Mount Rogers Trail

Mount Rogers Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My son and me went this past weekend(aug 18-19). several excellent easy rock climbs and views. Not too difficult. enjoyed seeing the changing eco-systems as the hike progressed. this is a piece of heaven. enjoy!

Hiked this trail yesterday. Was a fairly easy hike, but long. Beautiful scenery changes along the way. I would like to add that my friend and I had encountered a large black bear twice during our hike. We hiked up on him both times around 30 feet away (right on the trail the first time and just off the trail the second time). He was not aggressive but still a very frightening expirience. Be cautious and alert on this trail. Bring bear mace with you in case an encounter turns aggressive. The ponies were great! Very friendly.

I took the trail up from Laurel Vally Road, there is a small parking area about one half mile from the horse camp. The ever changing ecosystems made the hike exciting at every turn as there was always something new around ever corner. I had to leave the trail a bit to catch the horses. I will never forget the views. It had just rained so I had to trek through a lot of thick mud and uneven areas. Based on the other reviews I read I think this is the more challenging trail to the summit; however still not super difficult. I drank about 3 liters of water over the course of the hike. If it's warm I would recommend that much if not a little more.

on 7/27/15 this hike was awesome and had a very LOTR vibe to it

We hiked from Massie Gap up to Thomas Knob Shelter- didn't quite make the summit. The day just got away from us. We had our 2 kids with us 6 and 8 yrears old and they had a ball. There are herds of wild ponies in the hills and we saw a ton of them. Loads of foals as well. We saw a deer only about 20 feet off the trail. Had lunch at the shelter and spoke to some really cool folks. Great trail and a great day. Rubber lags at the end.

The journey is better than the destination. The top is completely tree covered, but the hike up is pretty much in the open. Not very physically demanding. Great views along the way. However the trail is not well marked. Ended up taking the wrong trail and had a mile detour.

Tough start, but the views are 100% worth it!

One of my favorite places on earth. Diverse, unique and absolutely beautiful.

Hiked this on April 22. Started at Chestnut Hollow Campground in Grayson Highlands so it added an extra mile or so to the total. Hike started about 0830 from the Campgrounds as I had met a friend there and we camped the night before there. Weather was looming and we knew we were going to get wet but had this trip on the calendar for months so there was no turning back. Very overcast but the views on the way up were spectacular none the less. Saw more hikers than we expected given the weather. There is no view from the summit as you are in a spruce/fir forest (which in itself is very worth the hike). On the way back down the sky opened and the bottom fell out but at least we were on the way back down. Backcountry Navigator Pro (I love this app) showed we made it to the summit in 1 hour 50 minutes moving time with an extra 31 minutes of stop time for picture taking. We were surprised at the abundance of rocky terrain encountered halfway through which combined with the wet conditions from previous rain did slow us down a bit. Overall a very good hike and well worth it!

Amazing !!

This trail was awesome. we walked this trail when then wind factor was below 10 degrees. Our water froze to ice. Great hike!!

I hiked from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to the Mount Rogers summit (November 2015) on a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. The many open views are spectacular. I particularly enjoyed crossing Wilburn Ridge. I took the more direct and rocky route on the way out and the somewhat less challenging 'bypass' on the way back. The trail also takes you through Rhododendron Gap and by the Thomas Knob Shelter (shortly before the Summit Spur). I wish I had known about the second marker at the summit...I will be sure to find it on a return trip! After descending from the summit, I followed the Mount Rogers Trail a little further before heading back to the park. I will probably hike in from the Elk Garden section next time.

I wouldn't consider this trail "hard." I think moderate would be the maximum difficulty level this trail deserves. I went on Black Friday and I only saw 9 other people who had the same plan to avoid shopping at all costs.
I went with my 9 year old husky and a 25 lb pack and we finished right at 5 hours, with stops for breaks and pictures. There were pony droppings on the trail, but we didn't see any.
It was really cool passing through different ecosystems along the trail. One side of the mountain features a more dry climate and the other is very moist with differences in vegetation.
I'll definitely be going back in the spring/summer