North River Gorge Trail

North River Gorge Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Solon, Virginia that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

Directions from Bridgewater, VA: Take US 42 for 3 miles south to Mossy Creek. Take SR 747 for 3 miles west to Mt. Solon. Take SR 731 north about 1 mile. Turn left onto SR 730 and follow it for 3 miles to the Stokesville junction. Turn right and take SR 718 for 1 mile to Forest Road 95. The trail can be reached from a gated road leading from the south side of Forest Road 95 about 1 mile west of the Wild Oak Trail parking area. The trail can also be accessed near the North River Campground. Parking is available along Forest Road 95 but is not permitted in the North River Campground, except for those actually camping there

This was a great last minute hiking trip I decided to take with my 10 year old. We only did about four miles as we had a late start, but it was easier than we thought and the constant sound and sight of the river was wonderful. We even found a little "stone island" about 1.7 miles in that we stopped and crossed to for a snack without much trouble. We would love to come back to finish the whole thing. Only issue I had was parking. It would be nice if there was more direction for this as the trail is not clearly labeled as the one we wanted to take. Parking was slightly up the road and we had to walk down to get to the trail and use a failing GPS to find the right start point. This wasted some time we could have spent hiking.

I love playing back through there it feels so far away but yet it's so close by

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Monday, September 07, 2015

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Very easy with many stream crossings. The water was running very low when I went (August) so I crossed without even getting my boots wet. It definitely took the magic out of it and just turned it into a 4 mile walk next to a dry creek.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Very easy trail, as mentioned before there are several river crossings so bring the right gear. There are a few places to camp along the trail if you desire to just get away for a night. I am pretty sure they use the trail with horses so look out for droppings.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday, September 16, 2011

Easy trail, but with several river crossings. Lovely river views