Humpback Rocks Recreation Area

Humpback Rocks Recreation Area is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lyndhurst, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great climb... Breathtaking views!!

Great view at the end for a relatively short hike.

very steep but worth it with that view!!

Fantastic panoramic views from the top. Very many hikers on a Sunday and parking lot was overflowing. Totally dog friendly!

Nice trail for a first time hiker. Not too long but still challenges you with the steep ascent and offers a very rewarding view and interesting rock face at the top. Watch out for mud and ice on colder days in winter/ early spring.

Great hike! Heavily trafficked but the view at the top of the rocks make the trip on a crowded trail worth it.

Great view from the rocks

Went in January and it was super muddy and icy but the summit made it worth it! Beautiful views!

Easy hike. Highly trafficked. 2017.

This was a trail and view I was proud to have all to myself on an early Monday morning. This is an area well known for herds of people pollution, this is why I was amazed to have it all to myself! You can tell by the wore out areas on the amount of people that use this trail. I returned to the parking lot to see only one other car and another pulling in as I was stowing my gear!

Totally worth the steep climb to the top. Gorgeous views!!

Pretty difficult. Note that the summit is a fairly steep rock, so if you're a little scared of heights like I am you may not fully appreciate it.

Awesome short hike. It’s a small bye in for such an awesome view. Lots of traffic though

The summit offers great views! There are no switchbacks, so it’s steep. We hiked before sunrise and went a little off-trail by mistake.

Great views but lots of people on a Saturday.

I did this hike back in July and it was so hot. It was a pretty moderate climb but well worth it had lunch at the top.

The .8 mile trip up is NO JOKE! It was strenuous, but in a good way! The views at the top were well worth the pain! It was a beautiful Saturday when we visited and VERY busy both on the trail and on the rocks. We took the slow, long way back down. It was about 3 miles, way less crowded, and beautiful!! Overall, great day!

Beautiful view as I remember! Good cardio at the beginning climbing

Best view!!! So good!

A 5 star east coast trail but really can't compare to hiking out west. Great combination of natural and placed rocks/wood for some of the stairs. Nice outcropping sat the top with expansive view and a satisfying longer version back heading towards the Appalachian picnic area than turning left. Don't let the only 1 mile up fool you into a quick up and back. You definitely need a bit of cardio health to the top and even the long down path had another gradual climb at the end. It was a nice choice for a group of mid 40's to 50's year old women.

Did this for the first time @ sunrise - highly recommend! It was quite easy to reach the top. Only took us about 25-30 mins. We reached the top around 6:40am. It was a Saturday and there were already about 10 people at the top waiting! We took the long way down to get some more hiking in which added another 3ish miles. Really fun hike and would definitely do again at sunrise!

Being one of the first up the trail to Humpback Rocks gives you a great uncrowded view. The first 800 feet of elevation gain is a workout for sure. The rocks give you the feeling hawks must get as they launch into the thermals. It's worth the climb. We took the AT switchbacks down; much longer but you can keep a good even speed and it goes quickly. Was disappointed by people who spray paint the trail signage; they need to realize cleaning them is at taxpayer's expense and it's unsightly for those of us who respect the trails. Six miles from the intersection of the BRP and Skyline Drive, Humpback Rocks is a not to miss stop. Enjoy!

Tough climb, but quick and fun. Great views from the rocks.

Nicely maintained trail from the HB Rocks parking lot to the top of the rocks. There are benches along the way at the bottom half. Nice stairs where needed for a steep climb. And a beautiful view from the rocks. I took the AT north to head back to the parking lot. The AT in this section has a nice grade with pleasant switch backs. The walk through the moderately dense forest was very pleasant. Don't forget to bring at least 1 liter of water per person.

ZQz

Ok, so this week I've done Crabtree Falls and McAfee Knob, and I'm not sure if my body is just worn out, but this little hike had me stopping a lot and talking to myself ;). There are no switchbacks so though it is short you are heading straight up. Entirely doable, well marked and worth it at the top for the climbing and views.

This is a pretty tough hike, because it's around a 850ft elevation gain in 0.8 miles. Definitely worth it though, the rocks are incredible and the view from them is even better!

good hike alittle rocky

Nice trail. Good views at top. We went on a Sunday in July and the trail was busy. Would do again.

My boyfriend and I went on a gorgeous weekend in July 2017. He didn't seem to have any problem... he carried a backpack and didn't even seem to get out of breath. I struggled. This is the first hike I've been on. We went up and mostly stayed on the trail. It took us (lol me) an hour and 15 minutes to make it to the top. We definitely took our time. The top is a humbling view. However much you struggle- it's worth it. I laughed when he pointed out the tiny parking lot where the car was. It only took about 20 minutes going down. Much easier. We went off the trail on the way down and it seemed like we cut off a lot of time and distance. I was amazed at the number of kids & babies and older adults too. I would definitely wear some shoes that are supportive and fit you well. I'd love to do this again in the future!