Little Devils Stairs Trail

Little Devils Stairs Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Washington, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,496 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fun! Saw two bears. Don’t start going up the fire road. That is what you come down on.

Love this trail. Did it in a light rain and had no issues. If you like spooky things there is a cool out of the way graveyard on the FR portion of the trail.

Nice climb; well marked; the way down is following the fire road.

Amazing hike crossing about 12 times before reaching the summit! I need it my own poles to aid the crossings!

Beautiful and fun hike that follows a stream up a gorge and passes a nice waterfall near the top. It took us 1.5 hrs up on a steady climb and 1.5 hours down on the fire road by the historic cemetery. Most of the time we were completely alone on the trail, on a Sunday in June in the Shenendoah, such a treat! It was hard to find the trailhead, our gps wasn’t getting a signal. Locals directed us up Gid Brown Hollow Rd to a left shortly past the white church on to Keyser Run Rd to the small parking lot. It is nice that although the trail is in Shenendoah Natl Park one can access the trail from the base without paying a fee to drive into the park.

Started around 930 AM and it was cool and shaded for most all of the hike. Short but good cardio. Trail wasn't crowded but parking overfull by time we finished.

We had a great time on this trail. It was surprisingly easier than expected.

The trial is excellent! Coming down the fire road is boring but at the same time its a good way to cool down after hiking up what's essentially a waterfall. I recommended and its not entirely hard.

Rocky on the way up and tough ascent but solid training hike.

Womderful trail that is challenging and rewarding

Took my fiancé and 35lb dog out on this trail. Pretty quiet by 11am arrival and didn’t see too many people. If you start on the right hand side of the parking lot, you’ll see that this trail is difficult. Those steps are definitely the devil! Once you get up the stairs and past the fourway, there is a beautiful overlook on your left. This is the one from the pictures! The trail is pretty flat beyond that. If you’re looking for a moderate trail, start to the left. Worth the climb!

Really fun trail. Make sure to leave from the righthand side of the parking area, to ensure you are hiking up the gorge rather than the fire road. Rocky and steep, with many river crossings. Wear shoes with good tread. Several options at the top to extend the hike if you are looking for longer than 5ish miles. The historic cemetery on the way down is awesome. The ascent up the gorge is tough, but my 76-year-old dad did it (and enjoyed it!) with a few brief breaks to catch his breath.

My dog and I enjoyed the hike up. Was fairly difficult on the way up. But really enjoyed crossing the stream multiple times and climbing the rocks. Once at the top the fire road all the way down was very easy but provided nice views.

Great ascent. Bring sturdy shoes and expect to get a little wet. The gorge you walk through is phenomenal. I like taking the quicker way down the fire road to stretch my legs a bit after the up hill.

Excellent hiking option - enjoyed every bit of it. Took us (my wife and I) about 3 hours (including a 20 minute break). As others have pointed out, start on the right off the parking lot and go up the trail, crossing the river at several points. Can be slippery - so proper hiking shoes and poles are very much recommended. Once at the top, the hike down the fire path is a relaxing one. This trail is supposed to be lightly traveled but we had lots of company including a van full of young hikers!

Great trail. Have done it in the summer as well as the winter. Beautiful all year round. Got to enjoy a mama bear and her 3 cubs in this route.

My dog and I very much enjoyed this trail with its streams crossings and waterfalls the whole way up. Once you get past the first part of the trail the rest is easy. Nice Mountain View’s on your way coming back down the fire road. You also pass an old graveyard which was unexpected.

This hike was fun. Very fun. The first half is pure elevation gains and crisscrossing over the creek/river flowing through. It was more of a puzzle than anything else. Make sure you wear hiking boots and woolsmart socks - and prepare for your feet to get wet! Hiking poles would’ve been helpful with crossing the river (you probably cross 10+ times) but a good ole walking stick worked fine too. Probably too difficult for little kids - I also wouldn’t recommend to less experienced hikers or anyone who’s not excited about the prospect of rock hopping over a waterfall. Our group loved it though!

Absolutely gorgeous! Definitely a tough climb with plenty of water crossings and rock scrambles. Well worth it though. Bring lots of water and some snacks. If you use poles, you will definitely want them for this hike. I don't typically use them but I borrowed a set from a friend. I was glad I did.