Lewis Spring Falls Trail

Lewis Spring Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Stanley, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 816 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. Park at milepost 51.2 in the Big Meadows area. Look for the amphitheater where below, you will find a trail post for Lewis Spring Falls.

Very nice, shaded little hike. I hiked it clockwise, but would probably recommend counterclockwise, as others have said. Great overlook on the AT close to the trailhead at the beginning (or end, if you do it counterclockwise) of the trail.

Hiked Lewis Falls the day after heavy rain and the falls were in full flow. Make sure once you reach the falls you go up the side path, cross the water and take the short path to the viewing area of the bottoms of the falls. 1 1/2 hour hike with good chance of seeing the odd bear crossing that trail!

a lovely hike, the falls looks like something out of a fairytale. my friends and i also took the little side trail to black rock on the way back up which was absolutely stunning. we saw a black bear cub in the last mile and a deer ran across the trail in front of us just a little ways further.

Nice morning hike to the falls did it clockwise glad I went that direction.

Hiked it as an out and back going counterclockwise. A great way to hike it, only bummer was the downed timber that made it impossible to finish the loop as intended

Very nice trail with some beautiful views.

The falls are really cool, has a nice little sitting Area under some trees at the top of the falls. The hike up is a little steep but still really fun.

Great workout with pretty falls along the way.

Great family day spend walking this beutifull site I think it will be a bit much for small children unless you take manny brakes, I took my 17 year old with a friend, my 10 year old daughter and my 12 year old niece, they all enjoy the hike very much and the waterfall view was amazing I will do it again.

Super easy trail of you go counterclockwise, hiking past blackhorn. Out and back

Nice trail to go when camping at Bug Meadows. I tried from Blackrock to AT then loop. Coming up to Lewis Spring trail is not easy. I recommend to do it counter-clockwise from Blackrock There is no real 'fall' veiw but it's still nice view.

We actually did this trail unintentionally! My husband and I had our five boys with us (aged 12-3.5), and also my mother. We were planning to just do the shorter out and back trails that are rated “easy,” but decided to keep going. Because we weren’t planning to do the whole loop I hadn’t read to do it counterclockwise. We did it clockwise and honestly I think I prefer doing the rockiest parts going uphill. We are all novice hikers and only had on athletic shoes and had very little trouble. Took us about 3 hours and the youngest boys made it almost to the very end before we had to carry them some. It was a lot of fun with a nice cardio push going uphill at the end, and some really beautiful views and flowers.

Great trail with kids and dog. I would rate this closer to moderate than hard. Definitely do this counterclockwise like other reviewers have said! And definitely take the small detour down to the observation point. Much better views of the falls. Really nice starter trail for the family before trying longer ones. Just the perfect length.

Lewis Falls trail is a loop and we did the full loop, but if you don’t think you are up for a steep climb then head to the falls by starting out to the left from Black Rock and then return the same way. It will keep this trail at a moderate level for you because the steeper elevation climb is on the other half of the trail. We did the whole loop at went up the steepest part (not down...last time I trust a tip from some guy in the parking lot). There wasn’t anything magnificent to see on that steep side so if you decide to double back to make the trail easier you won’t be missing anything exciting. When you are at Lewis Falls you will see hikers at the upper falls to your right, but do yourself a favor and go left. There is a trail marker near the water. Cross over and there is a very short trail that will take you down to an observation point for the lower falls. It’s worth the few minutes it takes to see a different view of the falls.

I don't know if there's been a recent rockslide since the people who claimed this was only a "moderate" trail, but there were parts that didn't even look like a trail anymore when we went today. We also went counter clockwise and glad for that choice as the worst parts were definitely on the northern tract. Good cardio workout on the climb back up, wouldn't push it if you're not in somewhat good shape

Hiked Lewis Falls counterclockwise yesterday! Weather was amazing and the recent rains made the stream higher. The view of the falls was not that great but getting there and hiking back was a lot of fun.

Hiked last weekend 7/21/18 and it was a good hike! We did it counter clock wise and I’m glad we didn’t have to go up the rocky trail. Lots of rocky paths, make sure to wear good shoes. We went and it was a little foggy at the beginning. It’s really a beautiful hike though!

Monday, July 16, 2018

Did this hike a few weeks ago in May during a heat wave. The trail was mostly shaded so it wasn’t horrible in the heat and humidity. This is a pretty steep trail but not horribly long. The view point is a little off the beaten path and was a little obstructed by trees but gorgeous nonetheless.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Hiked 7/8/18, perfect weather, 65 degrees at the start. Only saw 4 groups on the way in. I also recommend hiking this loop counterclockwise. The AT portion is smooth and very nice. The Lewis Spring Trail is very rocky. The trail was mostly dry. Apparently not a popular spot, I’m guessing because there is no real place to get in the water .

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Definitely more moderate than difficult, but beautiful trail with a waterfall about 1/2 way thru. First trail at Shenandoah, excited to explore more in the future.

Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Beautiful hike, lots of rock-hopping. Wear shoes with good ankle support! I slipped and busted my knee and ankle on a loose rock.