North Ridge Trail

North Ridge Trail is a 4.1 mile loop trail located near Delaplane, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Paris, VA: Sky Meadows State Park is located two miles south of Paris, Virginia or seven miles north of I-66, Exit 23 from Rt. 17. The park entrance is on Rt. 710 (Edmonds Lane). After passing the contact station, continue on the main road to the visitor center. Park at the visitor center and follow the main trailhead into the woods. North Ridge is just beyond Piedmont Overlook.

I did not find this trail particularly hard, especially compared to trails in the white mountains. There are some irksome rock covered portions of the trail near the start and the trip up is pretty unrelenting, but it's not particularly steep. There is no view where the trail meets the AT, however there are lovely views as you descend back toward the park center.

So, when I saw this trail rated as hard, I expected moderate to semi difficult. I got a bit more than I expected!! It was up uphill the first two miles of the north ridge trail. Then a gradual decline once you hit the AT. It feels like a short distance once you start heading back down. The hike was so beautiful. One of the nicest places around with a bunch of different features like a couple overlooks, a couple little brooks (great for a dog to drink from) as well as beautiful meadows. The park itself is super cool with its history and original buildings. Also, they have child friendly trails as well as events that they put on. Great for a solo hiker wanting a little bit of a challenge... also great for the whole family.

We enjoyed the pretty woodland views while hiking a portion of the trail in a loop with the Piedmont Overlook and Gap Run Trails. Hopefully we can complete the remainder of the trail one day on a larger loop of the other backcountry trails.

I really enjoyed hiking the North Ridge Trail today. I parked near the Park Office and walked up to Boston Mill Road. I was able to pick up the North Ridge Trail (blue blaze) from there and pretty much hiked uphill the whole way. The trail was muddy from a storm that blew through that morning. The North Ridge intersected with the AT at the top; and I then took the Ambassador Whitehouse trail down. To add an extra mile (plus) to the hike, I descended down the Piedmont Overlook Trail; which I typically start out climbing when I come out to Sky Meadows. Great uphill workout - despite the humidity today. I am always impressed when I come out to this park. The trails are well maintained and well marked. I also checked out a few Civil War actors at the farm before I left. Great history in the area as well.

Rarely believe the "hard" ratings.. The clockwise loop is a good climb that will make you break a sweat. Clean park with friendly staff. Arrive early for a parking spot.

Great Park. Very clean with friendly staff.
Trails are very well marked.
I stayed overnight and loved it. I will definitely do this hike again.
This is a challenging trail but absolutely worth exploring.

This was a great hike but I definitely suggest getting a map at the visitors center. You end up on the Appalachian Trail for a portion and have to take a different trail back if you want to loop. Over all great and I brought my dog without problem.