North Ridge Trail

North Ridge Trail is a 4.1 mile loop trail located near Delaplane, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Paris, VA: Sky Meadows State Park is located two miles south of Paris, Virginia or seven miles north of I-66, Exit 23 from Rt. 17. The park entrance is on Rt. 710 (Edmonds Lane). After passing the contact station, continue on the main road to the visitor center. Park at the visitor center and follow the main trailhead into the woods. North Ridge is just beyond Piedmont Overlook.

We enjoyed the pretty woodland views while hiking a portion of the trail in a loop with the Piedmont Overlook and Gap Run Trails. Hopefully we can complete the remainder of the trail one day on a larger loop of the other backcountry trails.

I really enjoyed hiking the North Ridge Trail today. I parked near the Park Office and walked up to Boston Mill Road. I was able to pick up the North Ridge Trail (blue blaze) from there and pretty much hiked uphill the whole way. The trail was muddy from a storm that blew through that morning. The North Ridge intersected with the AT at the top; and I then took the Ambassador Whitehouse trail down. To add an extra mile (plus) to the hike, I descended down the Piedmont Overlook Trail; which I typically start out climbing when I come out to Sky Meadows. Great uphill workout - despite the humidity today. I am always impressed when I come out to this park. The trails are well maintained and well marked. I also checked out a few Civil War actors at the farm before I left. Great history in the area as well.

Rarely believe the "hard" ratings.. The clockwise loop is a good climb that will make you break a sweat. Clean park with friendly staff. Arrive early for a parking spot.

Great Park. Very clean with friendly staff.
Trails are very well marked.
I stayed overnight and loved it. I will definitely do this hike again.
This is a challenging trail but absolutely worth exploring.

This was a great hike but I definitely suggest getting a map at the visitors center. You end up on the Appalachian Trail for a portion and have to take a different trail back if you want to loop. Over all great and I brought my dog without problem.

This park is maintained really well! The trails are marked clearly, which made our hike stress-free. The steepness of the trail will definitely get your heart going. I would definitely recommend this hike.

A nice trail that is easy to get to from anywhere in Northern Va. If you hike counterclockwise and take the huge hill first, it can be a tough slog if you're not warmed up (or have been riding in a car for a while)

The view from the top is really nice and open, making the tough climb more than worth it.

Really fun and technical trail, awesome climbs, a blast to run.

Good hike. The Ambassador was closed so we ended up continuing on the North Ridge, taking in part of the AT, and looping back on the Southern Ridge.