Molly Mitchell, Otter Point and Indian Creek Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(80)
Northwest River Park

Molly Mitchell, Otter Point and Indian Creek Loop is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chesapeake, Virginia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 6 feet Route Type: Loop

Lots of low muddy areas even after 2 dry days.

One huge mud hole

flooded

bridge out

Really muddy and washed out, but I chose to come during the rain. A lot more difficult to navigate with so many areas washed out, but still a good time. The trails really come alive with more color this time of the year when it rains.

Trails were muddy sure to recent rain, but this is a good trail to run.

It’s just a little muddy this season (January) but hiking shoes would cover the walk :)

Easy to follow very buggy

A walk in the woods. Not used much and not well maintained, several bridges unusable. some pretty muddy spots, and due to unuse trail sometimes hard to follow. alltrails map has you follow the horse trail on part of it, which I didn't do.

Tue May 14 2019

This was a great, easy trail! There was a lot of mud, but it’s been raining so I expected that. The only problem I had on the trail was that there were a few spots that weren’t marked as well. At those times I had to look really hard to make sure I was going in the right direction. Other than that, great trail! I will be back!

Wed Aug 29 2018

DNF: The mosquitoes were so thick that we had to turn back. We will try again when it gets colder.

Thu Jul 26 2018

Love this easy trail walk. So pretty. This last time we had a deer run right by us. Always see some kind of wildlife.

Thu Jun 07 2018

Great hike to do after work and to enjoy the peace and quiet. The trail does get very muddy when it has rained recently. Recommend you check yourself for ticks afterwards.

Sun May 06 2018

Walked this trail after doing Otter Point Trail. Very easy and had it mostly to myself. Lots of places to stop if you want a rest of just soak up Nature.

Sat Jul 15 2017

loved it, even I the rain. a few low spots that wasn't good for running

Sun Apr 24 2016

This well maintained system of short trails link together to provide an excellent hike suitable for families. The park hosts three primary hiking trails including Indian Creek, Molly Mitchell, and Otter Point. Each is well marked with color blazes every 100 yards or so. Rain the day before made condition muddy in places but fully passable. One note, this park runs along several creek beds and through wetland areas, bug spray is a must regardless of the time of day.

Tue Dec 01 2015

One of my favorite parks in the area. I have hiked every trail in it.

Tue Dec 01 2015

This is a nice park with trails for hiking, biking, canoeing, and horses. I liked what Craig said about a nice trail for people looking to get out in the woods and exercise. I did this trail nearly two years ago, took a couple pictures and forgot to review it.

Mon Mar 30 2015

A city park that feels more like a small state park. Lots to do here including camping, paddling, and even a putt-putt course. I've hiked this 4.6 mile loop many times. It will get very muddy following rains so make sure it's been dry for a few days or you might loose a hiking boot. Some of the trails are horse trails so be on the lookout for horseshoe blazes. I've spotted more deer here than any other park in the region. It's rare to actually spot the otter at the lookout but when you do it's amazing.

Sun Jan 05 2014

I have lived in Chesapeake for ten years and visited this park many times to relax. I have never did the trails. I did the Molly Mitchell Trail today followed by the Otter Point. The MM Trail was nice, well marked, and very easy. It was a little wet from the previous rain so there were many spots I had to circumnavigate. Overall a nice trail for people like me looking to get out in the woods to exercise.

Sat Nov 16 2013

took my kids there, over the summer. it was great. the trails weren't too tough for us, there was tons to see, and overall, it's a great place! can't wait to get back there.

Wed Oct 09 2013

The Molly Mitchell trail is so beautiful and a bit challenging should someone run it, because there is a lot of swampy land and roots. It was bone dry when I was there, and I was hiking, so it was just a pleasant walk in the woods. The only downfall is the toll road to/from anywhere else in VA.

Sat Sep 07 2013

Cute little park. It was completely desolate when I went on a Friday evening. I ran the Molly Mitchell trail and the adjoining access road, which wasn't too bad. It was scenic, mostly, but there a lot of roots on the trail which actually do provide a nice little challenge.

Wed Jul 10 2013

I do not think we covered the entire horse trail system but what we did was nice hiking trails. We never did see any horses.