Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lands Run Falls Trail

Lands Run Falls Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Front Royal, Virginia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,466 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We somehow missed the fact that the waterfall is close to the very start of the trail. We walked all the way to the bottom and back up and can report that there’s not much else to see. While it’s nice to be out in the woods, next time we’d choose a more varied and scenic route.

This was our first and only hike of the day. - We hiked in a light rain down and back. - It only 6 tenths to the Falls and because of all the rain days before the water was really rolling. - After we finished this hike it began to pour. - The mountains were fogging up and the weather took a turn for the worse. - By evening the wind was clocking at 60 MPH. - We spent the night at Skyland Resort in the dark with NO POWER. - Lucky I carry a loaded backpack with headlamps too.

Quick leg stretcher!

Took two kids (4 and 10) on their first hike here. Nice little waterfall and extra climbing. Both were able to complete it in their own. The whole Trail is a Fire road. Good taste for them of what hiking is like.

great hike down to the falls and beyond. the trail between the parking lot and the falls is really rocky from the rain. heads-up it's steeper coming back to the parking lot than you think.

Decent but I probably wouldn’t do it again. Would probably be a bit boring in the winter without the birds and foliage. Good workout on the way back up for me and the dog and the little stream waterfall was cool. Not sure why it says it’s 5.7 miles. It’s 2.2 miles down to the chained off road and then back so 4.4 miles total.

Giving this a three because it doesn’t have any scenic views- the waterfall is nice, but it’s near the beginning of the trail (as soon as you cross the stream, take the side trial to the right of the main path). After the waterfall, the rest of the trail is a steady decline further into the woods. It’s a fire road, so it’s wide and somewhat grassy, and you’re always in the shade, but it wasn’t a very exciting hike. Good for a trail run, especially if you want a hill workout, because the whole return is uphill.

Nice, easy hike on a fire road to a waterfall.

you need to go off trail to see the falls. it's not very big or the most impressive falls in the Shenandoah park.thus trail is also on a fire road. it's all down hill then up hill on the return.

falls are nice. downhill to falls and then return is all uphill

My dog and I enjoyed this little hike. Nice waterfall. It is not as “organic” of a path due to it being a fire road however it did not take away from the scenery or enjoyment. Side note there is a small patch of private property which I didn’t realize until I was in it, haha. I spotted a pool and it peaked my interest which lead me to crossing the stream and there you have it. The incline is on the return hike which I don’t particularly care for because it doesn’t not provide a “cool down” prior to the end of the hike.

We hiked this today and measured the out and back at 1.5 miles. Fire road goes south from the parking area on the west side of Skyline Drive about 9.2 mm. Trail goes down to a nice waterfall with a steady climb coming back up. Nice short hike and scenic waterfall at the bottom.

You need to go off the trail to see the falls views which begin after you cross the stream. But this is a lovely quick easy hike on a fire road. Park in the lot at 9.2 on the west side of skyline drive, trail starts at the fire road at the south side of the lot. Well shaded hike. I would recommend going in Spring or after a lot of rain. The falls can dry up in later summer.

Downhill on the way to the falls, uphill back! Took 4 kids ranging from 0-7, no problem.

great family hike. We really enjoyed scurrying around the rocks next to the falls and the wide trail for the 6 of us.

Quick walk downhill on a fire road to the top of the falls. Falls are relatively small in comparison to others in the park. From the falls you turn around and hike back uphill to the parking area. Trail is wide and well marked.

Easy out and back hike.

Sat Nov 10 2018

Quick hike to a neat waterfall

Wed Aug 22 2018

nice parking lot off the road. first half is down hill and it was little tricky for us due to wetness. reach to top of water fall in 30 min or less (we had 4 yr old and 9 yr old with us). water was powerful and amazing to see strong stream waterfall. hike back same road we walked down. we didn't came cross with black bear, but there was couple of berry trees were knocked out. overall good hike but not much to see other than water stream/fall at half way of this hike.

Mon Aug 13 2018

This was a nice easy walk to the top of waterfalls. it gets a little rocky so I suggest wearing sneakers not sandals. All and all a nice walk with pretty waterfalls.

Wed May 30 2018

The trail starts downhill. Past the waterfall and to the right is a little cabin across a tiny bridge that apparently is privately owned but grandfathered into Shenandoah National park. If you don’t like finishing your walk uphill, don’t do this. Also, it was nice and shaded. My dog was a happy camper on this trail.

Fri May 18 2018

My dogs and I walked down to the water falls are many days of rain, It was more impressive than I expected. Best think to see it after some rain. A nice walk in the rain,

Sat Apr 14 2018

Took the trail down to the fall. It's easy and not too long, but don't underestimate the uphill climb on the way back. Not much to see on the falls. You can climb down some rocks next to the water. If you want a really short hike with some water, it's worth doing. We walked past the fall on the fire road another mile, and that was very steep at points, which made the return a decent workout.

Sat Mar 31 2018

I hiked this trail with my kids (9 and 14) and my mom (65). It was a quick, easy walk to the waterfall along the gravel fire road and the waterfall was gorgeous (early April). You actually stand at the top of the waterfall and look down. More adventurous hikers can climb down a bit to get a great close up view of the falls and it makes for a great photo opportunity. The uphill walk back up was not fun but worth it for a quick view of the falls. We turned around at the falls but you could keep going. Other than the falls, the hike is pretty boring, not any good views or unique terrain, this is the only reason I rated a 3 instead of higher.

Sat Oct 21 2017

There is a very small (easy to miss) parking lot near mile 9 on Skyline Drive with minimal signage. The whole hike is on a fire road, so less scenic than other hikes in the park. It’s out and back (downhill on the way in and uphill on the way back). When we hiked this it was a nice leg stretch after a long drive, but the hike ends at a very small stream with a very small trickling cascade (not what you may think when you hear waterfall). It might be a better hike after a lot of rain. Walk is shaded and easy to do in sneakers.

Sun Jul 09 2017

This is a good family hike with nice forest views. The mostly gravel trail is wide and follows an old fire road down to the falls. Once there, you can take a well-worn path a short distance for a better view of the upper cascade. It is not spectacular, but it was pretty with the recent rain. There is a small parking area near mile 9 on Skyline Drive. The trail is not marked...look for the sign for the fire road.

Sat Jun 24 2017

Great walk

Mon May 29 2017

This is a really nice short hike. We have two young children that hiked it with us and they had no problems getting around. There had been a lot of rain recently so the waterfall was really flowing! It's not too far from the Skyline entrance which is a plus if you don't want to spend all day on the drive. highly recommend this trail.