Mount Rogers Spur via Appalachian Trail

Mount Rogers Spur via Appalachian Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Creek, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail on a beautiful day! Well worth the drive!

I started at Massey Gap parking at Grayson Highlands. Round trip 6 hours with a lot of time spent on the summit of Mnt Rogers. 360 views all the way up the AT and the summit looks like a forest from the Pacific Northwest. Unreal that this exists in Virginia! Grayson Highlands is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and the hike to Mnt Rogers lets you enjoy all of that, with ponies and long horn steer included!

Hiked over to Mt Rogers from Grayson Park parking lot. It was a very overcast day with light rain and heavy mist. We could only see out about fifty feet most of the morning. Just after noon it stopped raining and the clouds thinned out, just a little bit. We never really had a good view but the hike is very nice, even in the inclement weather. We did see the ponies and plenty of bear scat. Overall, an excellent hike. I’d love to do it again in the warmer months.

Hiked this trail yesterday during peak foliage. Overall a great experience, with a variety of landscapes. The rocks on the trail were a bit hard on my feet, but the glades and ponies were well worth the 5h drive.

Great to hit the highest peak in VA! Both markers were easy to find at the top. The signage on the trails were easy to follow. The paper maps provided by the park didn't seem very thorough, but a nice backup to have. I added on Cabin Creek trail at the end by taking a right on the Rhododendron Trail, and then another right on main horse trail by parking lot. Cabin Creek adds about 2mi to your trek. Nice stream and falls to relax by after making the climb to Mt Rogers.

Hiked to Mt. Rogers Summit on 8/28 from Massie Gap. Headed out around 0830 and had the trail and summit to myself for the first 3 hrs. Very rocky but the elevation gain wan't bad. Many nice camp sights along the AT. The summit was neat, very different from surrounding area. Found both survey markers and not sure why there are 2. Not a difficult hike for an old man. Round trip took just under 4 hrs with a distance of 8.75 miles.

This is a stellar half day hike that provides a bounty of 360-degree views along the way. The rocky terrain merits the moderate rating, but it is an otherwise completely manageable trail that is not overly taxing. The wild ponies within Grayson Highland did not disappoint; plenty of trailside appearances along the way. I had not researched the summit very well and was surprised by how low profile the marker is – but was very gratified to find in on the large boulder beneath the trees. Would definitely return to backpack and camp along this route.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

First time hiking to Mount Rogers. I accessed it via Massey Gap in Grayson Highlands. Got to see lots of wild ponies and their babies. Hiked along the AT to the Summit. It's a very rocky trail but the views are Amazing all the way up! The Summit is in an old forest that is absolutely gorgeous. One of the prettiest places I have ever been to. I cannot wait to do it again.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

One of the coolest hikes in Virginia for sure. Has a more western mountain type feel to it with the high up terrain you get to see. The wild ponies are an incredible cherry on top for this hike as well. At the end the trail goes into a beautiful forest with an anticlimactic finish at the summit which is in the trees as opposed to a final view point but the best views are many and often all along the way there and back.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Lots of great views, even on a foggy day. Trail is rocky, but not painful. Beautiful over-the-clouds views from Pine Mtn on the way up. Upon reaching the summit, it becomes a mossy oasis. If you're overnighting, heed the sign...conditions change rapidly...and the local forecasters really have no clue as to what it will do at 5400 feet. Beautiful hike & well worth the wind & rain on the trip back down.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

The half mile spur to the summit through the dense moss-covered pine trees is quite a contrast to the dramatic mostly open terrain you pass to get there. Though slightly anti-climatic despite being at the highest point in Virginia (5729 feet), it is the journey that matters most...and what a journey it is! I am glad I know about the second marker at the summit now...thank you Bill! I will be sure to find it on the next visit.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Mt. Rogers Spur proper is a blue blazed trail leaving the AT near the Thomas Knob Shelter along the AT that climbs to Virginia's high point at 5729 feet. We hiked on a partly cloudy cold day with a wind chill of 7 degrees in the open areas. It got much warmer out of the wind on the tree covered top of Mt. Rogers. The Spur travels up though first fields of grass and then dense pines at the top much like what you encounter along the Black Mountain Crest Trail and Mt. Mitchell in NC. I'd also compare it to the dense moss covered pine forests of British Columbia. The top is not very spectacular except for the change in climate zone and the cool forest. There are two geodetic markers, the true top is the second one which is only 100 feet or so from the first across the area at the top. This hike, combined with the lower trails from Massie Gap that you have to take to get there is a not to miss adventure! Enjoy!

Friday, March 25, 2016

This was a very nice hike. We reached the trailhead from the massey gap parking lot, taking the Rhododendron Gap trail to the Appalachian Trail. Took about 4 miles to reach the Mount Rogers Spur Trail, and every mile was totally worth it. The hike started out with wild ponies, how can you beat that. The hike was very rocky but full of scenery and views all around you. We are attempting to hike all of the highest peaks in every state, and this is by far the most fun and most scenic hike we have done yet, having completed all of the states in the southeast thus far. The Mount Rogers spur trail alone was a very easy short hike to the summit, hiking through some very thick wooded areas that is very beautiful. Our only negative would have to be that there was no sign at the top stating the peak and its elevation. Luckily their was a piece of cardboard with the info out it laying on a rock that someone made. HA.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

I enjoy this area a lot. I recently hiked this area in February and I'll let you know it was exactly what the warning signs say, the weather can change drastically quickly. If you go to this area in winter or early spring please prepare for that. We actually saw some hikers heading up late in the afternoon with not a lot of protection or gear. We warned them of how cold it will get and when the sun goes down it will be a tot a lly different scene. We hope they heeded our earning and got back down to Massie gap before sun down.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great workout

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Friendly Feral Ponies! Need I say more? I didn't think so....

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Great views and trails

Monday, November 11, 2013

This is an awesome hike to the highest point in VA. Don't let the fact that this trail itself is 0.5 mi. fool you. The nearest access points are Grayson Highlands, Grindstone, and Elk Garden. They are each over 4 miles away from this trail's start point. But nevertheless, this is an awesome hike, with ponies, views, trail shelters, and many hikers you will likely meet along the way. Come in from Grayson Highlands to experience the best views. At the summit there are... no views. Just the satisfaction of being at VA's highest point, I guess. I found a big group of hikers up there when I reached it last August. This mountain was part of my 20-mile day hike from Grayson Highlands to Scales and Whitetop.

Monday, August 09, 2010

We actually started in Damascus Virginia hiking to Mt. Rogers via the AT. It was a very strenous hike with amazing views. The day we climbed Mt. Rogers visibility was down to 20 yards so we struggled finding the shelter which became crowded by the end of the night. Woke up the next day to sunshine and wild ponies roaming the bald. After B-fast we climbed to the summit and then back to the road where we had our first hitch-hiking experience to get back to Damascus and our Car.