Ivy Creek Natural Area Trails

Ivy Creek Natural Area Trails is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Charlottesville, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Nice shady trail - good hike during heat of summer.

My daughter and I hiked the red and dark purple peninsula trail as well as parts of the blue and light purple trails. We saw a fawn on the edge of North Field and a doe in the water on the red trail. We also saw 2 big black rat snakes as well as a Great Blue Heron, mallards and Canadian Geese. It was hot so I was surprised to see so much wildlife during the heat of the afternoon. Loved it here and will return.

Great trail

The trails were well maintained and clearly mark. I enjoyed the hike in the trails.

breath taking amazing views. Try starting out with the red trail, yellow, orange, then purple but really you need to experience all them, just get lost and when you don't know how to get out just look for the signs that lead you towards the field and you will connect back to parking

We walked this is no time with the kids who really enjoyed themselves everything was nice and had beautiful spots for pics. I enjoyed the history and the pamphlets provided. We saw four deers and four people walking at different times on the trail. We will do this one again.

Well maintained paths. Great for an hour or so walk on fairly easy trails.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Drove 20 minutes to get here only to find dogs were not allowed. What a bummer!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Excellent. Not many people!

Monday, July 25, 2016

This trail was well maintained and well marked. I enjoyed a summer morning hike on this trail. The scenery was good. Traffic was light and plenty of parking space.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Pretty

Friday, May 27, 2016

I really enjoyed it. I went in early Spring when the trees were still barren and was surprised at the amount of wildlife I saw from birds of prey to wild turkeys and plenty of deer.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Great!

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Well maintained and marked trails over light rolling hills give good exercise without being too mentally or physically taxing. Not too crowded the day after Thanksgiving. The scenery is varied, there are woods slopes, fields and river and marshlands to see.

Monday, September 21, 2015

For a local trip and first trail hike with my kids it was perfect. Unfortunately the lake and streams were nearly dried up (we haven't had much rain lately) but if there was more water it would've been beautiful. Going around in circles got a bit boring but there were some beautiful, peaceful views. I also really liked how every trail was marked and color coded. That took away any uneasiness of getting lost with my children. I plan on going back and do recommend it.

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Great option for choosing trails of various distance. All trails are marked clearly throughout. It's worth spending a couple of hours and exploring a few of the trails. The longest is 1.6 miles.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

If you have younger children & want to explore the woods with them, this is a great place. The trails are easy to navigate with varied terrain and none are very difficult. You pass through meadows, woods, ravines, stream bank, and along the reservoir. Great place to spend the day, picnic, and just enjoy the great outdoors. No need for "hiking gear" - athletic shoes do just fine. Surprisingly close to Charlottesville with good parking. It can be crowded if you are there during an event or a school trip, but most times it does not feel too busy. For experienced adult hikers, it will seem too tame.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

There are several differnt trails that are very clearly marked (by color). They were well maintained, and there werenot a lot of people present.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Lots of wildlife and plenty of different trails you can take. Great place to spend the afternoon.