Mathews Arm Overall Run Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(79)
Shenandoah National Park

Mathews Arm Overall Run Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rileyville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,408 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Many trailheads in this park are closed due to COVID-19. Please check the park website for up to date info on which trails are accessible. Two waterfalls, strenuous decent and accent, swimming hole The trails in the Mathews Arm - Overall Run area are, for the most part, horse/foot trails that were farm roads in pre-Park days. The circuit goes past two waterfalls which are spectacular after heavy rain, or when frozen in the winter. This hike will give you a good workout. You descend a long way down into the valley, and then, of course, back up again. At times the trail is "in" Overal Run, and leads to a great swimming hole near the bottom.

Overall this was a great trail. However when they say hard they aren’t kidding. We did it the opposite way of the all trails. There are areas of very steep assent and descent which made it hard to enjoy the views. There is also large sections of rock fields which can be hard on the ankles. Multiple stream crossings, but most were doable, slipped on 1 rock and got a little wet. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. The views of the valley are beautiful. The waterfalls were amazing, seeing the frozen ice was really neat. Be prepared and this is a lovely hike.

The best views were a few miles into the hike. Be prepared to run into a lot of spider webs. Also, pay attention to the bee/wasp signs. They are out there and they will get you. On top of that, make sure to keep an eye out on the trail ahead. I startled a bear the was literally 25 feet in front of my path and it was mostly because I wasn’t paying attention. The vegetative growth, insects, and cobwebs were a real distraction.

(August 24) I crossed Weddlewood to Heiskel Hollow to Beecher Ridge, all horse trails. Someone complained about ticks and poison ivy; I wore long sleeves/pants and stuck to the trail - no problems. The path does get narrow at several points but is easy to follow, and blazes are frequent. Challenging rocky downhill for almost four miles; about mile 6 there's a series of swimming holes, just west of the Overall Run/Thompson Hollow marker. There I lost GPS signal but continued the ascent up Overall Run to Mathews Arm Trail and Road. THIS IS MORE THAN NINE MILES. Falls to campground should be 2.5 miles, my GPS said 6 mi to the swimming hole - I'm guessing 4 mi (uphill) between the hole and the falls. Sadly I can't prove it. but still great hike!

This trail is 9.2 miles long according to the park service, but I was not able to put that in when creating this circuit. This is my first review and its prompted by our experience with this trail. It has beautiful views to the Overall Run falls. We loved the descent down into the Shenandoah Valley and made the turn south onto the connector trail and looked forward to climbing back up tot he campground via the Beecher Ridge Trail. AN incredible swimming hole made a great lunch stop on the connector trail. Soon after we began climbing up the Beecher Ridge Trail, the trail began to be covered with poison ivy. The "trail" consisted of a weed wacked path through it. I had two kids and a dog with me and soon gave up trying to not get poison ivy on us. I figured we would just wash well at the campground. Along the way our dog disturbed a hornets nest earning us a handful of stings The icing on the cake was when upon our return to the campground we carefully took off our poison ivy covered clothes only to find out that we were crawling with seed ticks. I understand that the park service cannot maintain all trail in perfect condition, but there should be a place to leave a heads up so hikers can choose a different route. So beware, in the month of August, BEECHERS RIDGE TRAIL IS OVERGROWN WITH POISON IVY AND TICK NESTS. If I had known, I would have turned around from the swimming hole and returned via the Overall Run trail.

best weather in June for the trail, a lot of shade, the dog did well with fairly stony ground, the waterfalls were stunning just about the right amount of water, visit both waterfall , on the second the view into the valley is stunning.

Very nice views and well kept.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Nice hike!, great views! A great day hike for sure.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Great trail. We took our two dogs with us and they loved every second. It’s mostly shady and the views are awesome. Our dogs did great on the trails and had no issues.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Do not take your dog on this trail!!! It destroyed my dogs paw pads and she hasn't walked in days. She hikes every weekend and we have never had this problem before. Please don't make the same mistake I did!

Mon Jun 18 2018

View and falls were awesome. Swimming hole at the bottom of the trail looked potentially refreshing. After that, it was an ordinary walk up a hill. Recommend hiking the loop clockwise to leave the falls until the end of the hike

Sat Oct 21 2017

The overlooks were gorgeous and the view at the second waterfall was beautiful. The waterfalls themselves weren’t as impressive. The river that runs through the trail was almost dried up when we hiked in mid October.

Fri Aug 18 2017

The first few miles of this trail were delightful! Beautiful overlooks and views. Unfortunately, we chose a very hot day when the campground was shut down for repairs. The creeks were dried up and we hadn't brought enough water. We got turned around at mile 6 and the 9 mile hike turned into a 14 mile hike. All in all- better planning could have eased the way. A warning- miles 5-13 were 90% straight uphill! No switchbacks!

Fri Oct 28 2016

the scenery was awesome.

Sun May 08 2016

Last two weeks lots of rain makes this trail a challenging, I started this trail from US340. Rain stopped just few minutes ago to start my day therefore very wet and slippery, I did very big circle around 11 miles touched 4 different trails and cross the flood water 8 times and sometimes that's the hart part to cross the streams without wet. Falls is looks beautiful and amazing view from Overall Run trail. weddelwood and Beecher ridge trails or just exercise. Only I saw people on Overall Run trails. This one is hard because of weather and length.

Sat Aug 29 2015

I am a new hiker, so the uphill was hard on me but the waterfall was very pretty. It was worth the outing.

Sat Apr 12 2014

Nice hike about six miles roundtrip if you take Appalachian to Tuscarora. Easy going down tough coming back with my six year old.

Mon Nov 04 2013

I thought this trail was difficult because of the rocks everywhere, it was very difficult to not trip. It made the hike take extra long because of having to be so cautious the entire way. It was very nicely marked and doing it in the fall it was pretty. We forgot about daylight savings, so we were out there in the dark hiking. We didn't see any bears, but we did see some bald eagles fly over us. There was also so much bear poop on the trail, which was interesting. I don't think it was any more strenuous than other trails, it was really all the roots, rocks, and slippery leaves that made it difficult.

Fri Jul 05 2013

Nice trail, but it was our first day out, so we only made it to the top of the falls which is about 2.5 miles down. From the top you couldn't see much of the falls through the trees, but I'm sure it is beautiful if you could make it to the bottom of the falls. As others mentioned it is strenuous to go to the bottom, so if you only want to get to the top of the falls it is not much to see. I'm giving the hike to to the top a two star only.

Sun Mar 24 2013

Nice trail for a day trip. Difficult for beginners

Fri Jun 29 2012

Very strenuous as mentioned but awesome trail.

Thu May 31 2012

Look out for bears. Completed this trail on the last leg of a road trip to Tennessee. On a Tuesday morning the Mathews Arm campground and surrounding trails were all but empty. My friend and I took the Overall Run trail out to Big Falls (awesome views from the overlook). Spotted some turkey vultures who flew in close to check us out and see if we were food. On the way back to camp we were on Tuscacrora but a bear and cub lumbered across the trail not more than 10-15 yards in front of us. We quickly doubled back and took Mathews Arm to the top of the campground. Even with the imminent threat of nature consuming us, a great morning hike with spectacular views. Total trek time: about 3 hours.