Lake Maury

Lake Maury is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newport News, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trails were narrow and difficult to follow, so chose to bail out and run across the street on the Noland Trail.

As an avid runner, I wouldn't recommend this one. It seems good for biking.

Very beautiful. The walk around the lake was amazing in winter :)

Could not find a restroom for a long time.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Not many people walking but a lot of mountain bikes. Not a bad hike.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Good trails. Winding. A bit of a maze. Download the trail to be sure you can get back.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Not a bad trail last time I was on it (walking), however it is geared towards mountain biking. And if you do not have a clear map or a good sense of direction it can get you turned around and lost in a heart beat. The first few times I experienced this trial was mountain biking and it is a great ride.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Nice loop around a lake that has a small but decent amount of terrain change. The trail is nicely marked and includes mile markers.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Awesome, watchout for tree roots. Not crowded

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

I did it but I did not like some parts of it. I am not that steady on a bike.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

We just got done with our first ever mountain bike ride on this trail. The beginning of the trail isn't immediately clear (down the slope and go under the fallen tree, hah!), but after getting our bike legs a bit and walking up some of the steepest parts we were able to finish! I even think we got a little lost, coming out behind the hospital and having to get back to the cars along the road on the sidewalk.

Maybe not for the most beginner of beginners, but what can I say, we're ambitious! Bring your phone and you'll be fine!

Friday, September 26, 2014

Trail was easy enough to follow. Not marked when entering or exiting the trails for the access road. On a lighter note, not a fan of all the spider webs... But I was a good ride none the less.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Great place to ride its easy to find only thing is no direction on trails but awesome place in town if u haven't been go one time!!

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Just finished this trail. Lots of fun. Unless I just lost the trail, you pop out to the hospital's parking lot towards the end. Some of the jumps look pretty sketchy but after you eye it out, they're not too bad. All-in-all, it was fun and I'll be back later this week with some friends.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Ratio flu area but very hard to follow trails. It's too bad because it's a beautiful area. I would not go back.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Just finished this one, very nice trail!!! I absolutely love riding here, there is a good balance beam, a teeter totter, a jump park, and some great singletrack!!!! Anyone can have fun here!!!!

Monday, August 19, 2013

I was going to go here with the club but I was afraid that I would be too slow for them so I went on my own. Nice views of the lake most of the way.

Monday, August 12, 2013

SInce this is only the second trail I've been on, I'd say it is a pretty good trail.

yes, lots of roots, sometime hard to navigate, but that's the cool challenge. Rained like crazy yesterday, which made the trails even more challenging yet fun. Yeh - you can get turned around easy, but still a nice work out..

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Couldn't agree with Mr. Bailey more on his review...the trails are covered in roots and the trail system is the most confusing I've ever been on. It would be great to have the organization come out and take care of this place because it definitely has potential! With the griping set aside, there are some places that we found accidentally that are being built up to some pretty decent jumps. If it hadn't poured the rain last night, causing everything to be crazy muddy, I would have definitely enjoyed them more. Im adding a link to a website that i found useful, however it is not all inclusive...

Hope this helps a little.

Monday, July 29, 2013

Loved this trail. We walked it on a beautiful spring day & even though we didn't plan on doing the whole thing we just kept going. There were tons of people out - families, runners, dog owners, etc. Lots of great wooden bridges over waterways. A great treasure in an unexpected location.

Friday, April 19, 2013

I like this trail in spite of lots of tree roots and mud.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

I live in Hampton and just got into mountain biking within the past 4 months. I have tried out a few trails in Hampton and Newport News so far lake maury is my favorite by far.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

This time of the year pretty tough to understand where to go... Everything is covered with leafs. No rain lately and it was pretty dry. Roots roots roots good test on your bike frame... Some marking of the trail would be beneficial as it is you can simply wonder around and have fun... nice ride without going miles away from home.
I'll do it again.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Great trail if you like it muddy. Just a little rain makes for large puddles and swampy conditions. Really a good workout. Lots of roots on this one. Look out for the silver elephant!!!!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

This trail is a little worn with lots of tree roots. It's lauded out pretty good if you know the trail but there are no sign to give directions. It would be nice if Eastern Virginia MTB would take over this trail to keep it up. It is a nice local ride.

Friday, September 08, 2017