Mount Pleasant Trail

Mount Pleasant Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Vesuvius, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We did this trail on accident, intending to do Cole Mountain but weren’t disappointed. There is a steady incline towards the end which can get challenging but nothing too hard. We are only able to see the east overlook when we reached the summit because a rude family was taking up the entire west overlook and wouldn’t clear the entrance for us to go up and see. We went on a Saturday at 11 am and only passed them and 1 other group.

*note, it says this trail features a river but we never saw or passed that.

I love this trail, depending on the time of year, the path is lined with rodadendra, mountain lorel and blueberries.

Went on a Monday in early June and didn’t see a single person. It was amazing. My girlfriend and I took the reverse route, clockwise around the loop which I would recommend as it gets a longer harder hike out of the way first.

Incredible pink/purple flowers in full bloom at certain points and so much incredible green everywhere.

The hike is very enjoyable, the perfect mix of leisurely strolling and some moderate climbs. Took us about 1hr45 to get to the summit and 1hr10 to get back to the car.

Both summits have amazing views but the west facing summit is something special. The rocks look great and it’s almost as if there’s a man made flat rock there just for people to sit and have lunch. One of the most enjoyable hikes I’ve done in this area.

The gravel track leading to the trailhead is kinda rough so be prepared to drive very slow for a few miles if you have a normal car.

Also, I have read a lot about a fire affecting the blaze markers - this has clearly since been rectified as I felt the trail was incredibly maintained. Almost too easy!

I will def be back and want to try and do it overnight!

This was such a nice treat to hike! We decided Sunday morning to go hiking, found this one and couldn’t resist the views. Despite a large number of cars at the first parking area (passed “no motorized vehicles” sign), we continued down the road to a more secluded area (recommend SUV or truck, etc) where we parked. From there we decided to take the clockwise loop. We only passed 3 groups our whole time—also had overlooks to ourselves. We took our too dogs with us and they enjoyed it as much as we did! Highly recommend as a day trip or overnight.

Such a beautiful quiet trail. This is where I solo hiked for the first time and it is a hike I will never forget and find myself visiting at least once a year!

My all-time favorite hike in Virginia

Hiked the Old Hotel Trail in November after the leaf drop. Completely different than when everything is in bloom. Both times are a great time to hike it. Moderate 6 mile hike with great views all along the way. Windy at the top. One of our favorite hikes. We keep coming back.

Nice hike.when my dog and I did it we only saw one other backpacker with his daughters. Their very first backpacking hike. We went counterclockwise since they were heading in clockwise. Beautiful hike my setter was pointing unknown critters most of the way. Not a lot of water so pack in plenty. Beautiful views this was done mid October. Will go back with less foliage,

Great trail and will be doing again. I did the trail clockwise and will do it the same way again. Puts you at the summit just past halfway. My trail recorded this trail at 5.2 miles but I noticed it did not record the summits. that adds another mile to the total distance.

I absolutely love going to Mount pleasant! I've done the hike twice now! the second time seemed much harder but I think that's because the trail was much more overgrown than the previous. no matter how difficult, THIS HIKE IS WORTH IT! literally the BEST views in VA! Very Rocky, so be prepared for that

Chose this as my girlfriends first overnight backpacking trip. Perfect distance and difficulty for someone right off the couch. Views were great on the east summit, picturesque camping site on west summit. We chose to go counter clockwise. Make a figure 8 loop with Cole/Cold Mountain trail for a great multi night outing.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great hike! The trail was well marked and well kept. The woods were beautiful and so was the summit. I definitely recommend it.

Monday, May 29, 2017

so beautiful!! even in the rain and fog. we clocked more than 6 miles. added an additional 1 to the east summit and back, so over 7 in total. The trail is very well marked...except for one spot where the fallen trees made it confusing. look forward to coming back!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Awesome views-both East and West overlooks!

Monday, February 20, 2017

First off when traveling down the gravel road to the trail you'll see a bunch of cars parked on the side of the road. Ignore this and continue to follow the signs for the trail until you reach the designated parking lot. Trust me, you won't want to walk that extra by when you're done with the hike. The trail is a loop and we took the right-hand path to start. It starts out very easy and overall pleasant (see what I did there).

We sadly did not do the entire loop the way we planned. Because the area apparently had a prescribed burn recently there were some areas where it was difficult to distinguish the trail from the rest of the forest. We got totally off track and ended up cutting across the loop and having to double back - see my recording for further clarification. My advice is to watch for the blue trail markers on three trees along the path.

This is a pretty popular trail and we saw multiple groups on our hike. At the summit there were probably ten other groups at the overlook which was slightly annoying. There's two look outs - east and west. For the west you'll have to climb some boulders to get to the real view. Make sure you do this! It's so worth it. The east lookout is a little easier to access but also has a gorgeous view. Overall the hike was a good one, and I'll definitely return in the future!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Exhilarating!!!

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Great hike

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Stunning views!! I had the summit fully to myself and seldom encountered other hikers which was both amazing (it's a beautiful day! The world should be hiking!) and glorious. A few backpackers and day hikers, but overall pretty quiet. And the summit-- wow! The west overlook has great rocks to enjoy the view, but I preferred the east overlook and it's 360 panorama.

A few logistics for those who may encounter the same questions I had:
-- several cars are parked at the trailhead for the AT; keep going to the parking lot, which has both ends of the trail's loop.
-- the trail is now called the Henry Lanum Memorial trail; the Mt Pleasant trail is solely for the .5mi trail to the summit, which juts off the main loop.
-- the full loop is 7.3mi (including the one mile steep up and back for the summit trail)
-- Enjoy!!

Friday, October 28, 2016

Solid loop with good views. If you park in the first lot you come to on the gravel road, you will hike the trail counter-clockwise, which means that you will get the great views from the summit meadows sooner rather than later (which is how my group hiked it).

I'd recommend continuing to the second, larger parking area and hiking clockwise so that the best part is closer to the end of your hike. Views from the clearings at the summit are really awesome and are very unique among Appalachian hikes I've been on as there is practically 360 degree visibility.

Friday, August 19, 2016

The most peaceful hike I've ever been on. Didn't see one single other person the whole time. And the view at the end on the west side on top of the rocks was very rewarding.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Great view on both the East and West summit. Did a sunset hike here but I would recommend a sunrise hike so that the sun falls on the front side of most of the mountain view.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

The view is amazing. in the winter the trail markers are easy to miss, just keep and eye out. Moderate hike

Friday, April 01, 2016

Great hike. This is actually mislabeled - Mount Pleasant is a trail to the east of this one. This trail is actually Cole Mountain on the AT, then you get off the AT and take the Old Hotel Trail to compete the loop.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

This is a pretty easy hike and the woods are nice, but the views are to kill for. Off of the western overlook I saw some of the best views I had ever experienced. Well worth the time.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Solid hike that is not too difficult or too long. Not a ton of great views until you arrive at the summit. There are two different point to choose from at the summit. Both are great but the west peak is a bit better

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Excellent location for a couple of 5 miles loops, with the climbs as easy or hard as you care to make them. Also a great area to get in some backcountry camping without ever being very far from your car.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Outstanding hike. Spectacular views on both the east and west summits. Not a terribly hard hike. Well marked and worth the effort.

Sunday, September 01, 2013

The last half mile or so of the road to the parking area isn't paved. Lots of loose gravel and bigger rocks in the road. NB.

Trail starts off pretty flat but evevuanlly there's a steady incline. Moderate and not too difficult.
Once at the top you can view either East or West summits. Clouds were rolling in on the day I hiked so there wasn't much of a view....but seeing the clouds actually roll in was pretty cool.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Great views from Mt. Pleasant! Did this hike with my two daughters, 12 & 10, they both loved it. The top is somewhat strenuous. The Henry Lanum trail could be better marked, especially when leaving the fire service road. You pass by some great Rhododendron that fill the path. Total time out and back with nice 45 minutes at summit for us was 5 hours. We did not go over Pompey. Here is the view from the top: http://goo.gl/7TN7W