Mount Rogers Trail

Mount Rogers Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Amazing and Beautiful!!! I hike it weekly

Absolute, hands down, favorite hike to date. It's more about the scenery on the way to the top of Mt.Rogers that makes this trail worthwhile. We started at the Massie Gap parking area, went along the Rhododendron Trail to the AT trail (I believe). Every part of the trail getting to Mt.Rogers is stunning. We saw tons of the wild ponies and cattle along the trail which made this an amazing unique experience. We may have gotten rained on the first half of the trip but it didn't make it any less awesome. The view from the peak of Mt.Rogers is all wooded but it is beautiful nonetheless. Worth it to say you've been on the peak of the highest mountain in VA! I believe the hike is marked hard for how long it is because it really isn't challenging otherwise. Just make sure to wear good shoes and bring lots of snacks/water.

Enjoyed a nice, wet, quiet hike with the significant other. Unfortunately couldn't camp in the Highlands area due to bear activity. Always properly handle your food folks. Trail can be a little slippery in some spots but pretty much impossible to get lost. Definitely a lot longer than the listed 10.8.

Good hike. Started from Massie Gap. Three hours up via Wilburn Ridge and stopping for the ponies. Two hours down at a pretty steady pace. Recommend skipping Wilburn. Two markers at the summit. One is an error. They're on two boulders, about 30 feet apart. No view there, and notably cooler.

This is a beautiful challenging trail and I say that after having hiked it in a pretty heavy rainstorm so couldn't even
see all the views!! The flora is great and you MUST start at the Massie Gap parking lot so you can come up through Rhododendron Trail to Appalachian Trail to the spur at the Thomas Knob shelter. This way you pass the wild ponies which is a wonderful experience.

It’s a beautiful a trail as I have seen, bar none. Watch out for the bulls though.

Nice trails, rocky. But the trails are NOT marked so that you can easily find your way.

I think it’s worth pointing out that this apps directions take you towards the Grindstone Campground trail head.......which is 1.) a 14+ mile hike and 2.) Not the side of the mountain with the wild ponies. Once we got closer and realized it, we put the correct location in our GPS and found out it was going to be a 5.5 hour drive to the other trail head for us.

The trail was beautiful, regardless. It was a bit longer than we expected and we had been pretty excited about the ponies- but the terrain was great. Not sure I’d rate it difficult, but my feet were definitely hurting by the end of it.

If you do the Grindstone CG route, on your way back down from the summit definitely take the mini detour down to the Thomas Knob shelter with the rock lookout (follow the Rhododendron trail down to the left at the fork).....it added less than half a mile overall and was worth it!

did this as a day hike with my dog on 5/19/18. Had been a rainy week and the trail was flooded out in spots. Rivers running right down the trail. But despite the wet trail, it was very nice. Started at Grindstone campground and took Mt. Rogers trail up to the A.T. to the summit. 7 miles from the campground to the summit one way. All the wonderful views are on the A.T. and the are well worth the effort!

loved this trail, I've hiked it twice. great views and an easy trail

Really fun, not that hard.

My dog and I did this trail 2 days ago. great hike! Very scenic! We took Lewis fork and wow did I under estimate the trail, it's pretty tough. I enjoyed every step though. I will definitely visit the surrounding trails! the horses are so cool. they were on the trail and refused to move so we scooted past and pet them on the way past!

Completed the hike 2/20/18 to bag the state high peak. The lush, mossy forest made for neat scenery but also made for a wet and rocky trail. Majority of the trail, as well as the summit, is in the trees which leads to a fairly underwhelming view, but none the less an enjoyable hike with some scenic views here and there. Wish the ponies were out! Trail is longer than the 10.8 mi posted, RT from the trailhead is 12.6 miles. Glad to have VA's tallest peak in the bag!

amazing views, wild ponies, doesn't get much better in the south east

This is probably my favorite hike on the east coast. We did this over a cold winter weekend. The wind was fierce atop the mountain, but the views were breaktaking. The wild ponies were definitely the highlight of the trip. Be careful and pay attention to the route - we ended up getting lost more than once. I reviewed the trail in great detail here for thoes who want to check it out before making the journey! https://adventuresinroamance.com/backpacking-in-the-south/

We did this over Thanksgiving holiday to bag another state high peak. It was cold but clear. The trail is easy with no steep parts. The views were just ok, as compared with other eastern mtns. The weird thing was the summit was in a group of trees? No view at al from there. We didn’t see the ponies, but their poop was everywhere on the high trail. The only thing that makes this hike tough is the length, it’s not that long but it’s frankly boring for at least 75% of it, makes it seem longer.

Loved this hike. Highest peak in Virginia. Really sore though

Beautiful views, wild ponies, climbing rocks, this trail is awesome! When you reach the summit you are in a lush, green forest. Take the map that they give you with you and use it. You can easily get off trail and lost if you don't look back to it. Around every bend was a new, incredible view. We stayed in awe the whole time we hiked it. Lots of places to camp out. Plenty of people hiking in at sunset to stay overnight.

Monday, October 09, 2017

A hike of 2 parts. Started in the rain, trudged upwards trying to avoid the numerous streams that had created on the trail. By the time I reached the summit, my boots were sodden and I was wringing out water from my socks. Retracing to the trailhead, the weather was considerably brighter with some sunshine. Sharp contrast to be heading down with the sun peeping through the trees. Trail is longer than the 10.9 miles posted. At least 12.2 miles.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Amazing!! Stay overnight, the sunrise is wonderful.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

makes you feel like your out west with the terrain wild horse and long horn cows no view at the top but with the thick Forest and the beautiful green moss it is breath taking

Monday, September 25, 2017

This is actually a 12.5 mile hike, out and back. I do not recommend children on this hike if you are planning to hike the entire thing. It's tough in some areas of the trail. If you do plan to hike this, I recommend planning it for the entire day and take your time to enjoy the beauty. The smell of the pine trees that swallowed us was amazing and refreshing!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

My son and me went this past weekend(aug 18-19). several excellent easy rock climbs and views. Not too difficult. enjoyed seeing the changing eco-systems as the hike progressed. this is a piece of heaven. enjoy!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Hiked this trail yesterday. Was a fairly easy hike, but long. Beautiful scenery changes along the way. I would like to add that my friend and I had encountered a large black bear twice during our hike. We hiked up on him both times around 30 feet away (right on the trail the first time and just off the trail the second time). He was not aggressive but still a very frightening expirience. Be cautious and alert on this trail. Bring bear mace with you in case an encounter turns aggressive. The ponies were great! Very friendly.

Monday, July 24, 2017

I took the trail up from Laurel Vally Road, there is a small parking area about one half mile from the horse camp. The ever changing ecosystems made the hike exciting at every turn as there was always something new around ever corner. I had to leave the trail a bit to catch the horses. I will never forget the views. It had just rained so I had to trek through a lot of thick mud and uneven areas. Based on the other reviews I read I think this is the more challenging trail to the summit; however still not super difficult. I drank about 3 liters of water over the course of the hike. If it's warm I would recommend that much if not a little more.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

on 7/27/15 this hike was awesome and had a very LOTR vibe to it

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

We hiked from Massie Gap up to Thomas Knob Shelter- didn't quite make the summit. The day just got away from us. We had our 2 kids with us 6 and 8 yrears old and they had a ball. There are herds of wild ponies in the hills and we saw a ton of them. Loads of foals as well. We saw a deer only about 20 feet off the trail. Had lunch at the shelter and spoke to some really cool folks. Great trail and a great day. Rubber lags at the end.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

The journey is better than the destination. The top is completely tree covered, but the hike up is pretty much in the open. Not very physically demanding. Great views along the way. However the trail is not well marked. Ended up taking the wrong trail and had a mile detour.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Tough start, but the views are 100% worth it!

Thursday, June 15, 2017

One of my favorite places on earth. Diverse, unique and absolutely beautiful.