Mount Rogers Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,427 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A great long hike! Walk through diverse settings and vistas. The summit is under canopy with no view, however, a cool lush feeling for resting before heading back down.

WARNING/PLEASE READ: Do not confuse the Mount Rogers Trail - whose trailhead is a few miles NORTH of the mountain, with the various paths that approach from the SOUTH. About half the reviews on this All Trails page are for the latter! This includes the paths that start from Grayson Highlands State Park and Wilburn Ridge/Massie Gap (Rhododendron Trail, Appalachian Spur Trail, Virginia Highland, etc) that connect to the Appalachian Trail. If you take the Mount Rogers Trail to see the Grayson Highlands and the feral ponies, you will add another four-five miles to this hike. For the reviews and descriptions of those paths, look on All Trails for either the "Mount Rogers Spur via Appalachian Trail" or "Appalachian Trail to Mount Rogers". The trail path listed (Mount Rogers Trail, Appalachian Trail, Mount Rogers Spur) is a 12.5-13 mile hike which is 90 percent forest-covered. There is small highland bald around the five mile mark before you get to the Mount Rogers Spur Trail. The last mile to the summit changes to a spruce/fir forest that would fit in the Pacific Northwest. There are barely any views, even in winter without the tree foliage. I chose the Mount Rogers trail because I wanted the longer path and elevation change, and I have seen the feral ponies in Grayson Highlands on a previous hike. Also, I wanted to hike Virginia's highest mountain. On this particular day, there was 3-6 inches of snow on the mountain. While the snow pack was not slippery and well compacted, it did make for a slower ascent. Also, it smoothed out what would have been a very rocky climb, particularly around the 3 to 5 mile section of the trail. The trails starts with a trio of long switchbacks that are not too challenging. Since the weather was slightly above freezing, there were several water crossings with a few having short wooden walkways. It is not a steep hike, but it is unrelentingly steady upward climb. The markings on the trail are okay, most of it is quite intuitive. However, almost made a wrong turn at the junction of the AT and Mount Rogers Trail, near Deep Gap. GPS works just fine, but forget about any cellular coverage. Watch for the weather! Two previous attempts to hike the mountain was canceled due to severe thunderstorms and heavy snowfall respectively. While there was little precipitation today, I descended down the mountain in a thick fog for about one-third of the hike. The hike was very picturesque due to the snow, despite the lack of views. According to the park office, the bears are hibernating but there were reports of skunk activity. Saw a weasel running in the snow. And of course, no ponies.

Gorgeous trail! I hiked this starting at the Massie Gap entrance and took the Wilburn Ridge trail off the AT for the rock scramble and the best views! Wilburn Ridge then intersects back on the AT to go up to the summit. This hike has everything...fields, rocks, views, forest and ponies everywhere! I hiked this trail on 12/28 (a Saturday). I got to Massie gap at 8:30am and I was the first person there. As the day went on, the trail became more and more crowded especially closer to Massie gap and the parking lot was packed by the time I finished the hike. The trail was a little too crowded for my liking but it may have been because it was a Saturday on a holiday weekend with 60 degree sunny weather. Still loved the trail though, a definite must see! Not difficult at all, more moderate in my opinion.

One of the most uniquely beautiful trails on the East Coast. The grassy balds, sprinkled with massive boulders transport you to the feeling of leaving the Shire and heading up the Misty Mountains. Be respectful of the horses and steers and they won't bother you. Warning: pay attention to the weather. Do not camp on any bald summits with storms in the area, it is incredibly dangerous.

Can be challenging in places,was Rocky and slippery in places!

We hiked this trail October 18th and it was the perfect time of year! Cool weather, beautiful scenery, and wild ponies! We brought our 1 year old pup along and he had the time of his life. The trail offered amazing views & well manicured trails. The only thing I wish we would have done is packed in for an overnight at one of the many camp sites. We can check this one off our 50 high points list!

not a difficult trail, just meanders and takes its time climbing to the summit. no views at the summit, but there are some very nice long range views beforehand. Very cool stand of pines near the summit as well.

This was one of my favorite hikes! I will probably never do a hike so beautiful. As young folk this hike was not difficult, and to the “top” of mt Rogers it was under 9 miles. I recommend going in late fall for some unbeatable color

Hike was absolutely lovely, aside from being incredibly windy up towards the top. The views were amazing, we went while the leaves were changing and the colors were brilliant. We were also able to see plenty of wild horses, though we didn’t get to close as they would snort and pick up their hooves. Even though they come into contact with people daily, you shouldn’t feed or pet them. They’re still wild animals. I would definitely do this hike again, and camp there as well! Loved every bit of it.

Mostly shaded for the first 5ish miles. A few nice views along the way. Mount Rogers Summit is all wooded - no views. The out/back is just over 13 miles.

Great trail with incredible views, fairly Rocky in places.

Did this hike from Grindstone campsite back in May. Ended up being about 14 miles total. The switchbacks were challenging in the beginning but after that it wasn’t bad. Definitely worth it - amazing views and wildlife.

Drove all of the way down from New England to be met only with disappointment. I’ve hiked all of the major mountains up north and was really excited to start exploring the south, starting with Mount Rogers based on the excellent reviews. However, this hike ended up being closer to 14 miles and was not worth doing. No waterfalls. No wild ponies. No summit views. And no summit sign.

Sat May 04 2019

This trail is closer to 14.5 miles, but it is absolutely worth seeing. Wild ponies, waterfalls, and large open fields. Part of this trail overlaps with the Appalachian Trail so you'll meet lots of hikers in the spring.

Wed Apr 03 2019

Hiked this trail when I was ten years old with my dad as a part of a 5 day backpacking trip. Best hiking trip of my life.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Great trail just be aware distance is closer to 13 miles

Sun Mar 31 2019

Quite difficult but well worth it! If you love endless rocks, stones and boulders then this is the hike for you. Trails are marked really well. Ponies are great - though not really ‘wild’ per se as a lot of people were petting and feeding them.

Sat Mar 30 2019

I'm 56, in pretty good shape for my age, and I didn't find the hike to the top all that difficult. Took me and my son around 3.5 hours to the top and a few hours back. I was sore afterwards. I've hiked many trails in Colorado, California and a few in Iceland, but I found the Mt. Rogers hike one of my favorite. Very diverse biomes. One minute you're in forest, then the next minute open grasslands, then onto a forest that looked like Ewoks live there. There are two bolder areas at the top that have survey markers from 1933. Look for them if you hike here. Pretty cool. The ponies were cool to see too.

Sun Mar 24 2019

was cold and had snowed for my hike here, but it was great nonetheless. Got to see the wild ponies, awesome views and a fun rock scramble. Lots of rocky trail, but well worth the trip.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Great hike! Was not that difficult to complete, the elevation increased gradually. There were lots of rocks to climb over which I found to be fun and not that challenging. The summit did not have a vista view, it was located in a dense forest area. But that was ok as there were lots of places along the way to take in amazing views. Saw wild ponies multiple times on the hike. Trails were not marked that well. There were a few times my group went the wrong way and had to backtrack.

Mon Feb 18 2019

Excellent hike in retrospect... on the way, however, experienced more difficult conditions than anticipated. It had also rained and some ice/slippery areas. We started from Massey Gap in fog/sleet. More bouldering than expected on the Wilburn trail, so if you’re not up for that, stick to the all white marked Appalachian trail once out of Grayson State park. We did see some ponies on the way down. High point Markers on top are a bit hidden in forest so take your time to explore !

Sat Nov 24 2018

An excellent hike. I left from Massie Gap parking area in Grayson Highlands State Park and it took me about 5 hours round trip. That included some time for detours to scenic spots, snapping photos, and sitting down for a quick lunch. The summit is surrounded by trees, so there is no view. However, not far away there are some some outstanding scenic overlooks. The map and some of the posts are a little misleading in that there are three routes to the summit starting at these areas: 1) Grayson Highlands State Park 2) Grindstone Campground Trailhead (this is the route shown on this posting) 3) Elk Garden Trailhead Fees for parking in the state part are $5 for VA residents and $7 for non-residents. Here is the link to a helpful map for Grayson Highlands Park: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/document/data/trail-guide-graysonhighlands.pdf I will also post a pic I took of a poster with information on Mt. Rogers. It has history and shows the three routes.