Little Devils Stairs Trail

Little Devils Stairs Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Washington, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,496 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Rocky on the way up and tough ascent but solid training hike.

Womderful trail that is challenging and rewarding

Took my fiancé and 35lb dog out on this trail. Pretty quiet by 11am arrival and didn’t see too many people. If you start on the right hand side of the parking lot, you’ll see that this trail is difficult. Those steps are definitely the devil! Once you get up the stairs and past the fourway, there is a beautiful overlook on your left. This is the one from the pictures! The trail is pretty flat beyond that. If you’re looking for a moderate trail, start to the left. Worth the climb!

Really fun trail. Make sure to leave from the righthand side of the parking area, to ensure you are hiking up the gorge rather than the fire road. Rocky and steep, with many river crossings. Wear shoes with good tread. Several options at the top to extend the hike if you are looking for longer than 5ish miles. The historic cemetery on the way down is awesome. The ascent up the gorge is tough, but my 76-year-old dad did it (and enjoyed it!) with a few brief breaks to catch his breath.

My dog and I enjoyed the hike up. Was fairly difficult on the way up. But really enjoyed crossing the stream multiple times and climbing the rocks. Once at the top the fire road all the way down was very easy but provided nice views.

Great ascent. Bring sturdy shoes and expect to get a little wet. The gorge you walk through is phenomenal. I like taking the quicker way down the fire road to stretch my legs a bit after the up hill.

Excellent hiking option - enjoyed every bit of it. Took us (my wife and I) about 3 hours (including a 20 minute break). As others have pointed out, start on the right off the parking lot and go up the trail, crossing the river at several points. Can be slippery - so proper hiking shoes and poles are very much recommended. Once at the top, the hike down the fire path is a relaxing one. This trail is supposed to be lightly traveled but we had lots of company including a van full of young hikers!

Great trail. Have done it in the summer as well as the winter. Beautiful all year round. Got to enjoy a mama bear and her 3 cubs in this route.

My dog and I very much enjoyed this trail with its streams crossings and waterfalls the whole way up. Once you get past the first part of the trail the rest is easy. Nice Mountain View’s on your way coming back down the fire road. You also pass an old graveyard which was unexpected.

This hike was fun. Very fun. The first half is pure elevation gains and crisscrossing over the creek/river flowing through. It was more of a puzzle than anything else. Make sure you wear hiking boots and woolsmart socks - and prepare for your feet to get wet! Hiking poles would’ve been helpful with crossing the river (you probably cross 10+ times) but a good ole walking stick worked fine too. Probably too difficult for little kids - I also wouldn’t recommend to less experienced hikers or anyone who’s not excited about the prospect of rock hopping over a waterfall. Our group loved it though!

Absolutely gorgeous! Definitely a tough climb with plenty of water crossings and rock scrambles. Well worth it though. Bring lots of water and some snacks. If you use poles, you will definitely want them for this hike. I don't typically use them but I borrowed a set from a friend. I was glad I did.

Very good trail secluded, first 2.5 miles are v good run up a waterfall lots of rock scrambled crossing the water and steep, rest of 3 miles is easy. Take a map as it’s easy to miss the markers.

tough start worth it!

I hiked it with my 9 year old on a sunny but cool Monday in April when he didn’t have school. We only saw 4 other hikers in 7 hours. The hike up the Stairs is fantastic. The leaves were just starting to come in, so there were still some good views looking back down from the top, but also some foliage to look at. The water falls and steep trail were hard but great fun. Instead of heading straight back to the bottom on Keyser Run Fire Rd, we hiked the opposite way to the AT and looped back to the top of the Stairs using Sugarloaf Trail, turning it into a 10 mile hike. The return to the Parking area on the fire road wasn’t very interesting, save the cemetery, and was steep enough that it was hard on the feet and legs at the end of a long day. The hike up is so good, I’d definitely come back and do it again.

A mini White Oak Canyon is an apt description for this hike. While it is not quite as impressive as White Oak Canyon, it's definitely a worthwhile hike. The "stairs" section of the hike is very cool, and very steep! The water was flowing pretty good at the end of March, and there were some peek-a-boo views through the still barren trees toward the top of the stairs.

We loved it!! Recommend starting with the waterfalls and end with the road. #gochasingwaterfalls

Would definitely recommend this hike! Moderate intensity with nice views along the way. Enjoyed the waterfalls on the upward climb.

I went up south west way and down the stairs. Mistake! It rained the day before and it was slippery - overall not as hard as expected. I enjoyed the falls along the way down but I was hoping for better views from the top. There's a cemetery on Gray Road! It's a good workout.

Beautiful waterfalls on the climb up and a solid workout. Feels like a mini-version of the White Oak Canyon ascent from Weakley Hollow (but without the crowds!) Be advised that some downed trees around Mile 1.5 make the otherwise very visible blue trail markers a little tough to spot, so stay alert.

Great trail. I did the full loop and ended up camping one night where it meets up with the AT. It was super secluded in June when I went out and didn’t see a single person for 15 miles on the trail. I brought my dog who loved it too, but the heat and length caught up with us (hence spending a night). We didn’t see people, but we saw A LOT of bears. Bears tend to hang out in the north side of the park where there aren’t designated campgrounds. Still, absolutely beautiful. No real vistas here unless you do the full 17 mile loop. Then, you’ll have several once you cross over Skyline drive.

Hiked yesterday as cold front was whipping in. Snow on the fire road was about 3” deep and it made it a little sluggish after the climb. Ascent was beautiful but trickier than my many others due to ice. Glad I had my hiking poles. Note to newcomers —park straight in, aligned with road. Lately a lot of early arrivals parking perpendicular to entrance taking up two spots. It fills up quick and road in does not accommodate more than 5 cars

Love this trail! Have done both ascend and descend. Prefer the ascend. Trail is covered in snow (roughly 12”) but pretty packed down along the traveled trail.

Pretty intense in the snow

Beautiful and challenging hike upstream and then easy walk down through very quiet and spooky forrest. Early January late afternoon.

Delightful hike end of December. The hike is technical, especially toward summit. We did this with 2 active 40somethings, 3 young adults, and a 6 year old. All loved it. As you climb the mountain you’ll cross over the stream multiple times. If you have waterproof boots I recommend wearing. If not bring a spare pair of dry socks (we needed ours). The fire road down was lovely, very pretty forest.

TONS of water and high water crossings on Nov 25th. Had to take our shoes off and wade knee deep in ice cold water. Make sure you take poles and water shoes for water crossings on this hike! Lots of climbing up front which was awesome. We added another loop to make it a 9.5 mile hike. Took our large group 5.5 hours to complete.

So I’m not opposed to fire road trails and this one is about half and half pretty rocky with lots of stream crossings. Be aware the All Trails map calls the entrance fire road Jinny Gray Road, but the trail markers and signs call it Kayseri Run Fire Road.

Great climb. Hiked up from little devil stairs parking lot. Glad I had poles, water crossings a bit dicey at times. Nice walk down with some views!

We started muster after the mile maker 19 and parked. Walked down the fire road all the way and then came back up the Devils stairs. There are several creek crossings which are doable. Look for the blue marks on trees or you may miss where you should cross. Stable shoes (not sandals) are a must. It gets steep at points and you will have to actually use hands and feet to step up and climb. I’m very active and it was a good workout. My counterpart had some difficulty with the steep inclines and elevation. However, you can stop and rest. It was mid 70’s and sunny. We were sweating hard and definitely bring water. I loved the various fungi and water fall spots. Didn’t see any wildlife, not even birds but I found it to be a very beautiful and a peaceful hike. We did see a few dogs along the way, one with 3 legs even! But bring water for them. Not sure they should be drinking the creek water even though it’s crystal clear. I’d recommend this hike. It took us 4 hours but could have easily been done in 3-3.5 with my normal hiking partner.