Mount Rogers via Appalachian Trail

Mount Rogers via Appalachian Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,768 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hike along the Appalachian Trail leading to the summit of Mount Rogers, Virginia's highest peak (5,729 feet). This hike provides an incredibly scenic overview of the Appalachians' most intriguing ecosystems, including long-range vistas from open "balds" and dark spruce-fir forests nearest the summit. This guide also discusses some of the fascinating natural history of these habitats, which is almost as dramatic as the scenery itself.

Lots of rain, but it cleared at the end. True year of gear and willpower!

Hiked the AT up to Mt Roger's summit(s) and back. Saw the wild ponies both ways. Very friendly and tried to eat my trekking poles since the cork handles retain salt. They also lick your legs. No views at the top due to trees. 2 USGS stamps.

Awesome hike from elk garden trailhead, using AT to summit. Pretty rocky. My 9th Highpoint.

Beautiful day for a late winter/early spring hike to one of my favorite places. There was a little ice left on the spur trail but nothing to be concerned about. Next time we'll come from Grindstone just to do the hikes from a different direction and length.

Sun Nov 18 2018

Hiked today (Nov 18, 2018). Was planning to hike from Massie Gap, but was redirected here by a helpful park employee due to ice on the roads in Grayson Highlands. From what I understand, the other route through the state park is more scenic. This was still really nice - probably a bit easier, too. There are a couple of nice open areas for views. Otherwise, the trail is very icy and snow covered. Once you turn onto the Mount Rogers Spur Trail, it really is like a winter wonderland. Definitely worth it! Will look forward to doing another route or two up to Mount Rogers as well. Note that there is an outhouse at the trailhead on VA 600. Stats: 9.22 miles 3:41 hours

Sun Sep 30 2018

Other than the length, this is on the low end of Moderate if you hike on even a semi regular basis. Be careful on the wet rocks. I can’t say a lot about the views on the way up as it was a very cloudy day. So most of the day, I had less than 100 feet visibility. I will say that the views at the summit are non-existent. I did come back down the Elk Garden Trail, which avoided some of the rocks and gave a slightly different view and included an open field with several ponies.

Fri Jul 13 2018

Hike is pretty exhausting but my 6 y/o actually did it. Surprised me that I never had to carry her. Don’t expect any amazing views at the summit. It’s just a big rock surrounded by a bunch of trees. Seen several horses on our way back down and actually walked out on the Virginia Horse Trail part which actually seemed easier. Overall good hike but was sore.

Fri May 25 2018

Great day for a hike. Left early due to chance of thunder storms but got lucky. I think I like this route better than from Grayson Highland since you're hiking through the forest. Several people I met on the trail asked about the views and you just have to realize it's not about the View. As always Mt. Rogers is just different and unique. Great smell in the cedar forest. Actual distance is closer to 9 miles

Thu Nov 23 2017

Did this trail in November. Much of the second half was snow covered, and the junction of trails at Rhododendron Gap was not terribly clear. The summit felt like a winter wonderland -- totally worth it.

Tue Jul 25 2017

Nice trail easy to follow and well marked. I hiked Massie Gap to Mt Rogers Summit then Continued to elk gardens on the AT. The Massie Gap approach has better views and more ponies if your looking to Summit MT Rogers.

Tue May 23 2017

most bizarre landscape I had ever seen at the time. beautiful scenery

Wed Mar 15 2017

Easy, nice hike. Long views but not dramatic. I caught a warmer, winter day. I really liked it.

Fri May 15 2015

Nice trail. Quite and peaceful. Looked at the remnants of an farm (fence and field) no structures. Hiked to Mt. Rogers using this route, good workout.

ohv/off road driving