Marys Rock via Appalachian Trail (North Approach) is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Super steep, but our group of mostly-out-of shape hikers, 2 young kids, and dog made it no problem. The only issue was all of the acorns on the descent. 2 adults and both kids took pretty bad spills. I definitely would bring walking sticks next time.

This was a fun hike. Not sure why but I didn’t think it was too rocky as many of the reviews do mention. Great views on the way up and also at the top. Moderately steep which makes it not too difficult.

Very rocky moderate climb to the top. Views are stunning!
Make sure to go early or midweek to avoid most crowds.

Steep hike up to a great overlook. Fit people will fly up this thing. Average people will hurt a little but make it up fine. Unfit people can make it to the top, just take your time and take short breaks up against all the big nice boulders. Everyone can do this one, some with more effort.

I went super early, got in the park when it was still dark. Was on the trail right after sunrise... didn’t see another soul until I was halfway up and I passed this guy with trekking poles coming down (probably hiked from the other route). I got to the top and there was one young lady there who I chatted with for a bit. I stayed for a little while at the top alone even though it was cold and rain was on the way. A family with a young child about 10 got up to the top. When getting ready to leave I heard the boy say, “going back will be easy!” Well it is easier but not easy, take your time because all the rocks and downslope can lead to a twisted ankle very easily.

On the way down I ran into a few families and couples on their way up. So if you want to do the hike in solitude and have some time at the top by yourself go early!

Wonderful hike, we did take a wrong turn which made the hike longer but we really enjoyed a fantastic View at the top.

Nice rocky trail!

Moderate hike with pleasant panoramic views at the end. Trail was moderately trafficked, but not crowded. Elevation steepness and roots/rocks on trail make it a bit more challenging, but it should not be too challenging for anyone with hiking experience or a good fitness level.

Great short hike for a fall day (hiked 9/29) with good views. Not too many people on our Friday morning.

The view at the top is great and good for short hike. Not a 5-star though because we were aware of Skyline Drive for the first half of the hike. Trail traffic was moderate on a Wednesday.

A short but steady incline that takes you to some incredible views. This is a popular trail with a parking lot, bathrooms, and water at the bottom. Expect to see people, possibly quite a few if it's a weekend or holiday.

Nice trail. Very rocky path all the way up. I brought my three and a half year old son, and he completed the whole thing by himself (while holding my hand). Good trail for kids as long as they can hold onto you so they don't trip on one of the rocks.

Beautiful view - just stunning. This hike I would rate as a little more difficult than moderate- only because my 8yr old daughter had a tough time. So beware if you plan on bringing any children. Take your time and take breaks. Kids aside- rocky but well maintained trail. Most of your view is through the forest of course on the way up- you will pass an old home- chimney remnants. Really cool- once you reach around 3000ft there are views- beautiful once you've reached the rock. Worth it.

Not that hard of a hike with great scenery on the way up and a astonishing view at the top. Great for family’s though it will be hard for younger children.

Beautiful trail, with lots of scenery. Most of the trail was in the shade when we did it in the morning with the exception of the summit.

great views!

What a workout!! Rocky uphill climb. The view at the summit was beautiful. Well worth the sweat! Downhill on the way out is a relief, but rocky. Traffic was a bit high today..lots of people on the trail and at the summit. Be careful to follow the correct posts markings, one couple we ran into had walked down the wrong trail and had to climb back up to get back on the trail back. We all burned some serious calories today!! So much fun! FYI They charge $30 to enter national park by vehicle.

Amazing trail! Very rewarding with the views on the summit. Recommended.

Great hike. Be prepared for. Rocky path.

Great trail. We did this trail last month and only saw a few other people hiking it as well. Great views at the top. Added bonus was seeing a black bear on the trail near the parking lot.

Great trail - challenging but not overly steep and it’s relatively short. Dog loved it and was able to complete the rock scramble at the top. Beautiful views at the summit but also along the way. Decent tree coverage which helps in the summer - we began our hike at 11 am on a warm July day and the only part that was truly bad temp wise was the summit. Recommend this hike! Trail is pretty rocky (smaller rocks), so make sure to pay attention and keep your balance.

Well maintained and wide trail. It's not steep so doesn't feel like it has that much elevation. Short but really enjoyable view at the end.
I'm planning to try this again with kids on fall.

A very steep trek and extremely rocky. By no means is it an easy trail. I had two separate close encounters with black bears along this trail, but that can happen anywhere in Shenandoah.

Good trail great views

Beautiful views!

Great hike with a summit view :)

Great hike Saturday, also saw a momma bear with two Cubs just off trail. was a beautiful day.

A friend of mine recommended this short hike when I mentioned that we were going to Shenandoah. It's perfect if you only have half of an afternoon left and not enough time to do any longer hikes and the view from the rock is simply beautiful. Just bear in mind that if you want to make it to the very top of the rock, there is a little bit of scrambling involved. Even if you choose not to do that, the hike is still very much worth it, and you will get most of the views anyway. Definitely highly recommended!

Excellent hike with steady ascent the whole way and excellent view from summit. Very rocky so be prepared and aware. Also saw black bears on this hike so beware of hiking alone!

Nice easy trail! Beautiful at the top!

Just moved to Virginia and wanted a nice first hike in the state, I’m used to doing longer, strenuous hikes in NC so I was worried about this being too easy since it’s a moderate trail. It was actually a great trail with just enough challenge, rocky and ice/snow in February but still beautiful. View is absolutely worth it, I bought a park pass so I can keep exploring this area.