Jones Run Falls Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(192)
Shenandoah National Park

Jones Run Falls Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Crozet, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,272 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Many trailheads in this park are closed due to COVID-19. Please check the park website for up to date info on which trails are accessible.

It’s a great trail and is now open again! The sides got a little overgrown, likely from the closure, but it’s still very easily recognizable and clearly marked. I hiked past Jones Run Falls over to Lower Doyle River Falls, and both were spectacular. Take your time crossing the rivers, the rocks are pretty slick, but worth the trek.

This was a fun one. We did the 3.2 mile trail to the falls then back up to the lot. It is downhill on the way to the Falls. Today was very foggy so not amazing views but the falls were beautiful. The trail was really wet and slippery today.

Overall nice hike! We went around 10am and we were the only car in the parking lot. The first half is downhill, we stopped at the falls which were beautiful. Had lunch at the falls then turned back. The hike back is almost entirely uphill, a few areas were strenuous but overall an easy-moderate uphill. Total time was 2 hours (excluding lunch), and we clocked in at 4 miles instead of 4.5. A solid hike, would recommend. One note: you do have to pay the NP entrance fee to get to skyline drive and get to the hike.

We started at Brown’s Gap and did an easy 1.5 miles on the Appalachian Trail before the decent to the falls. Kids were entertained by the varied trail and the waterfall was a nice place for a snack.

BEAUTIFUL does not describe this one. I love hiking waterfalls and I am a total rock hound so this one is perfect. I cant wait to go in the spring and explore more (aka rock climb :)

icy

The 1st mile or so of this is a gradual wide descent down which moves away from the stream and doesn't turn back near it until closer to the falls. Once it gets to the falls, it stays along the stream the rest of the way down and of course gets more rocky with roots which is the fun part. Given the low amount of rain this season, I wasn't expecting much out of the falls, but was still impressed with the height of them. Between these two intersecting falls trails, I probably enjoyed Doyles River Trail better because of the steeper falls/trail.

Nice cool weather. Water is still flowing, not strong, but there! Nice trail!

falls are quite underwhelming at the moment since we have not had much rain lately but this is a beautiful hike thru the woods alot of cool geology, saw a small black bear about halfway thru and a big buck near the beginning

Definitely nice...downhill at first to the waterfall, but then on the way back is all uphill. A little rough a lt times. Saw some bears which was a suprise. Would do this one again.

loved it! the trail was not busy at all when we were there. Coming back up from the falls was a bit of a struggle for newbies, but all in all it was awesome!

Beautiful hike. No problems trekking on this 4.5 mile trail.

Fantastic trail! Very, very steep in spots. The Falls weren’t flowing heavy when I went, but it was still beautiful. Other reviews mentioned bears. They’re definitely right. I parked at 8am and wasn’t even on the trail yet when I saw a mamma bear & two cubs. They were eating berries in the trees above the trail sign. I returned later around 2pm and completed it. Great workout - kicked my butt.

Wonderful falls — make sure you go all the way down to the big ones. My nine year old was flagging on the way back when it got steep, but the steep part isn’t too long.

Good hike with three kids, youngest being 3 years old.

Good trail, all down hill to the falls. The uphill was a good challenge with my 8 month old son on my back. The falls were pretty. We saw a bear as many others have. The bear was near the trail head foraging. The bear didn’t pay any attention to us and from a safe distance with a good zoom lens made for some good photo opportunities posted a few pictures. Will definitely do this hike again.

I had lots of fun hiking this trial, very easy in my opinion especially going down. The challenge is definitely coming back up however it was a great experience overall. Also I seen a rattle snake, he kindly let us know he was present and proceeded to cross the path.

Great trail seen rattlesnake and momma bear with 2 cubs she was very docile as many hikers passed by.

Hike down wasn’t super eventful. Saw a bear, so that was cool. Fantastic falls. Insanely steep hike back up.