Mountain Top Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Millboro, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length5.1 miElevation gain1,269 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashHikingMountain bikingNature tripsBird watchingForestViewsWildlife
Waypoints (0)
Photos (22)
Recordings (11)
Completed (31)
Jeanne Bauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2019
Hiking

We parked our car and started our hike from the Guest Cabin at the top of the hill. The trail is well- marked and well-maintained.

Wouter de Vries
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2019
Hiking

I reccomend this trail for hiking only, for mountainbiking it can pretty tricky. But i dont have much mountainbike experience. Not much great overlooks cause of the trees. But very nice views between them. Nice shady trail keeps it nice in july. Good markings. With Alltrails and a good full phone easy to hike.

View Wouter's Recording
Katherine Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 17, 2017
Hiking

I picked this trail because other reviews said there are great views at the top. I went in October when the leaves are just starting to change color. At the top, you can’t see much through the trees. So the view from there was nil. There is a spot or two on the way up where you can see the main lake in Douthat State Park. It’s a steady climb and the trail is challenging, but don’t pick it if you’re looking forward to great views.

.Mountain Laurel .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2017

In Douthat Park, I took Ross Trail past the Lake, heading north on the right. That led me to Mountain Top Trail. When it seemed I reach the top because there were rocks and craggy trees and I could see 360° around, I went off the path of it to get a closer look at the rock formations and amazing trees and lost track of the trail a bit... Following the yellow blaze for Mountain Top Trail to head back, and realizing I was actually gaining elevation... I took out my Alltrails app and was very glad that I had connection! I truly don't know how that works when I could not send texts but I am thankful it did. A God send. Because it showed that I was going in the wrong direction and would have spent the night in the woods! So having a fully charged phone is another thing to add to my list of things to bring on a hiking expedition. (I was down to 20%) Thank you AllTraills. I love your topographical map that works with GPS!

Terri Herr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2016
First to Review

Went hiking on a hot July day. Was nicely shaded so we were not dying from the sun yet...Beautiful views, not too difficult. Highly recommend this trail!

Giao Che
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2020
View Giao's Recording
Kelsey Bickley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2020
View Kelsey's Recording
Mary Peterson
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2020
View Mary's Recording
Cassi Greenlee
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Cassi's Recording
Meike G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 5, 2019
View Meike's Recording
Anthony Asterisk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2019
View Anthony's Recording
Isabelle de Vooght
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2019
View Isabelle's Recording
Chris Hutchins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2018
View Chris's Recording
chris beatty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2015
View chris's Recording