Little Devils Stairs Trail

Little Devils Stairs Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Washington, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a hard hike but lot of fun. The climb up is work navigating the rocks. Lot of small worms from Annelida, so please be careful not to step on them during the hike. We even saw a brow snake. They is no real summit, the trail ends at the top connecting to a road. But the climb up along the waterfall is really nice and cool. We went right after a rainy week so we did see sufficient amount of water to qualify a waterfall.

My wife and I hiked Little Devil this weekend and really enjoyed it. We've had a lot of rain recently and it made for a very full streams and great waterfalls. Some stream crossings were a little tricky but all in all doable and very fun. While there is about a mile and a half of steep upward climb at the beginning, it is in no way overwhelming. Once you get to the top of the canyon, it is a very easy hike for the remainder of the loop. We completed the hike in just under four hours even with a 15 minute lunch break at the Bolen cemetery. I will definitely do this hike again.

Great trail, beautiful waterfalls, and I agree with some of the other reviews, definitely like a stair master for the first 2-2.5 miles. Nice scenery, good workout, good rock scrambles! Remember to turn left to get down to the parking lot or else you will find yourself on the Appalachian Trail. Drove my Tesla on the gravel road leading up to the trailhead, definitely slow going and out in the middle of nowhere, very fun hike! Took us about 3-3.5 hours and we were taking it slow to take pictures.

It was rocky but lot of fun and hard

This is my second time doing this hike. It wasn't as difficult as I remembered probably because we started in the morning and weather was perfect (in the 70s). We used Waze and it took us directly to the small parking lot in front of the trailhead. There were no signs leading up to it and we were on a gravel road for a mile when we finally reached the Lot. The first time I went, we started from skyline drive. I agree the first 2 miles are hard like an endless stair master, but great because it is along the waterfall. But the majority of mileage will be the fire road, which is nice after the steep hike. I would definitely recommend doing this hike!

Definitely a difficult trail! It felt like I was doing steep lunges all the way to the top of the hike. If you like a challenge, then this is a great trail!

Overall a hike that I'll keep in my rotation of places to go! The first mile or two is why it is ranked hard. Going straight up, climbing rocks, steep inclines. Can be slippery going over water and waterfalls. Also the trail markers need to be touched up on. Can be challenging but after you see what accomplished, very worth it. As soon as you get the four way to finish you should turn left. That takes you down hill the whole time leading to parking lot. I got lost and kept going straight until I hit Appalachian trail, which added about 3 miles total to the hike. Had an 80pnd dog who seemed to enjoy it as well.

Nice hike with our two dogs.

Pretty awesome hike that gives you a little bit of everything. The first two miles are rough, very steep incline and very rocky. Some very pretty waterfalls along the way. After that, it's smooth sailing. When you get to the top you will want to take a left down the fire road to get back to the parking lot, unless you plan to extend your hike further, I think going further leads you to the Appalachian trail. The majority of the hike is downhill along the fire road. Still very pretty, there is a small overlook along the fire road, as well as a beautiful cemetery. Was a great hike overall, however I wouldn't recommend for out of shape people, small kids, or dogs.