Little Devils Stairs Trail

Little Devils Stairs Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Washington, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful little trail. Lots of elevation to get the heart rate up. Peaceful little waterfalls and cascades.

Quite a workout. It’s effectively just cutting up through a gorge. It’s a lot of fun, and quite a bit of climbing over rocks. I️ did get to see a young bear cub, which made for excitement since I knew mama bear couldn’t be too far away. Didn’t have spectacular views, but still a lot of fun.

Very fun trail! The park says it should take 7-9 hours to complete but we were done in 3.5.

A bit disappointed. The first 2 miles are challenging but the remaining 4 miles are boring, just walking down the fire road. The view would definitely be better if the water level is decent. It hasn't rained for at least a month now.

This trail was fun but we took the long way back by taking piney tree trail instead of the fire road. It was about 10 miles all together and took us about 5.5 hours. Instead of turning left at the 4 point intersection you go straight. From there you keep turning left for a few times and then finally straight when you get to the cemetery at the fire road. It feels like never ending, we felt lost a couple of times but luckily they mark some trees to keep you on the right path. You will cross the stream a bunch of times just make sure you have a map, directions and Google maps. I had to compare the old school map with the GPS on my phone a few times to make sure we were going the right way. The last left turn we took we were going up hill so that confused us for a bit but once we saw the cemetery we knew we made it. Overall, challenging but fun. Also there isn't a overlook view at the top. Just a trail to enjoy nature, the butterflies that follow you and the waterfalls. It was worth the challenge and to be out hiking and getting lost in the woods. Best time to go is in the spring, we went in the fall and there wasn't much water in the streams. Bring plenty of water and snacks!!

Started at 9am and completed in 3 hours (going slow to take pics and enjoy the scenery). The first ~hour was fantastic, lots of rock scrambling, beautiful views, and no one else in sight. I then heard yelling and came across a couple who had been attacked by a swarm of wasps on the trail. I went off-trail to avoid the wasps which was challenging due to it being a steep slope with unsteady ground and covered in prickly plants (not recommended). They said there was another group ahead of them on the trail that didn't appear to have had any issues with the wasps. Shortly thereafter I reached the top of the stairs and started heading down the fire road. The road was pretty uneventful....boring except for the old family cemetery which was interesting to visit. The bugs kept swarming my head on the fire road so make sure you have bug spray.