Ivy Creek via Appalachian Trail

Ivy Creek via Appalachian Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Lightly trafficked and lots of wildlife at the falls. Wouldn’t consider an “easy” hike with young kids.

I loved this trail. I've done quite a few hikes in SNP and I have to say this might be my favorite. If you are looking for more views of hills/blue ridge mountains, I definitely recommend!

Thu Jun 21 2018

There is no river or creek. It’s a nice hike up a mountain and then down the other side.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Did this trail in 2015. More forested that I would like but there are some good views. about .4 mi into the tail we heard an animal nose coming from below the trail. We couldn't figure out what it was, low rumble growl. I don't know 100% but listening to animal sounds, it matches to a mountain lion. Freaked us out, but we still did the trail. Did not see any animal.

recorded 10/20/18