Jeremy's Run Trail

Jeremy's Run Trail is a 11.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail is also accessible from Rileyville, VA. The hike from the bottom provides swimming holes and a small waterfall in the first 2 miles.

Like most I did the Jermy's run and Knob Mountain loop as a quick over night backpacking trip. Jeremys Run was an easy trek perfect for a day hike out and back, took us about 2 hours to get to the Knob Mountain start. You're feet will get wet, we did this in the pouring rain and the creek crossings were very shallow but rocks are extremely slippery leading to toes and heels dipping in. Knob Mountain is a pretty intense uphill switch back for the first 3.3 miles, if you aren't in good condition you will have a hard time getting up there. The walk down was easy and quick. Took the cutoff trail back to Jeremys run which was a nice rocky downhill with one more creek crossing before heading back up the uphill Jeremy's Run entrance.

This should really be called "Jeremy's Run + Knob Mountain Loop". Jeremy's run is a moderate but very nice hike with a ton of waterfalls (depending on your definition of a waterfall), but the Knob Mountain Trail is a pretty big climb, and as others have said the views are nice but obstructed... you never really come out of the trees. That said, we did see a black bear at the northernmost part of this loop, right where you meet the fire road (marked as "Knob Mountain Restricted Road" on the Topo map).

I'd do this again, but I'd only do Jeremy's Run as an out-and-back. And yeah... Steven Steinbacher is absolutely right about the ticks, too. Brutal (in early May, anyway).

Did an REI overnight as an out and back, in perfect weather! Quite fun! There were numerous stream crossings, and I was glad for my decision to wear lightweight approach shoes and waterproof pants rather than heavy hiking gear. most crossings were midcalf; one reached my knees.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Hiked this route with my girlfriend and 6 month lab puppy. We followed the route as marked on this map and it was over 14 miles.
Yes - there are some nice streams but otherwise the views are very unsatisfying compared with other options in the area. Additionally, the bugs were very bad and the Ticks were relentless. I picked off probably 20 from myself and the dog collected no less than 20 as well. It was a very tiring day that luckily wasn't too hot as there is a lot of cover from the sun. Still, over 7 hours of hiking with no real reward in the way of a view and awful bugs made this a hike we won't return to.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Monday, April 18, 2016

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Great Trail! We started at the bottom in Rileysville. To get there take Vaughn's Summit Road from the 340 (we started in the direction of Luray). It winds a bit but when you see the little bridge that crosses over the stream that is where the hike starts. It's not obvious from the road. No obvious parking. No trailhead marker. However there is a bit of yellow paint on the tree at the very beginning of the trail that my fiancé spotted. It was a really fun trail. It was in the 40-50's yesterday so crossing the river (which the trail requires frequently) was especially challenging since we didn't want to go in the drink. LOL! Took some hilarious videos. :-) :-) :-) And the water was high from recent rain. The leaves were just past their peak but for a California girl, it is absolutely stunning this weekend. Very quiet trail. We loved that. We passed a total of 10 hikers all day. 4 were backpacking. 2 were fishing and 4 looked like they were out for just the first mile or so of the trail. Enjoy!!

Sunday, September 06, 2015