Little Schloss Trail

Little Schloss Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Woodstock, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,187 feet Route Type: Out & Back

There are seasonal closures in this area which may restrict access to roads leading to the trailhead. Please check with the GW National Forest if visiting during winter.

Did this one solo, on a Sunday in mid November. This trail is not manicured at all. But it was lovely and a great aerobic workout. Incline pretty much the whole way up. Took me about 1.5-2 hours, the scramble down from the top eating a few minutes. The views are spectacular. DO THE SCRAMBLE. I'm not experienced in this sort of thing, yet I did it alone and I was fine. It felt like a challenge but I was cautious and careful. I did go down in a different direction than I went up, and was disoriented for like 2 minutes. No wildlife except some deer scat. Lots of leaves so I relied on purple trail markers. Plenty of parking across from the trailhead which was nice. Had the whole trail to myself the entire way. Note: hiking boots with ankle support are necessary. And under no circumstances would I want to do this trail if conditions were wet.

This was a very solid moderate hike. The trail is a bit rocky and covered in leaves (November). I recommend sturdy hiking boots. The trail provides obstructed views along the way. To get the full view follow the purple blazes and eventually you will come to an unmarked section that leads to the rock scramble. The view from the top is A+.

Sturdy boots and trekking poles a definite plus on this very rocky and sometimes steep trail, especially the 70 ft. rock scramble near the summit, where you leave the poles behind. The scramble is not for the faint hearted, but rewards with gorgeous panoramic views all around. We had it to ourselves on a beautiful late October day with leaf color at its peak.

The views from the top are marvelous!!! Don't let earlier reviews fool you with "obstructed views." These previous hikers did not go all the way to the summit/top of the rock cropping. You can see for miles once up there in all directions. Here's a tip to get to the views...close to the top, the trail will come to a fork (not marked), At the fork go left and follow. You will come to a massive rock/boulder scramble.I did not see any trail markers so I just found my way across. Then once across, head up (again, no trail markers) Once at the top go through some brush to the view.

Nice trail,somewhat challenging at parts and the view isn’t so clear but still nice

Good hike to the top is rewarded with great views!

Go about 1.6 miles and make a left to reach the top. Be careful not to miss the turn, no signs. Not bad hike, but others are easier to drive to.

Wonderful hike with great views at the top. The trail head was easy to find marked with a sign/trail map. Plenty of parking on the fire road (based on other reviews they must have cleaned this up). The trail it’s self was well marked and maintained. The short section that leads to the rock scramble, maybe 100 yards, is not marked but fairly obvious where to go. I would go past where the map indicates the cut off is until you reach the ridge. Hang a left there and you avoid most of the “pricker” bushes. The rock scramble is short, but technical. Took me about 2 minutes to climb to the top. View to the west is big schlosh, northeast you get a good view of Strasburg and signal knob, east is Edinburg and SNP. Southwest I think you can see tibbet knob, but I’m not sure. The gate just inside the park entrance was closed, I assume due to recent snow. This turned the 3ish mile hike into 7.2 on a beautiful March day. 4hrs round trip including 30 minutes enjoying the view.

Great, short hike. Took us 90 minutes to the top of the mountain and back, walking briskly. Nice views of the valley. definitely steep inclines and lots of elevation, but the uphill part was about 45 minutes without stopping.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Followed the GPS directions and found a grown-over parking area but no trailhead. Bummer.

Fri Apr 20 2018

Did Little Sluice as a 13 mile circuit and overnight trip several years ago. Camped on the summit on a near freezing January weekend but the sunrise and sunset were fantastic. The views were probably better due to the trees being bare at that time of year. Definitely check out the rock scramble.

Sat Jan 28 2017

Great for pets.

Sun Sep 06 2015

Nice steady incline, over a thousand foot elevation gain in two miles, up Little Sluice Mountain. Spur trail off of Little Sluice Mountain trail not blazed and no marker present, so take unmarked trail on left at about 2 mile mark to reach summit. Short, but somewhat technical scramble up rocks to get up on top of "Little Schloss". The rocks are the attraction; actual peak is covered in trees, so going past rock outcrops is pointless. Great view of Big Schloss, to the west, and main valley of the Shenandoah and Edinburg to the east. I took my dog, and thinking he could not make it up the boulders and scree, I tied him to tree at bottom. After whining when I got out of site he pulled his collar off and was on top in seconds. I was very impressed as I don't think that most dogs would either attempt or be able to do this. Map at trail head does not show spur trail and is not very accurate, so best to have a map or app if doing it for the first time.

Thu Jun 19 2014

Have hiked Big Schloss in Fall, Spring and Summer. Great trail starting from the Wolf Gap camp ground on the ridge between Virginia and West Virginia. Fantastic, panoramic views both during the hike and also from the stunning rocks at the top. Very unique. Takes us usually 3 hours round trip - including time to sit and enjoy the view at the top.

Mon Apr 07 2014

Great hike. We did the complete High Road-Little Schloss-Big Schloss circuit. First 1.5 miles up is STRAIGHT up (no switchbacks) and tough. Great reward at the top. Great camping sites and lots of water.

Fri Nov 02 2018