Learn more

Mount Pleasant Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Vesuvius, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 6.3 mi Elevation gain 1,322 ft Route type Loop

Photos (289)
Recordings (161)
Completed (488)
Micah Webster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
Hiking

Great hike!! Good climb through wooded trail to two great overlooks.

View Micah's Recording
Eve Merg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Eve's Recording
Erin Clement
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
BackpackingBugsRocky

We had a big group of newer backpackers, not from this area, complete this as an overnighter. We went clockwise and didn’t come across any water all the way up. The side trail with the “water” sign ended at a small mud puddle, not suitable for filtering. We had to follow the creek bed down about a mile to find any flowing water. The trek back down to get water for the group was exhausting and not what we had been expecting. We completed the loop the next day and found that the water was all on the other side! There were some bugs, but no ticks and the trail was rocky. Overall we had a great time, enjoyed the incredible views and made some amazing memories.

View Erin's Recording
laekin hostetter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingRocky
View laekin's Recording
Blake Blunkall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
Backpacking

Took my 6 year old son on his first overnight backpacking trip 7/18-7/19. The road in was fairly manageable, although I drive a Tacoma - either way, has no issues getting to the trailhead. Weather was mid 80s and sunny. We went clockwise and was moderate going with a 6 year old with a pack. Made the summit around 1:30. We hammock camped on the east summit in the mountain laurel. Was a great campsite. There were plenty of bugs, but we had plenty of bug spray, so we were good. Had a deer come into camp and by into camp I mean about 10 yards from my son. Never really spooked. Came back about 20 minutes later. Had a wonderful sunset as well as sunrise the next morning. We left right after sunrise and finished our clockwise loop. Was a great trip for a first backpacking experience for my son. We’ll be back!

Lisa Wiertel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike yesterday. The road is not bad at all. I got my 2WD vehicle up there no problem.

Riley Ambrose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

The road is not that bad. Some places only can fit one car through so you may have to coordinate if traffic is going both ways. My Toyota Highlander was able to clear easily. We got an early start and had great views at the overlooks. We combined this with Cole Mountain to do a 12 mile loop. Lots of water and plenty of camping if you are looking to do an overnight.

Jamison Gugino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
Hiking

Great loop hike. East side more difficult than west side. In the middle, there is a 0.5 mile trail to two overlooks, East and West.

chan tastic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

Completely GORGEOUS. The weather in this area is so nice. I hiked this trail on 7/5/20 with the local weather in the 90s. The weather in this area was much, much cooler and there was plenty of water. Parking at the very end of the road near the kiosk..I hiked uphill, looped back around to the parking area, and took the hotel trail to hook up with the AT. If you take this route the elevation is not difficult. Going the other way will give you more elevation gain. If you are looking for a camp site that is memorable, you've found it. There are several superb spots, the best of which is located up cold mountain in an open area. There's even a perfect tree for hanging your bear bag. You will be surrounded by mountain vistas, and beautiful ferns in the spring and summer. I had no issues with ticks and didn't see any snakes, but I'd be careful. The trail itself is pretty even, not technical at all. I also didn't find the road to be very difficult, but I do have a high clearance AWD.

Michelle Stauffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

LOVED this hike! Many places to camp at the summit which we loved! Could see the sunset on the west overlook and the sunrise on the east over look. This was our first backing trip and we definitely enjoyed the scenery and ease of water. Combined this with cole mountain loop and start/stop from bald knobb mountain. This hike will not disappoint!

David Rolston
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Had to leave our car 1.3 miles away from the trailhead due to the road being too bumpy to where our Lexus wouldn’t clear. It was an incredible hike to say the least. Not too difficult but just enjoy to make you sweat and get the heart pumping. Only saw maybe 15 people the entire hike. Would definitely recommend!

View David's Recording
Anne Shoemaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 8, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful woods with ferns growing under scrubby trees. The view from the top is beautiful from both summits. The East Summit is a little more open and accessible. We walked clockwise to get the three peaks out of the way.

View Anne's Recording
Leigh Penner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
Backpacking

I wanted to thank everyone for their reviews especially Matt Grahovac. We set out to hike/backpack this with Cole Mtn but couldn't find definitive information regarding whether they were both open and if water streams would be avail on both mountains (they were). These reviews helped tremendously and allowed us to take our dog (which would have been difficult without streams to purify extra water). We carried a bunch of water but the streams were definitely helpful and being able to refill at the parking lot after the first loop was great too! We did both loops. First - Mt. Pleasant clockwise with day packs then got our backpacks out of the car and walked the mile or so to the campsite on Cole Mtn (which is stunning!!). We hiked the rest of Cole Mtn the next day clockwise ending with the saddle (cool air and breathtaking views). The short easy descent was nice after two days. It was the first backpacking trip as a family of four (two teenage girls and a very hairy dog) and it was perfect. Be prepared for ticks (found on two of us) and we did see a big bear at a distance. Thank you all!

Mack Meller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

Excellent hike with great views at the top. Make sure to check out both overlooks - I thought the view from the one on the right was a bit nicer but it's absolutely worth going to both. I ended up doing the right-hand side of the loop both ways as an out and back since it's shorter and easier and I was pressed for time but I'm sure the loop is quite nice too. The only "difficult" part of this hike, as many others are alluding to, is getting to the trailhead. I made it in a low-clearance vehicle (Subaru Impreza) but you have to go REALLY slowly and constantly watch for huge potholes and rocks just waiting to wreak havoc upon your tires.

Kamal Sohal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

Great, easy trail with stunning views. It was great to escape after the most recent covid lockdowns. There was a lot of fog when I went out but still many great things to see. Highly recommend

Matt Grahovac
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 23, 2020
Backpacking

I completed this as part of an overnight backpacking trip doing both the Mount Pleasant Loop and the Cole Mountain loop. This is a fairly easy hike. I would recommend doing this clockwise, which allows for a gradual easy finish, otherwise you will have to pass over two more peaks after the Mount Pleasant summit. There were plenty of streams along the way which allow for you to fill up on water, and there is a side trail right before the summit spur trail which leads directly to a nice spring. The Summit was beautiful. Sweeping views for miles, and there is both an east and west summit which allows for some very minor rock scrambling. There is also a lot of space near the summit for camping and some nice fire rings. If you are going to do both loops, I would suggest completing Mount Pleasant first, so you can end the trip with hiking over the balds on Cole Mountain, which is by far the highlight of both trails. Warning: The access road leading to this trail is awful, it has many ruts and holes. If you do not have a high-clearance vehicle take it slow.

Lola K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 21, 2020
Hiking

We live locally and see this mountain out of our window, one of the prettiest mountains in the area. This has become a new favorite hike- both views at the top are fabulous! Two weeks ago (5-4-20 and 5-7-20) I did it twice in one week with different family members, and plan to go again next week with more family members. Starting from the trail on the right, and going counterclockwise gave us the easiest mountain climb we’ve had, with such rewarding views at the top. Going that direction, you pass over many little springs and creeks that are very picturesque. The vegetation as you get closer to the summit is almost other worldly. Be prepared at the top with the right clothing because it is very windy due to the geology. On the Eastern summit, you see sprawling views and on the Western summit, you view Cole Mountain, amongst others, and a sea of trees. The way back down the mountain is the most “up” we’ve gone “down a mountain”. You pass over 2 more peeks, but with the steep terrain coming down the other side of those peeks, I was still glad I didn’t come up them. The road to the hike is full of wash boarding, ruts, and rocks, but we made it fine in a 4x4 truck, although I saw several regular cars in the parking lot. There are two parking lots- the first one you see is for Cole Mountain (also a great hike), and the second one is for Mt. Pleasant and Cole Mountain. Happy hiking!

Peter Jennison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 19, 2020
Hiking

Does anyone know if we can park near the trail head somewhere? Coming down from DC on Saturday early. Thanks!

Sven Philipsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 28, 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike. Definitely recommend going clockwise (starting at the left hand trailhead) to get an arduous initial climb and then a gentle cool down descent. Had to take it slow on the way in because the access road to the trailhead isn’t state maintained and is pretty rutted. Great views at the top, and the trail would be even more enjoyable once there’s more vegetation beyond mostly mountain laurel.

Zach Ammerman
Hiking

Is the trailhead still open?

Anne-Chanel Renald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful view! Easy hike especially if start on the right side of the loop

View Anne-Chanel's Recording
Alan Good
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 19, 2020
Hiking

Do this one clockwise to get a lot of the elevation gain done early - then you can enjoy a leisurely stroll at the end when the legs get weary. Not too difficult overall and great views at the two different lookouts!

View Alan's Recording
Elyssa Ezmirly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 15, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

We loved it! Hadn’t anticipated hiking through snow in mid-April, but the trail was pretty clearly marked. Views are amazing!!!

View Elyssa's Recording
Brian MacDougall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2020
Hiking

This was an excellent trail with spectacular views at the top that rival some of the best I’ve seen in this area. Highly recommend.

Dave Shenton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 13, 2020
Hiking

It’s a good enough trail. But right next door is Cole Mountain, which is much better. 6 miles. We took the right horse gate and looped to come back through the left horse gate. Second mile is the steepest. Summit camping available for 3 tents. It is a hike from there to the water though.

Michael Kramer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 12, 2020

I've been hiking in Virginia for over two years and this is my best hike yet. amazing views, the pictures do not do it justice. I would recommend doing the hike clockwise. Take your time and enjoy the woods & views at the top.