Mud Pond Gap Trail

Mud Pond Gap Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dayton, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Trail was fine, I enjoyed it. Saw lots of deer and a buck in velvet jumped out in front of me on the gravel road back to the trail head. Would go again.

So let me first begin with why I chose this trail for a simple overnight backpacking excursion. The lack of reviews made me think that perhaps this is not a heavily used trail. This thought process was pretty accurate.
My second thought was it would be nice to camp near a pond and just relax. Now this is where I was so very wrong! There isn't a pond really. It's more of an oversized dirty puddle. The hike was simple enough. As we decided to hike back out and find another overnight location we were looking for streams nearby but All Trails didn't show any. As we hiked out we were approximately .30 mile from end and came across 2 well running streams! Hmmm a nice surprise but not a place to camp so off we went. Oh and a suggestion on hiking this- park at the first trail sign. Oak something or other and use that entrance. That way you will loop out and end up at Mud Pond trailhead which will take you downhill to your car .06. Otherwise you're walking it straight up hill to return to your vehicle. Easy enough trail and Id like to do it on a mountain bike but other than that I don't plan on returning.

GO LEFT at the top of the hill near the pond. Otherwise, it's an uphill climb to a dead end. It was a nice, quiet trail, but, like other people said, it really does need better markers.

For mountain biking the first Mile or so it's rough and on an incline but downhill was great great speed very clear. hit some air also.

Great trail. Rocky trail up. Turn LEFT at the pond to go down. It is not well marked. The descent is a long wide road with 2 stream crosses.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Nice mountain bike trail! Going up it's kinda, as it says, overgrown and rocky. But the trail widens on the way down and definitely makes this trail fun! 4stars cause toward the top it forks and it's not as straight forward which way to go. Needs better markers.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Great ride down the trail! Makes the trek up worth the effort. Great mountain biking trail.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Super fun Mountain Bike Ride!

Sunday, February 14, 2016