Little Stony Man Loop via Appalachian Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

beach

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park in the Little Stony Man parking area located at mile 39.1.

Fun trail with beautiful views! I recommend getting to the summit just before sunset to view massanutten in it's blueish silhouette glory.

My Husband and did this hike yesterday. Though you can hike under a mile to the summit, we decided to do the loop. Which I’m glad we did...it allowed us to be away from people and to absorb nature. I’m happy I used AllTrails because the trail/tree markings weren’t the best and we went off the loop trail a few times. (Another adventure so we didn’t mind). The trail was rocky but it was a lot of fun. There are different lookouts in the the loop trail that were intimate and quiet. When we hiked to the first lookout (lower rock lookout) a bunch of people emerged from the opposite direction. They ran in front of us and started posing for pictures. The top rocky view (not summit) was the best lookout of the entire hike. It’s priceless and you won’t regret it. Very rocky though. The summit view wasn’t my favorite of this hike. The touristy “hikers” ruined some of natural components of the view by taking countless Instagram pics. Definitely a great hike, suggest hiking it week days to avoid rude people and to hike the loop to enjoy some downtime with nature.

Dogs are allowed on the AT and other trails but they are NOT allowed on the trail to stony man.... which makes this loop mediocre at best.

Great loop. Took two small dogs did awesome. Right parts of the trail were ok. Overlooks not too crowded in the morning before 10.

Beautiful views but it does live up to the name. Very rocky and in a few parts, a real PITA!

Summit is beautiful. Few summit locations if it is Not a hard hike, and very quick hike to summit.

Summits were beautiful!

We had a ranger do a guided tour on this - very knowledgeable and well worth the stops - there is a self guided tour pamphlet at big meadow lodge - free stop and get it. 2nd highest peak in Shenandoah

Well worth the switchbacks and climbs to get to the summit - spectacular views. Last bit at the summit is not dog friendly, so we took turns going out on the ridge. Horse trail was a little less rocky than AT or hiking trail. We just missed a mama bear and cubs, but saw another pair about 10 minutes before the parking lot. Keep your eyes open.

Great, dog friendly hike. Two spectacular views!

Nicely marked trail for the most part. If with dog you can’t go on one of the trails but there is another next to it you can take dogs. Can’t take them to the summit, though. Although, I saw I guy walking with a pet bird! Saw a couple bears on the way down, they are out there.

What a hike! I had avoided doing Stony Man because it was such a short hike and wasn’t sure it was worth the drive. But this hike has a lot of bang for its buck! The Passamaquoddy Trail is right along a ridge, offers nice views through the trees, and a natural spring. The views from the various Stony Man overlooks are absolutely wonderful! The AT section of the trail is one of my favorites in SNP. This is a great loop, and you can certainly turn it into a day with a nice picnic on one of the overlooks.

Started at the Little Stony Man parking area to the Stony Man Lookout and continued the loop via the Passamaquoddy Trail to get back to the parking lot.

Overall, nice little trail. Very rocky and uneven up to the lookout. Nice payoff view at Stony Man Lookout (there are better ones in Shenandoah NP like Old Rag) and a few other ones both before and after Stony Man. Lots of wildlife...from black bears to hundreds of millipedes. Nice scenery and not too challenging to see some nice views.

Some of the best views in VA! Short and relatively easy trail with endless viewpoints and overlooks.

Did this trail last Saturday, enjoyed it! My 9y.o. son could do it too, he's not very sporty though. The views were obstructed by clouds and this was an interesting experience to walk in the clouds :) It took us 3hrs with at least 3-4 stops. We saw a timber rattle snake and were glad it was sleeping :) Definitely can recommend this trail. Amazing hike!

Easier than I thought, not that bad of a hike

Great hike! Started at Little stony man parking area and it’s a pretty quick hike to the little stony man outlook. Then hiked down to the Stony man outlook which is the main attraction. For a longer hike I looped around the Passamaquoddy trail and it loops effortlessly back around to the little stony man parking area. Passamaquoddy is a narrow and rocky trail but so much fun!

A short but very rewarding trail! Wonderful view from the summit.... do not miss this one.

Nice trail for our kids (3 and 5) we got a thunder storm near the end. Walked in late May 2018, scenery was great, and we didn’t come across any other hikers (likely the poor weather).

Started off going NW down the horse trail to the southern end of the Passamaquoddy Trail, and then looped clockwise up to Stony Man and eventually down the horse trail back to the parking lot. Pretty hard rain for the last half mile or so but the views were well worth it!

It was a beautiful day although the humidity made the views less than optimal.

One of my favorite hikes ever!! Gorgeous views and all types of terrain

Some great views from the cliffs here. Majestic!

So many different vistas to view!!! Take the big loop to see them all!

My wife and I Loved the views! Only a handful of people on trail, mostly had to ourselves. Easy to follow, big loop like is shown here will show you all the cool views.

Great view! Hike was rocky but not difficult. Will definitely be going back once everything is green.

Loved doing this loop today! Was able to do the summit of both Stony Man and Little Stony Man in one go. Was a bit muddy and there were parts of the trail covered in ice so be mindful if you’re going during the colder months.

Gorgeous! If you are in this area and you do not check this site out, then you’ve missed out!

Great trail. Hiked two weeks ago with 4 inches of snow on the ground. Will hike again in the Spring.

Phenomenal view at summit. Kid-friendly trail with shallow gradient.