Humpback Rocks Recreation Area

Humpback Rocks Recreation Area is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lyndhurst, Virginia and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ok, so this week I've done Crabtree Falls and McAfee Knob, and I'm not sure if my body is just worn out, but this little hike had me stopping a lot and talking to myself ;). There are no switchbacks so though it is short you are heading straight up. Entirely doable, well marked and worth it at the top for the climbing and views.

This is a pretty tough hike, because it's around a 850ft elevation gain in 0.8 miles. Definitely worth it though, the rocks are incredible and the view from them is even better!

good hike alittle rocky

Nice trail. Good views at top. We went on a Sunday in July and the trail was busy. Would do again.

My boyfriend and I went on a gorgeous weekend in July 2017. He didn't seem to have any problem... he carried a backpack and didn't even seem to get out of breath. I struggled. This is the first hike I've been on. We went up and mostly stayed on the trail. It took us (lol me) an hour and 15 minutes to make it to the top. We definitely took our time. The top is a humbling view. However much you struggle- it's worth it. I laughed when he pointed out the tiny parking lot where the car was. It only took about 20 minutes going down. Much easier. We went off the trail on the way down and it seemed like we cut off a lot of time and distance. I was amazed at the number of kids & babies and older adults too. I would definitely wear some shoes that are supportive and fit you well. I'd love to do this again in the future!

We've done this Hike quite a few times. The parking lot isn't huge so most people end up parking wherever they can fit or down the road. It's a very steep ascent to the top so you'll have buns of steel by the end. Also- It amazes me how many people I've seen go up in jeans and flip flops. I recommend at least some sturdy sneakers because you will hit a point of slippery, wet rocks. And depending on the time of year, some muddy and icy spots. We've gone for sunset a few times which is a great view, but it's a very heavily trafficked trail and the top has always been crowded when we go. Our friends bring their bigger dogs for the Hike and it seems to be ok for them if you wanted to bring yours, too. I also get eaten alive for some reason most times on that trail. I always pack lots of bug spray.

Difficult short hike. Incline 1600 feet. The look at the end is well worth the hike with a view of the whole valley

12/16/15 really cool hike awesome rock formations

One of my favorite hikes even though it is a short one. I live close to this trail so getting up early to do it to watch the sunrise is nice. The trail isn't to difficult even at its hardest. The view from the top is worth the climb for sure!!

This is a wonderful hike, as evidenced by its popularity. Despite the short distance and abundant shade with the tree canopy, I felt like I got a good workout on the steep climb up on a recent warm July day. The first section of the trail is wide and mostly gravel. The upper section, though not difficult, requires you to navigate some rocks. It is definitely worth the effort when you get to the view at the summit. In addition, there is some fun and easy rock scrambling to get to the most scenic spots. There is additional parking available by the visitor center north of the trailhead lot. This allowed me to extend my hike through the restored mountain farm area.

Incredible views at the top - almost 360 degrees.

Beautiful view, not a huge hike.