Molly Mitchell to Paint Horse Trail Loop

Molly Mitchell to Paint Horse Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesapeake, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike to do after work and to enjoy the peace and quiet. The trail does get very muddy when it has rained recently. Recommend you check yourself for ticks afterwards.

Walked this trail after doing Otter Point Trail. Very easy and had it mostly to myself. Lots of places to stop if you want a rest of just soak up Nature.

loved it, even I the rain. a few low spots that wasn't good for running

Saturday, December 03, 2016

The west side loop seemed to be a little lower elevation and therefore a little more muddy, while the east side loop was high and dry.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This well maintained system of short trails link together to provide an excellent hike suitable for families. The park hosts three primary hiking trails including Indian Creek, Molly Mitchell, and Otter Point. Each is well marked with color blazes every 100 yards or so. Rain the day before made condition muddy in places but fully passable. One note, this park runs along several creek beds and through wetland areas, bug spray is a must regardless of the time of day.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

One of my favorite parks in the area. I have hiked every trail in it.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

I really enjoyed this trail. The two main trails are like jeep roads. I much prefer to hike on hiking trails.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

This is a nice park with trails for hiking, biking, canoeing, and horses. I liked what Craig said about a nice trail for people looking to get out in the woods and exercise. I did this trail nearly two years ago, took a couple pictures and forgot to review it.

Monday, March 30, 2015

A city park that feels more like a small state park. Lots to do here including camping, paddling, and even a putt-putt course. I've hiked this 4.6 mile loop many times. It will get very muddy following rains so make sure it's been dry for a few days or you might loose a hiking boot. Some of the trails are horse trails so be on the lookout for horseshoe blazes. I've spotted more deer here than any other park in the region. It's rare to actually spot the otter at the lookout but when you do it's amazing.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

I have lived in Chesapeake for ten years and visited this park many times to relax. I have never did the trails. I did the Molly Mitchell Trail today followed by the Otter Point. The MM Trail was nice, well marked, and very easy. It was a little wet from the previous rain so there were many spots I had to circumnavigate. Overall a nice trail for people like me looking to get out in the woods to exercise.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

took my kids there, over the summer. it was great. the trails weren't too tough for us, there was tons to see, and overall, it's a great place! can't wait to get back there.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

The Molly Mitchell trail is so beautiful and a bit challenging should someone run it, because there is a lot of swampy land and roots. It was bone dry when I was there, and I was hiking, so it was just a pleasant walk in the woods. The only downfall is the toll road to/from anywhere else in VA.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Cute little park. It was completely desolate when I went on a Friday evening. I ran the Molly Mitchell trail and the adjoining access road, which wasn't too bad. It was scenic, mostly, but there a lot of roots on the trail which actually do provide a nice little challenge.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I do not think we covered the entire horse trail system but what we did was nice hiking trails. We never did see any horses.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

We just spent a couple days hiking the park trails. It is a beautiful park with a friendly staff. All of the trails are easy and a couple are too easy. Chesapeake has a lot of nice parks but this is the crown jewel.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

I did not have a horse so I hiked most of them. I never did see a horse but there was a lot of beautiful forest.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

It is a beautiful park with a lake, rivers, and trails for horses, hiking, canoeing and biking. I have hiked every bit of it and love it.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hiked the Molly Mitchell trail yesterday. Beautiful trail and no bugs, but extremely muddy. Both my daughter and the dog needed baths when we got home. Not many people out hiking though so it was nice and peaceful.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Nice park though a distance if you're getting there from Northern Chesapeake or other cities in Hampton Roads for a day... and the facilities/activities available are probably the best in the city... You can do about 8 miles without repeating trails, but I did a 15 mile hike doubling the woodland ones twice and one 3 times... just do them from the other direction to make it interesting... And if you're a Geocacher? ...even more interesting. Definently plan for some mud after any rain...

Friday, April 13, 2012

Hiked this trail after the rain had stopped for a few days, however the Molly Mitchell Trail was still fairly washed out. Trail was still fairly well marked and not crowded, so it was a nice escape from First Landing. Just be aware the hard-pack trails can be muddy and you'll have to go around in several spots. Dog friendly, though he definitely required a wash afterwards!

Camping / activity areas seemed very nice. Boat rentals and a quite river to paddle up.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

There are about three or four trails within this Park. I walked the Molly Mitchell trail, of which the first 1/8 mile is wider and smoother for handicap access. The rest was basic trail through the woods. If you go after a rain, bring boots as it gets rather muddy in places.

Sunday, March 26, 2017