Kaylor's Knob Trail

Kaylor's Knob Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near McGaheysville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Views were not spectacular.

Nice hike with pretty views both to the east and west along the way. I spent a couple of days at Massanutten in April and did both this and the Massanutten Ridge trail as sunrise hikes (both have the same starting point). You'll find that AllTrails rates them both as moderate, but I would rate this trail as moderate (maybe even leaning toward easy), while I'd say the Massanutten Ridge trail borders on difficult. This one is about a mile shorter than Massanutten Ridge trail, but this one also has less elevation gain/loss, and the elevation change this trail does have is along generally easy to travel paths (not as many rocks/roots reaching up to snag your feet), whereas you really have to watch your footing on the Massanutten Ridge trail.

For comparison, I spent about 2.5 hours doing the Massanutten Ridge trail, and felt like I really exerted myself. Two days later, I did the Kaylor's Knob trail in about 1.5 hours and rarely felt like I was exerting myself on the trail. I will say that the views on the MR trail are slightly more frequent and more impressive than those on the KK trail, but not significantly so.

We actually hiked this twice. First time with 3 year old grandson, who walked about a mile of our 2 mile hike in and out. Second time, just 2 adults and baby in a carrier did nearly 3 miles. Went in about 1 1/2 mile, stopped at an outcrop to take pics and drink water. Got the pic, mommy with baby looked down and saw the head of a bear climbing up....needless to say we survived but we beat feet!

The end of the trail was not clear as it kept going beyond the 1.8 miles marked. However, the trail was beautiful to hike up to a wonderful view. Once you reach the peak, do not keep going just go back down.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016