Indian River Park Trail

Indian River Park Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chesapeake, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The park is between the Hampton Roads Beltway and Military Highway. If you are coming from the Greenbrier shopping area of Chesapeake cross over Greenbrier Parkway and take the right hand turn onto Military highway and head for 1.3 Miles to Paramount Avenue (between two car dealerships), once there just follow the flow of traffic along the road and about 1 Mile down the road you will see the entrance to the park on your left.

great trail!

had a great time!

not a bad little walk to just get out of the house for a bit.

This is a small local trail for me, and excellent for walking/hiking and mountain biking. I do wish it had better markings, but that is only a minor issue.

great place for a bike ride! can get lost for hours if you want.

This was a beautiful beautiful trail. The trail is clearly marked but you can go off on all the little side trails and not feel like you're getting lost. We saw tons of little lizards, squirrels, and these cool damselflies that were either black or dark dark dark blue. I've never seen anything like them. Will definitely be doing this trail again.

The water nearby is just a smelly swamp... close to the road... kind of decent if you take the blue trail..

Overall short and meh

Friday, February 24, 2017

easy course. flat land next to a swam which is next to busy roads.

Monday, February 20, 2017

ups and downs, bridges. well marked. i likes.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

We had fun here! As was said in another review, it really felt like you were out in the woods and not in the city! We took a long route 2.77 miles, a little hard to navigate but a fun adventure.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Nice trails

Monday, September 05, 2016

Trails were sort of confusing, but great adventure for right next to a big road. Can get very muddy after it rains.

Monday, September 05, 2016

This trail has a locals vibe and is geared toward BMX and mountain bikers. There were a few areas that were only for bikers so if you're walking through you need to stay out of the way. No payoff views but a solid loop for a palate cleanser.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

This a fantastic trail. There are a ton of routes to choose from. Spread out through the trails are technical obstacles as well that can be bypassed or conquered, which allows for growth for those new to MTB. This will be a good to spot from now on!

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Great trail! Had it all to myself on a Saturday afternoon. I think it's great for beginner mountain/trail bikers with some challenging parts here and there. Plenty of routes to go around a challenging part if you're not ready for it. This trail will help you get up to the next level experience.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Pretty trail, but kind of short. We walked in a few circles but after 30-45 minutes we made our way out and figured that was about it.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

I just used my 50cc leaf blower to clear off the outer loop for mountain biking. The trail is marked by blue spray paint arrows if you take it counter clockwise. Now is the time to hit it if you don't want to get lost.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

This trail is 2.5miles and is the longest hiking trail in Northwest River Park. It's a free entrance. The trail signs are adequate enough. There's a lot of spider webs as you walk thru the trail. We only saw three people hiking the trail. We did not get lost so maybe it isn't so bad for my first time.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Nice trail. Only reason I didn't get lost was because of the spider webs. Lol

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Best local spot to run RC trail rigs and Crawlers. Just stay off the jumps and ramps out of respect fot the hard work the BMX guys have put into them. I tried to build a RC only course out there to help with that but someone didn't like the idea and destroyed my work. All good.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The trail itself was pretty well maintained except a few pretty deep mud holes along the trail. Not very clearly marked? And TONS of spiderwebs across the trail. I don't mind them I found it a minor annoyance but someone who hates spiders probably shouldn't go on this trail.

Saturday, September 06, 2014

Hiked it today with my husband. It's a good walk, not too difficult and interesting enough to hold your attention - really enjoyed seeing all the bike jumps and improvements the BMXers have made. Fun to watch them ride. The trails criss-cross all over the place and aren't always marked, so we just picked directions at random - I recommend this method if you've got time, it was a lot of fun.

Friday, March 07, 2014

Plenty of different tracks to run in the closed area of roughly 3 miles. Some more challenging than others. Some technical also. Kept up by locals especially on the bmx portion which is mainly on the southern side of the park. If you're short on time to get a run in this place will suit you. It's my go to spot.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Very fun park for a novice to biking. I got lost and had a blast. Great place to get comfortable on a bike and once you get past the entrance area it really opens up into some beautiful trails (and backyards!)

Thursday, November 21, 2013

This was a great place for my puppy to run around and burn off some of that energy.

Friday, September 06, 2013

This is a nice little park of trails. They are indeed mainly for more bmx style riding, and there are a lot of obstacles to be had, however, there are quite a bit of single track sections which I can decently classify as beginner to intermediate. If you have no sense of direction, whatsoever, you will most likely get lost in this little park. Today, I simply went trail running here as my bike is in the shop, but I'm excited to come here to play with my bike. This place is all right but is in incredible disrepair!!!! Sections of the trails are ridden with trash and obstacles that are so decrepit that they seem like more of a hazard than a challenge. If I were part of some sort of mountain bike community I would definitely reach out to this little park to help it reach it's full potential.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Although the park is used more by the bikes, the many miles of trails are great for hiking. The back section off the end of Miller Avenue is the busiest.

Monday, April 08, 2013

First time at the trail system. Great mix of technical and recreational flat biking. Most trails were well maintained with the exceptions being some of the non-city funded bridges needing work. Multiple routes and entrances provides easy access.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Good if you have kids or are a birder. Not if you are wanting difficult hike.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Had a good time here. Plus it's close to my house, not the toughest but not the easiest that's for sure.