Marys Rock via Appalachian Trail (North Approach)

Marys Rock via Appalachian Trail (North Approach) is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Excellent hike with steady ascent the whole way and excellent view from summit. Very rocky so be prepared and aware. Also saw black bears on this hike so beware of hiking alone!

Nice easy trail! Beautiful at the top!

Just moved to Virginia and wanted a nice first hike in the state, I’m used to doing longer, strenuous hikes in NC so I was worried about this being too easy since it’s a moderate trail. It was actually a great trail with just enough challenge, rocky and ice/snow in February but still beautiful. View is absolutely worth it, I bought a park pass so I can keep exploring this area.

My first time back to the Shenandoah’s in more than 20 years and the Mary’s Rock summit did not disappoint. Fun hike, and the view at the top was literally breathtaking. It was possibly a combination of beauty and the fact that the wind chill was -10, but breathtaking nonetheless. A hike my kids would love in the summer. Can’t wait to go back.

Loved this trail. Only went to the summit, so out and back was under four miles.

Overall, a really great hike in mid-October. The leaves make the descent a little slippery and uneven but as long as you are attentive it shouldn't be an issue.

great trail, I was there today for hike with my dog and we both enjoyed it. the leaves are making the trail a bit more slippery, it's very rocky so use good shoes. the views are beautiful!

Nice in/out hike. Obviously the first half is all uphill, but not too steep. The view from the top is awesome. On the day we hiked it, the clouds were down in the valleys and hollows so it made for some great views. It felt like we were looking out an airplane window.

The trail is really rocky, so wear good shoes, preferably hiking boots.

We got there early so not many people, but on the way back to the car at 11am, there was a non-stop flow of people headed up the trail.

This is a nice trail with some great views, especially from the top of Mary's Rock. The trail goes uphill about 1.8 miles from the Panorama parking lot to Mary's Rock. From there, we headed further south to the Bird's Nest Shelter before heading back to the parking lot. We did about 7 miles of the 9.6 mile out-and-back mapped out here.

Very scenic view at top, fairly easy in and out hike to the top.

It's a shaded trail so long distance hiking isn't too bad. Definitely wear shoes with good ankle support or coming back down would be challenging.

From Paranoma upper parking lot we went to Mary's Rock then Pinnacle area. Also stopped at the Mary's Rock tunnel.

There's a nice overlook at the top of Pinnacle and then it goes down to the picnic area. So if you don't want to hike more than 10 miles, turn back when you reach to the overlook area.

Great hike with wonderful views.

Pretty nice trail with some great views. Bumped into quite a few people along the way but it wasn't enough to make it feel crowded or ruin the overall peacefulness.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

This was a beautiful trail to hike. It is quite strenuous with the grade even more so when it is snow covered, but the views make it worth it!

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

great hike great views!

Monday, December 05, 2016

Hiked this from Pinnacle Picnic Grounds yesterday. Started at 8:30 AM and arrived at 10AM. We were the only ones there which was nice. Pretty easy on the way there. Little bit harder on the way back. Great views along the way. It was snowing on the top of the Pinnacles.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Nice hike, the beginning half is mostly upward so it can be difficult if you're not very active or in great shape. The actual overlook was kind of crowded so that took away from it a bit but luckily my girlfriend and I found a nice rock along the way that had a similar view and was solitary so we were able to enjoy it and take it all in.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

awesome hike

Monday, September 26, 2016

Such an amazing trail. Super easy to hike and views are just

Friday, September 23, 2016

I hit this trail this morning at sunrise and felt like I was the only person in the world—I certainly was the only person on the trail. Pretty easy hike with a rewarding view. Definitely a must do

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

My first Shenandoah hike and it was great! Hot and humid day but the canopy cover along the hike helped a ton. Great views from the top and definitely worth adding to the list.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

great trail. almost saw a bear....some lady said it was ahead but we missed it.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Beautiful view. Nicely kept trail, markers all in good condition.
This trail is dog friendly however I opted not to bring them on this hike as it was a hot day and as far as I could tell their were. O creeks along the way. Glad I did that there was only one tiny creek halfway up.
Also this trail is 3.7 miles not 3 that Alltrails says. So be aware. We expected to be at the top and it kept going! Overall very nice view. It was a great hike to take a friend of mine whom it was his first hike.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Wonderful hike where you're climbing upwards almost the entire time. We didn't get to take in the view, as a dense fog had covered the summit, but we're looking forward to hiking this again sometime.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Love Mary's rock. I don't consider it as difficult but rather moderate. Often see bears on this trail

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Great and simple out and back with great views at the top.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Fun hike during spring break. Great to be able to take our dog.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

This was a fun and very popular trail when we went yesterday. The view at the top was just breath taking.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Great trail that leads to a breathtaking view of the park (out of all the trails we went on, I definitely think this one offered the best scenic vista). A few things to note before you do this hike, though: NPS rated this as "moderate," but I would argue it better fits under the "moderately strenuous" (hard) rating - be ready for a workout on the ascent. It took us about ~50-55min to reach the summit, all of which was pretty much uphill. Definitely worth it, though. The trail was very well maintained - while it got rocky at parts, it's nothing that you can't manage. Wear hiking boots and bring water. Definitely will be revisiting this one in the future.