Mountain Top Trail Loop

Mountain Top Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Millboro, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I picked this trail because other reviews said there are great views at the top. I went in October when the leaves are just starting to change color. At the top, you can’t see much through the trees. So the view from there was nil. There is a spot or two on the way up where you can see the main lake in Douthat State Park. It’s a steady climb and the trail is challenging, but don’t pick it if you’re looking forward to great views.

In Douthat Park, I took Ross Trail past the Lake, heading north on the right. That led me to Mountain Top Trail. When it seemed I reach the top because there were rocks and craggy trees and I could see 360° around, I went off the path of it to get a closer look at the rock formations and amazing trees and lost track of the trail a bit... Following the yellow blaze for Mountain Top Trail to head back, and realizing I was actually gaining elevation... I took out my Alltrails app and was very glad that I had connection! I truly don't know how that works when I could not send texts but I am thankful it did. A God send. Because it showed that I was going in the wrong direction and would have spent the night in the woods! So having a fully charged phone is another thing to add to my list of things to bring on a hiking expedition. (I was down to 20%)
Thank you AllTraills. I love your topographical map that works with GPS!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Went hiking on a hot July day. Was nicely shaded so we were not dying from the sun yet...Beautiful views, not too difficult. Highly recommend this trail!

Monday, October 10, 2016