Mount Rogers Trail

Mount Rogers Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

One of my favorite places on earth. Diverse, unique and absolutely beautiful.

Hiked this on April 22. Started at Chestnut Hollow Campground in Grayson Highlands so it added an extra mile or so to the total. Hike started about 0830 from the Campgrounds as I had met a friend there and we camped the night before there. Weather was looming and we knew we were going to get wet but had this trip on the calendar for months so there was no turning back. Very overcast but the views on the way up were spectacular none the less. Saw more hikers than we expected given the weather. There is no view from the summit as you are in a spruce/fir forest (which in itself is very worth the hike). On the way back down the sky opened and the bottom fell out but at least we were on the way back down. Backcountry Navigator Pro (I love this app) showed we made it to the summit in 1 hour 50 minutes moving time with an extra 31 minutes of stop time for picture taking. We were surprised at the abundance of rocky terrain encountered halfway through which combined with the wet conditions from previous rain did slow us down a bit. Overall a very good hike and well worth it!

Amazing !!

This trail was awesome. we walked this trail when then wind factor was below 10 degrees. Our water froze to ice. Great hike!!

I hiked from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to the Mount Rogers summit (November 2015) on a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. The many open views are spectacular. I particularly enjoyed crossing Wilburn Ridge. I took the more direct and rocky route on the way out and the somewhat less challenging 'bypass' on the way back. The trail also takes you through Rhododendron Gap and by the Thomas Knob Shelter (shortly before the Summit Spur). I wish I had known about the second marker at the summit...I will be sure to find it on a return trip! After descending from the summit, I followed the Mount Rogers Trail a little further before heading back to the park. I will probably hike in from the Elk Garden section next time.

I wouldn't consider this trail "hard." I think moderate would be the maximum difficulty level this trail deserves. I went on Black Friday and I only saw 9 other people who had the same plan to avoid shopping at all costs.
I went with my 9 year old husky and a 25 lb pack and we finished right at 5 hours, with stops for breaks and pictures. There were pony droppings on the trail, but we didn't see any.
It was really cool passing through different ecosystems along the trail. One side of the mountain features a more dry climate and the other is very moist with differences in vegetation.
I'll definitely be going back in the spring/summer

Hiked from Massie Gap and Grayson Highlands State Park. Wind chill at times was as low as 7F degrees. Paid $7 out of state parking fee [year round], and parked right across the field from the Rhododendron Trail. Spent 6 hours on the trail [you can do it in 4 hours], used Rhododendron and AT trails, past Thomas Knob shelter and took AT Spur to the top - make sure you locate the second geodetic marker at the top as there are two - met many people along the way, visited with the wild ponies, took Wilburn Ridge [blue blaze] on the way back ... some steep places but a great view from the top. After our trek had a great barbecue sandwich... everything tastes good after 9 miles and 1500' of elevation gain. This is a great day trip for anyone who can drive up to 4 hours each way. Highly recommend hiking this area to the densely wooded top of Mt. Rogers [note the exposed areas along the way offer fantastic views].

Pine trees and ponies aplenty -- and it smelled like Christmas! I am anxious to go back to see the rhododendrons in bloom.