Mount Rogers Trail

Mount Rogers Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A hike of 2 parts. Started in the rain, trudged upwards trying to avoid the numerous streams that had created on the trail. By the time I reached the summit, my boots were sodden and I was wringing out water from my socks. Retracing to the trailhead, the weather was considerably brighter with some sunshine. Sharp contrast to be heading down with the sun peeping through the trees. Trail is longer than the 10.9 miles posted. At least 12.2 miles.

Amazing!! Stay overnight, the sunrise is wonderful.

makes you feel like your out west with the terrain wild horse and long horn cows no view at the top but with the thick Forest and the beautiful green moss it is breath taking

This is actually a 12.5 mile hike, out and back. I do not recommend children on this hike if you are planning to hike the entire thing. It's tough in some areas of the trail. If you do plan to hike this, I recommend planning it for the entire day and take your time to enjoy the beauty. The smell of the pine trees that swallowed us was amazing and refreshing!

My son and me went this past weekend(aug 18-19). several excellent easy rock climbs and views. Not too difficult. enjoyed seeing the changing eco-systems as the hike progressed. this is a piece of heaven. enjoy!

Hiked this trail yesterday. Was a fairly easy hike, but long. Beautiful scenery changes along the way. I would like to add that my friend and I had encountered a large black bear twice during our hike. We hiked up on him both times around 30 feet away (right on the trail the first time and just off the trail the second time). He was not aggressive but still a very frightening expirience. Be cautious and alert on this trail. Bring bear mace with you in case an encounter turns aggressive. The ponies were great! Very friendly.

I took the trail up from Laurel Vally Road, there is a small parking area about one half mile from the horse camp. The ever changing ecosystems made the hike exciting at every turn as there was always something new around ever corner. I had to leave the trail a bit to catch the horses. I will never forget the views. It had just rained so I had to trek through a lot of thick mud and uneven areas. Based on the other reviews I read I think this is the more challenging trail to the summit; however still not super difficult. I drank about 3 liters of water over the course of the hike. If it's warm I would recommend that much if not a little more.

on 7/27/15 this hike was awesome and had a very LOTR vibe to it

We hiked from Massie Gap up to Thomas Knob Shelter- didn't quite make the summit. The day just got away from us. We had our 2 kids with us 6 and 8 yrears old and they had a ball. There are herds of wild ponies in the hills and we saw a ton of them. Loads of foals as well. We saw a deer only about 20 feet off the trail. Had lunch at the shelter and spoke to some really cool folks. Great trail and a great day. Rubber lags at the end.

The journey is better than the destination. The top is completely tree covered, but the hike up is pretty much in the open. Not very physically demanding. Great views along the way. However the trail is not well marked. Ended up taking the wrong trail and had a mile detour.

Tough start, but the views are 100% worth it!

One of my favorite places on earth. Diverse, unique and absolutely beautiful.