Learn more

Ivy Creek via Appalachian Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(40)
Shenandoah National Park

Ivy Creek via Appalachian Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy out and back with a pretty stream and small waterfall. Passed several AT Thru Hikers. Slightly overgrown, but nothing major.

This section of the AT is really nice. We hiked to the creek and back. Total was 4.3 miles. There’s a few good mountain views. A little overgrown in some areas but I would expect that since the trails were closed for months.

A very enjoyable hike on a well-maintained section of the AT. The elevation changes were gradual and spread out over good distances, which made them manageable by parents and kids alike. Two-to-three vistas along the route to Loft Mt. make it well worth the time and there are several good camping locations along the way. Water sources were readily available as well.

Lightly trafficked and lots of wildlife at the falls. Wouldn’t consider an “easy” hike with young kids.

I loved this trail. I've done quite a few hikes in SNP and I have to say this might be my favorite. If you are looking for more views of hills/blue ridge mountains, I definitely recommend!

Thu Jun 21 2018

There is no river or creek. It’s a nice hike up a mountain and then down the other side.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Did this trail in 2015. More forested that I would like but there are some good views. about .4 mi into the tail we heard an animal nose coming from below the trail. We couldn't figure out what it was, low rumble growl. I don't know 100% but listening to animal sounds, it matches to a mountain lion. Freaked us out, but we still did the trail. Did not see any animal.