Kennedy Peak Trail

Kennedy Peak Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fort Valley, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty easy and relatively short hike with a nice payoff. Kennedy Peak includes an old fire tower that includes a 360 view of the entire area. Follow the orange Massanutten blaze across the parking lot. The trail is mostly level with a steady moderate incline. One you hit the Kennedy Peak / Stephen's Trail split, follow the white blaze on your right. This portion is a bit steeper. Great payoff at the peak.

Easy hike until the last part headed to the tower. A lot of rocks but not that bad. Watch out for the horse poop on the entire trail. Worth the hike once you get to the tower..... enjoy the views

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Yikes-- the beginning of the hike was great, nice wide path and well shaded on a hot day. But there is a VERY important hard left switchback about 2 miles in - just when you're getting close to the tower that is not marked. So we pressed on straight following the trail (clearly others have done this because there is a clear trail for about 1/4 mile). Our mistake was to not turn around and go back, but this turned into quite a treacherous and scary morning. After a hot 2 hour detour we made it back to the trail, with our dog and 6 month old. What was supposed to be an easy family hike turned into a nightmare. While I get we were at fault for not turning around, this and all future instances of this could be avoided by putting an arrow on a tree or a rock or a sign or SOMETHING to let people know to take a hard left. Maybe someday we'll come back to actually make it to the tower but definitely not anytime soon.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Friday, September 25, 2015

Nice quiet hike, not a lot of other people on the trail. Beautiful view from the top!

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Great hike, it wasn't crowded which was nice. I saw a black bear on the second part of the hike as the trail began to climb the peak. It was above me on the hillside off the trail. I heard him first walking through woods, then I saw him looking down at me as I came around a bend. I clapped loudly whistled and kept on going walking away from him making much more noise as I went. Luckily the bear did not follow! The 360 view from the top was beautiful. On the way back I didn't have anymore bear encounters.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Great trail. Have done it many times with my father and solo. I have a house in Luray off Page Valley and it is a short drive to the parking area . Plan on sleeping on top of the tower this summer .

Saturday, March 08, 2014