kids either. The water crossings would be nice for them but that’s about it. I’d hike it again because it was peaceful and clears your head, but it’s not an “easy” trail.

Pros: Well marked with purple blazes. Not crowded. I saw one other person with two dogs. Beautiful views of both VA and WV. Trail has a little bit of everything with 3 stream crossings with small waterfalls. Easy enough to jump rocks over. Although more rain would make it more difficult I expect. Big rocks to climb on towards the top for overlook pictures.

Cons: I would probably rate this trail as moderate due to the length and steepness. It’s a long way up going in and a long way down on the way back. The trail also gets very rocky towards the top so coming back I had to be very careful so I wouldn’t slide on all the loose rocks. Wear appropriate shoes because I expect your toes would be all bunched up at the front of your shoes on the way down. I had on hiking boots so I was okay. Also some of the purple blazes were hard to see towards the top as they were on worn rocks. The trail is very obvious though so it wasn’t a big deal.

All in all this was a great Sunday hike with my dog. We took advantage of the solitude and did a lot of exploring because this was a new trail for us. Will definitely go again.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Trail was great and well marked but was definitely not an easy trail. We brought the dogs and they seemed to enjoy it, but I would classify it as a moderate.

Monday, July 31, 2017

should be moderate and not easy. steep climb in several areas, but gasline view was awesome. also crossed 3 small streams

recorded Orkney