Learn more

Orkney Springs Trail is a 4.9 mile out and back trail located near Orkney Springs, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,368 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Good moderate trail. The first mile in has gradual ups and flats. The middle portion was rocky and more steep with one longer uphill section. The best view is at the clearing from the gas pipe clearing. At that point, there is a bit more uphill and then it levels out to the end. Took my husband and me 3 hours total including a 15 minute break at the top.

Beautiful trail, one steep rocky stretch. Don’t stop at the gas line - go 100-150 yards uphill and trail forks off to the right. That’s the best part: a pleasant little frog pond near the top. At the crest, trail intersects with an orange dot dash marked trail unfortunately not shown in All Trails.

Enjoyed this trail on a crisp autumn day, was a pleasant surprise, and should be rated as moderate. Rocky, though well maintained. Enjoyed the views.

Great trail clear and a nice easy hike. We didn’t make it the entire way because of our 2 year old (forgot his hiking pack)

Nice hike to the Virginia-West Virginia border. In total it's about 4 hours start to finish. Begins at about 1,200 feet and at summit is 2,900 feet. Great views of the local valleys.

Sun Jun 16 2019

Everyone has said it already. Well maintained, but steep in parts at the end. your best view is about 2 miles in when you come out on a gas pipeline easement.

Tue Jun 11 2019

As has been stated by others, this trail is by no means easy. The majority of it is quite steep and most of it has lots of rocks. I would not want to try this hike with anything less than hiking boots. We hiked to the very top to where All Trails GPS map showed we were at the end. There is no overlook there at all. But lower down, the clearing made for the gas pipeline gives a good view. This is a beautiful, peaceful, and well-maintained moderate to difficult trail.

Sun Mar 31 2019

This is more of a moderate trail. It starts out easy going across the stream 3 times. About 1 mile in, the trail turns rocky and straight up at about 30-45 degrees for .75 miles. After you reach the gas pipe area, things flatten out a bit all the way to the top.

Mon Jul 16 2018

Easy to find trail head near Bryce Resort and plenty of parking. First half is wooded and crosses a stream. Second half is steep and loose rock. No real view at the summit (we even continued along the ridge line for a spell), but the gas line clearing provided some nice vista on the way up and down. FYI, the teens made it to the top, but the dog and seniors turned back.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Overall despite the rocky trail after past a half mile in, the view at about 1.75m was quite amazing and worth the challenge to get there. There was no real sign saying when the turnaround was so I kept up Trail and then I noticed the markers changing from purple to red orange. I wasn’t sure how much my GPS was off so for good measure I stayed on and was super happy to find another great view about 4.8m in. I had no idea where this would end so to be safe I turned around. On way back, I saw others and warned them of the rocky NOT EASY trail especially since 2 were older adults with their children and their teen grandchildren along with a dog already gasping for air. Nice challenge with a great view to reward you and another if you continue on unknown trail connection. For runners out there it’s an ankle roll potentially leading to fall nightmare. I only had a 15:51 moving pace unless that 1.75m view was the end or actually 2.45m since we know GPS accuracy can be questionable on trails etc. To new adventures! Tim Greenville NC

Sun Jun 24 2018

This trail was great, although I wouldn’t rate it as easy. I took my 10 and 6 year old, and they got through the whole thing, but I would say they are more experienced hikers than their peers. It does get pretty rocky about half way up.

Sun May 27 2018

Gorgeous hike with lots of shade and stream crossings...wouldn’t consider it easy maybe more moderate especially toward the end. All in all a nice clear your mind kind of hike

Fri May 25 2018

I wouldn’t rate this trail as easy. It gets pretty rocky half way in and you have to step lightly. I wouldn’t recommend taking kids either. The water crossings would be nice for them but that’s about it. I’d hike it again because it was peaceful and clears your head, but it’s not an “easy” trail.

Sun Apr 29 2018

Pros: Well marked with purple blazes. Not crowded. I saw one other person with two dogs. Beautiful views of both VA and WV. Trail has a little bit of everything with 3 stream crossings with small waterfalls. Easy enough to jump rocks over. Although more rain would make it more difficult I expect. Big rocks to climb on towards the top for overlook pictures. Cons: I would probably rate this trail as moderate due to the length and steepness. It’s a long way up going in and a long way down on the way back. The trail also gets very rocky towards the top so coming back I had to be very careful so I wouldn’t slide on all the loose rocks. Wear appropriate shoes because I expect your toes would be all bunched up at the front of your shoes on the way down. I had on hiking boots so I was okay. Also some of the purple blazes were hard to see towards the top as they were on worn rocks. The trail is very obvious though so it wasn’t a big deal. All in all this was a great Sunday hike with my dog. We took advantage of the solitude and did a lot of exploring because this was a new trail for us. Will definitely go again.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Trail was great and well marked but was definitely not an easy trail. We brought the dogs and they seemed to enjoy it, but I would classify it as a moderate.

Mon Jul 31 2017

should be moderate and not easy. steep climb in several areas, but gasline view was awesome. also crossed 3 small streams

recorded Recording - Mar 20, 6:56 PM