Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Lover's Leap Trail is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Duffield, Virginia that offers scenic views. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 167 feet Route Type: Loop

paved

historic site

Perfect short side hike to get some fresh air along your drive if you’re just passing through, and wonderful views!!

Good lil hike with mostly vast overlooking views of Natural Tunnel Good for kids, but some small dangerous cliffs, but fences to protect kids and animals. Fun! Great Views!

Quite simple mostly-asphalt walk to the overlooks of the tunnel from the far side of the rim.

Nice trail to a couple of beautiful overlooks from the top of the cliff above the Natural Tunnel. The steep dropoffs areas are made safe with guardrails and fences. The views from Lover's Leap are beautiful and the trail is not too difficult.

It’s a very easy trial.

The trail condition is ok, lots of loose steps. Beautiful when you find your way to the vistas. This is a beautiful place and the natural beauty is unsurpassed. This lover leap trail is short but it is steep and I would not consider it an easy trail.

2 trails here to see leap and natural tunnel. Both are pretty easy. I had 3 little ones with me and was no issue. Trail to tunnel is down hill going uphill coming back. Back up I broke a little sweat. Both worth seeing. Can do both in hour and half or faster if wanted to. There is a chair lift there going down if go while open. I will go back.

Well maintained trail with an amazing view of the rock wall leading down to the tunnel. Other than too much paved trail it is a pure gem. Family friendly, with several other beautiful trails. Awesome park.

Absolutely loved this trail. I remembered going as a field trip when I was younger, but going as an adult I can definitely appreciate the gorgeous views. There's benches along the trail that would be perfect for stopping and eating a snack if you wanted. There is a pretty sheer drop along the trail, but there is a chain link fence the entire way. No chance of falling unless you're being irresponsible.

Mon Jan 21 2019

A nice, relatively easy hike to a breath taking view. While it is along a sheer drop for most of the way, there is a chain link fence for the entire trail, even for the look out that is Lover's Leap.

Wed Oct 24 2018

Breath-taking views! I am not a fan of heights so I struggle with these types of hikes. We had our 3 boys (15, 7, and 6) and my mom-in-law who broke her pelvis a year ago with us. I loved the guard rails along the whole trail. Trail was well maintained and signage for this trail was clear.

Sat Oct 20 2018

Great trail with stunning views! I love going to Natural Tunnel and hiking all of the trails.

Thu Sep 06 2018

Beautiful!!

Wed Jul 18 2018

Pretty easy. beautiful beautiful beautiful views!!!!! lovers leap is an amazing story too. kid and dog friendly for sure.

Sat May 05 2018

My wife and I drove up from East Tennessee to see the natural tunnel and hike this trail. We started about 830 am and hiked from the parking lot down the trail to the natural cave. The trail was paved and the scenery was beautiful. We reached the natural cave and was awed by the size of the tunnel! Trains hauling coal actively transport through the cave. There are areas around the stone walls before the cave entrance that saltpeter was mined by Confederate soldiers. We then hiked back up to the parking lot and up Lovers Leap trail. Again the majority of the trail is paved. The lookout point at Lover’s Leap was breathtaking. Well worth the drive from East Tennessee.

Sat Jan 06 2018

Great hike for beginners. Beautiful views. And love the story before "lovers leap"

Sun Oct 15 2017

good way to tire out the dogs, and it was very pretty!

Sun Sep 17 2017

It was so pretty!! We loved it

Sun Jun 18 2017

love natural tunnel. have hiked, walked and swam there for years. nice camping area. we ha e our annual work picnic at the park.

Tue May 16 2017

Loved the scenery and the lore.

Mon Jan 23 2017

Beautiful views

Sat Jul 16 2016

Great views.

Tue Jun 14 2016

Easy trail pretty view the Natural Tunnel! Only thing missing were the lovers.

Thu Jul 09 2015

Me and my wife both liked this trail, it had story to it.geuss that's why I rated it 4/5

recorded Recording - Jan 26, 05:13 PM