Little Devils Stairs Trail

Little Devils Stairs Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,496 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very enjoyable hike. Trekking poles make this hike much more doable. Multiple small waterfalls and stream crossings. You must pay attention to the blue blazes or you will end up off trail. You won’t get lost, it’s easy to get back on trail. However, I had to stop a few times and search for blazes. Luckily, the blazes are spaced out well. Be sure to take the time to go inside the Bolen family cemetery off the service road heading back toward parking area.

Great workout! We took the trail both up and down not using the fire road. Took about 2 hr 20 mins for us to go up for us 50 year old with less time going down but we didn’t time that Hiking up leads to fire road—-no speculator vistas to view after reaching the end of trail—but still would recommend and plan to return on less chilly day (it was about 49 degrees by the time we finished at 12. Marked with blue blazes

We hiked the trail counter-clockwise and highly recommend going that way. Enjoyed following the trail back and forth over the water, definitely helps to break up the steep incline during the first couple miles of the hike.

We did this hike today. Here are my comments: -First of all this is a 6 mile trail not 5.3 miles. -Doing it anti-clockwise is smart. -First two miles are uphill and take about two hours with some breaks -last 4 miles is down hill and takes 1.5 hour. -Going uphill is hard and you feel like you are going up the stone stairs (hence the name). -love how trail stays around the stream while going up. -We are definitely do it again.

As others have said, go counterclockwise. Great little pump for 2 miles up the valley followed by nice easy 3.5 miles down a fire road. 2 hours 45 min at a nice average pace. Will Definitely do again.

recorded Recording - Nov 11, 05:04 PM

Here’s the pro-tip: do it counter-clockwise. Our Golden Retriever could handle the scramble off leash, but smaller dogs will struggle at times without your help. Trail is well blazed. Few tree blocking the path along the fire break. We parked by Hogwallow overlook and took Sugarloaf trail to the loop.

Amazing trail. Best we’ve done in a long time. Definitely more “difficult” than “moderate”. Followed other reviews suggestion to take the right hand entrance to the trail and hike up the stairs instead of down and now absolutely agree - couldn’t imagine hiking down that portion. Plus once you get to the top, the back half of the trail is a nice walk/cool down. Side note - took my two dogs (one medium, one small) and both did great! If your dog is at least a little athletic they will definitely enjoy!

My friends and I enjoyed this trail! It was peaceful walking alongside/over the mini waterfalls. We ate lunch on a rock about .25 mile after turning left onto the fire road (we went up the rock scrambly part first). This was the only clear view we had of the mountains, and a local who was hiking behind us recommended it. Thought I would pass along that gem! Other than that, the way down is similar to Old Rag’s descent into the fire road.

This was a great hike. Lots of blowdown along the fire road. We started from Keyser Run parking lot in the drive and took it down counterclockwise to the cemetery and then the lower lat to head up the stairs. I like this route. A walk in the would and then the climb up the stairs. This has become my new favorite rock scramble. It makes you think and it a great climb out.

Start north atthe keyser run parking lot and take the fire road southbound to little devil stairs. After the stairs you’d then find the fire road again, take that back to your vehicle. If you went the opposite way the downhill steepness would be too much. It’s actually longer than 5 miles, national parks says it 7.4 miles. My Apple Watch had me at about 9.50 miles once I got back to my vehicle

I agree with another review, definitely go uphill with the stairs. We did the trail in the opposite direction and ended up off-trail and basically sliding down the side of the mountain. There are ticks so bring repellent. Going down the stairs might be easier for those with poles and less arm strength as going up, you will have to pull yourself up through the lose rocks. It is a pretty steep incline. Overall this was a nice quiet path with a calming stream to keep us company. Would definitely do it again. Plenty of parking and easy directions.

Love this trail! I took my 50lb Shepherd mix who did well despite the sometimes challenging scrambles - this would definitely be a difficult trail for dogs who aren't athletic. As the other reviews say, the trail is easy after getting past the first two miles. We saw a bear soon after turning on Jinney Gray Road that was surprisingly close to the trail, but cool nonetheless. I'll definitely be hiking this one again!

Great trail. I actually accessed it from within the park, parking at Skyline Mile 19.4. I have a couple of notes / comments on what’s here in AllTrails: 1) Regardless of whether you access from the state road or from within the park, it is advisable to do the Little Devils Stairs Trail Portion going *uphill*. There are several scrambles that are going to be more enjoyable and also safer if you’re going uphill instead of down. If you park off of the state road, this will make it the first half of the loop; from within the park, the back half. 2) I could swear this trail used to be rated “hard” in AllTrails, and that’s the more appropriate rating. There’s nothing here that requires specialist gear, and it’s not especially long, but the scrambles are not going to be for everyone. When I’m on my PC, I’ll make that suggestion.

Entire second mile has a great rock scramble that I question is appropriate for dogs that are not athletic. If your dog cannot jump from rock to rock, I would not bring your furry friend. After the first two miles, the rest of the trail was a break from the burn in your calves from the rock scramble.

This trail is awesome. It’s shady, so it helps with the high temperatures. You’re hiking next to a creek/stream, and there are a lot of little ponds for the dogs to stop and cool off in. It’s definitely difficult during the ascension, but the views are totally worth it. I always take my friends to this trail when they say that they want to do something difficult