For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Little Devils Stairs Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.3 mi Elevation gain 1,496 ft Route type Loop

Photos (499)
Recordings (362)
Completed (871)
Kristi Simpson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

completed this one today. i parked in Keyser lot at mile21 inside the park and hiked the lariat/loop down the fire road and up little devil stairs. saw my 1st bear less the .25miles in and 3 total on the fire road (i started before 7am so i think i woke the 1 up) ran into a couple people once i turned to little devil stairs, but since the weather wasn’t great it wasn’t too busy. loved the trail, couple easy creek crossings, some cascading waterfalls and the stairs. one really steep part, but otherwise really fun trail. i’m going to do this one again in the fall and it isn’t so humid and i’ll add on the Sugarloaf loop to make it longer. just under 8 miles for me and about 3:30 hours

Sarah C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

The uphill portion was no joke, in terms of rock scrambles and stream crossings. Definitely need hiking boots, not sneakers, and personally I would not recommend for kids or pets. The fire road portion was a relatively easy stroll but the uphill Devils Stairs portion was strenuous and difficult. Beautiful and scenic but legitimately challenging. Went counterclockwise, which was a good choice because the incline is quite steep - I would have been scared to go in the other direction where you would be going downhill on the rocks and stream.

View Sarah's Recording
kevin barnard
HikingGreat!

Really enjoyable hike! We arrived at 7:15am and there was 4 cars in the parking lot (I’d say the parking lot can fit 10 cars). When we arrived back at 10:45, there was probably 30 cars lined up on the road out to 1/4 mile away. Really enjoyable, I absolutely agree with prior recommendations to do it counterclockwise, and fair to evaluate as a moderate hike for experienced hikers. If you aren’t used to hiking, this would probably border on difficult. Glad we did it!

View kevin's Recording
Andrew Sharrock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingScramble

What a trail! I combined this with the sugarloaf loop and it came out to about 12 miles and 2500 elevation. The initial ascent through little devils stairs was tough, but breathtaking. I would not recommend doing this trail in reverse, the fire trail is deceptively steep and going down the devil's stairs would be worse than going up. On the topic of the fire road... it's very monotonous, steep and boring, but the cemetery is a cool bonus, definitely go in and read Why are the Mountains Blue. Definitely on the harder side of moderate, and good ankle support and grip on boots are a MUST.

Roo Unruh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Nice little run with some light rock climbing and plenty of steam crossings, a bonus early 1900s cemetery and lots of canopy. It is a good trail for a bit day with plenty of share and light breezes.

View Roo's Recording
Carly Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Overall a very fun hike. The trail was well maintained, easy to follow, and very shaded from the sun. The only downside is there is only one view and it’s not the best. We hiked up to little hog back mountain on the fire road and that gave us a bit of a better view of the valley on the other side.

Nien Wu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingMuddy

We did the trail counter clockwise like several recommended. It’s the better route in my opinion. The first two miles are constant climb, crossing the river several times. Lots of little water falls, very scenic and fun. The blaze isn’t great, so we did get off track once, but found our way. I’d consider this part of the trail strenuous. It got foggy while we were on the trail, so not sure if there is a “view” through the trees near the top. We followed the fire road on the way down, this part is nice and wide, but a bit boring, thus the 3 star rating. There is an interesting cemetery on the way back, the “newest” gravestone we saw was from 1920s... did this with our 15 and 14 year old. The 15 year old said he would go back the same way we came up instead of taking the fire road.

View Nien's Recording
Julie Chickery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

We took the rock climb up and the fire trail down and definitely were glad we did. This loop is half uphill and half downhill. I personally considered the majority of the uphill to be strenuous.

View Julie's Recording
Kienan Willard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

‘It’s technical, but lots of fun.

View Kienan's Recording
Craig Pennington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

My eldest child, our lab-shepherd mix & I did this hike on a Sunday in mid-July. We got caught in a downpour about halfway up. Between the waterfalls and the heavy rain it felt a bit like being in a tropical forest. It was an absolutely wonderful adventure. If you bring your dog on this hike, I would recommend booties for paw protection. Trekking poles were useful for the stability in much of the climb, especially once the rain started and the rocks got slippery. Even though the eldest, the dog & I loved it, I probably wouldn't have started the climb if I had known it was going to rain. Check the blazes near the top, there is a false trail that goes past a stream crossing we missed (we back-tracked at the top when we realized, and the false trail is a harder ascent than the trail.)

Allison B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

You will be crawling up at some points. I would suggest going up the stairs as going down could be dangerous. This is not for dogs, kids, or older people, but it was fun.

Evan Bagley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

This is a very unique and fun trail! The steep ascent alongside the falls and river are challenging, but well worth it. Make sure to keep an eye on the blue trail blaze as it can be easy to lose. I 100% recommend ascending on the falls side of the loop as descending down that side could be dangerous as some parts are quite steep.

Emmy Cho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

What a great trail! Did it with our scout troop, so stopped a lot and took tons of photos, so took way longer than what I would expect otherwise. Markers were iffy in a couple spots, so had to backtrack a couple of times, but nothing too bad, esp if you have AllTrails premium and downloaded the maps (it was the first time I used it, and it saved us!). The scrambling was super fun, and spaced out really, really well, so you get some quick breaks on “normal” trails in between to catch your breath. The creek crossings were fun, and the cascades were very neat, and the sheer rock wall faces were stunning. The top is uneventful, but a great spot to eat a snack or lunch. The fire road isn’t as bad as some have said because there was a picturesque lookout, and the nature we saw along the way was phenomenal. The cemetery was definitely something to see, and I loved the old trees outside of it, too. We also saw tons of butterflies and all types of tiny flowers, and a very handsome rat snake, which the scouts were extra excited about! Overall, I really loved it, and especially after having just come back from a week of hiking in the Smokies, it was comparable to some of the hikes we did there, which was a pleasant surprise!

View Emmy's Recording
James Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

Second time on this trail, first with a gps tracking device. I guess different devices measure distance differently. Apple watch logged the whole route as 6.7 miles. Probably why the second half felt like it was never going to end (since I kept anticipating the route to be over for over a mile haha). Otherwise a great route both during winter (with snow on ground) and summer (lots of shade). Noticed there is some new erosion on the dirt trail towards the top of the steeper uphill section (before waterfall).

Brian Willis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
View Brian's Recording
William Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

LDS from 19.4 Mile Marker on Skyland Dr. One miles on fire road to split; blue marker allows you to go down the trail, still a challenge but much easier then going up. This is a beautiful hike mostly down the creek that sets inside a granite canyon. Once you arrive at the parking lot off Rt 211, the fire road is across the parking lot that will take you back to Skyland Dr parking lot in 3.5 miles. Fire road is steadily up hill, after 2 miles you will see the Dolan Family cemetery, very interesting stop. Read the blue head stone, a sad narrative of what the families that settled the blue ridge went through when the park was developed. Enjoy, the LDS trail is great, the fire road back is not much.

View William's Recording
Keith Schofield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

Great trail- little devil stairs is quite strenuous but a lot of fun - when nearing the top look out for the blue blazes - there are some false trails being formed Keyser run fire road is not as interesting but make sure to go into the cemetery at the bottom and read the poem - Why the mountains are blue!

Sung Park

***Do not go up the road from the parking area. This way is clockwise direction. Counter clockwise entrance is hidden behind parked cars where small marker is**** Do... - Go early, small parking area. - Use a bug spray. - Wear proper footwear. Do NOT... - Bring your dog. - Drive fast to the trail. You will..... - Enjoy first 2.6 miles. - Cross water way multiple times. - Climb and go over many large rocks. - See a waterfall at the top. - Hike for 6.1 miles for 2.75 hours. You will NOT..... - Enjoy 2nd half - 3.5 miles.

Jason P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble
View Jason's Recording
Gavin McNabb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
HikingIcyRockyScrambleSnow

I have hiked this trail three times now. The last was in the winter it was cold and windy along with a bit of rain. Great trail going up but if you take the loop down it can be a bit boring.