Orkney Springs Trail

Orkney Springs Trail is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near Orkney Springs, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Gorgeous hike with lots of shade and stream crossings...wouldn’t consider it easy maybe more moderate especially toward the end. All in all a nice clear your mind kind of hike

I wouldn’t rate this trail as easy. It gets pretty rocky half way in and you have to step lightly. I wouldn’t recommend taking kids either. The water crossings would be nice for them but that’s about it. I’d hike it again because it was peaceful and clears your head, but it’s not an “easy” trail.

Pros: Well marked with purple blazes. Not crowded. I saw one other person with two dogs. Beautiful views of both VA and WV. Trail has a little bit of everything with 3 stream crossings with small waterfalls. Easy enough to jump rocks over. Although more rain would make it more difficult I expect. Big rocks to climb on towards the top for overlook pictures.

Cons: I would probably rate this trail as moderate due to the length and steepness. It’s a long way up going in and a long way down on the way back. The trail also gets very rocky towards the top so coming back I had to be very careful so I wouldn’t slide on all the loose rocks. Wear appropriate shoes because I expect your toes would be all bunched up at the front of your shoes on the way down. I had on hiking boots so I was okay. Also some of the purple blazes were hard to see towards the top as they were on worn rocks. The trail is very obvious though so it wasn’t a big deal.

All in all this was a great Sunday hike with my dog. We took advantage of the solitude and did a lot of exploring because this was a new trail for us. Will definitely go again.

Trail was great and well marked but was definitely not an easy trail. We brought the dogs and they seemed to enjoy it, but I would classify it as a moderate.

should be moderate and not easy. steep climb in several areas, but gasline view was awesome. also crossed 3 small streams

Thursday, October 08, 2015