Mount Rogers Trail

Mount Rogers Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Loved this hike. Highest peak in Virginia. Really sore though

Beautiful views, wild ponies, climbing rocks, this trail is awesome! When you reach the summit you are in a lush, green forest. Take the map that they give you with you and use it. You can easily get off trail and lost if you don't look back to it. Around every bend was a new, incredible view. We stayed in awe the whole time we hiked it. Lots of places to camp out. Plenty of people hiking in at sunset to stay overnight.

A hike of 2 parts. Started in the rain, trudged upwards trying to avoid the numerous streams that had created on the trail. By the time I reached the summit, my boots were sodden and I was wringing out water from my socks. Retracing to the trailhead, the weather was considerably brighter with some sunshine. Sharp contrast to be heading down with the sun peeping through the trees. Trail is longer than the 10.9 miles posted. At least 12.2 miles.

Amazing!! Stay overnight, the sunrise is wonderful.

makes you feel like your out west with the terrain wild horse and long horn cows no view at the top but with the thick Forest and the beautiful green moss it is breath taking

This is actually a 12.5 mile hike, out and back. I do not recommend children on this hike if you are planning to hike the entire thing. It's tough in some areas of the trail. If you do plan to hike this, I recommend planning it for the entire day and take your time to enjoy the beauty. The smell of the pine trees that swallowed us was amazing and refreshing!

My son and me went this past weekend(aug 18-19). several excellent easy rock climbs and views. Not too difficult. enjoyed seeing the changing eco-systems as the hike progressed. this is a piece of heaven. enjoy!

Hiked this trail yesterday. Was a fairly easy hike, but long. Beautiful scenery changes along the way. I would like to add that my friend and I had encountered a large black bear twice during our hike. We hiked up on him both times around 30 feet away (right on the trail the first time and just off the trail the second time). He was not aggressive but still a very frightening expirience. Be cautious and alert on this trail. Bring bear mace with you in case an encounter turns aggressive. The ponies were great! Very friendly.

I took the trail up from Laurel Vally Road, there is a small parking area about one half mile from the horse camp. The ever changing ecosystems made the hike exciting at every turn as there was always something new around ever corner. I had to leave the trail a bit to catch the horses. I will never forget the views. It had just rained so I had to trek through a lot of thick mud and uneven areas. Based on the other reviews I read I think this is the more challenging trail to the summit; however still not super difficult. I drank about 3 liters of water over the course of the hike. If it's warm I would recommend that much if not a little more.

on 7/27/15 this hike was awesome and had a very LOTR vibe to it

We hiked from Massie Gap up to Thomas Knob Shelter- didn't quite make the summit. The day just got away from us. We had our 2 kids with us 6 and 8 yrears old and they had a ball. There are herds of wild ponies in the hills and we saw a ton of them. Loads of foals as well. We saw a deer only about 20 feet off the trail. Had lunch at the shelter and spoke to some really cool folks. Great trail and a great day. Rubber lags at the end.

The journey is better than the destination. The top is completely tree covered, but the hike up is pretty much in the open. Not very physically demanding. Great views along the way. However the trail is not well marked. Ended up taking the wrong trail and had a mile detour.

Tough start, but the views are 100% worth it!

One of my favorite places on earth. Diverse, unique and absolutely beautiful.

Hiked this on April 22. Started at Chestnut Hollow Campground in Grayson Highlands so it added an extra mile or so to the total. Hike started about 0830 from the Campgrounds as I had met a friend there and we camped the night before there. Weather was looming and we knew we were going to get wet but had this trip on the calendar for months so there was no turning back. Very overcast but the views on the way up were spectacular none the less. Saw more hikers than we expected given the weather. There is no view from the summit as you are in a spruce/fir forest (which in itself is very worth the hike). On the way back down the sky opened and the bottom fell out but at least we were on the way back down. Backcountry Navigator Pro (I love this app) showed we made it to the summit in 1 hour 50 minutes moving time with an extra 31 minutes of stop time for picture taking. We were surprised at the abundance of rocky terrain encountered halfway through which combined with the wet conditions from previous rain did slow us down a bit. Overall a very good hike and well worth it!

Amazing !!

This trail was awesome. we walked this trail when then wind factor was below 10 degrees. Our water froze to ice. Great hike!!

Sunday, December 04, 2016

I hiked from Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park to the Mount Rogers summit (November 2015) on a beautiful and unseasonably warm day. The many open views are spectacular. I particularly enjoyed crossing Wilburn Ridge. I took the more direct and rocky route on the way out and the somewhat less challenging 'bypass' on the way back. The trail also takes you through Rhododendron Gap and by the Thomas Knob Shelter (shortly before the Summit Spur). I wish I had known about the second marker at the summit...I will be sure to find it on a return trip! After descending from the summit, I followed the Mount Rogers Trail a little further before heading back to the park. I will probably hike in from the Elk Garden section next time.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

I wouldn't consider this trail "hard." I think moderate would be the maximum difficulty level this trail deserves. I went on Black Friday and I only saw 9 other people who had the same plan to avoid shopping at all costs.
I went with my 9 year old husky and a 25 lb pack and we finished right at 5 hours, with stops for breaks and pictures. There were pony droppings on the trail, but we didn't see any.
It was really cool passing through different ecosystems along the trail. One side of the mountain features a more dry climate and the other is very moist with differences in vegetation.
I'll definitely be going back in the spring/summer

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Hiked from Massie Gap and Grayson Highlands State Park. Wind chill at times was as low as 7F degrees. Paid $7 out of state parking fee [year round], and parked right across the field from the Rhododendron Trail. Spent 6 hours on the trail [you can do it in 4 hours], used Rhododendron and AT trails, past Thomas Knob shelter and took AT Spur to the top - make sure you locate the second geodetic marker at the top as there are two - met many people along the way, visited with the wild ponies, took Wilburn Ridge [blue blaze] on the way back ... some steep places but a great view from the top. After our trek had a great barbecue sandwich... everything tastes good after 9 miles and 1500' of elevation gain. This is a great day trip for anyone who can drive up to 4 hours each way. Highly recommend hiking this area to the densely wooded top of Mt. Rogers [note the exposed areas along the way offer fantastic views].